cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G750JH-DB71 > NDIS 6.30 to 6.40

Megis
Level 7
Howdy,

I am told NDIS 6.40 is in Windows 8.1, however I have Windows 8.1 64 bit & my Device Manager indicates I have:

• Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30). A query in Power Shell also states I have 6.30.

I need 6.40 installed & I'm having a hard time finding it to even attempt an install & frankly once I do have it, I'm not entirely sure how to install it.

I'm trying to use Miracast from my Android device to the laptop, however it requires NDIS 6.40.

Thank you
11 REPLIES 11

hmscott
Level 12
Megis wrote:
Howdy,
I am told NDIS 6.40 is in Windows 8.1, however I have Windows 8.1 64 bit & my Device Manager indicates I have:

• Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30). A query in Power Shell also states I have 6.30.

I need 6.40 installed & I'm having a hard time finding it to even attempt an install & frankly once I do have it, I'm not entirely sure how to install it.
I'm trying to use Miracast from my Android device to the laptop, however it requires NDIS 6.40.
Thank you

Megis, the G750JH won't do Miracast as it only has an Nvidia GPU - this is actually a good thing, as the G750JH doesn't have Optimus - what you get when you have an active Intel GPU - it is a real PITA 🙂

Even if you had Miracast capability on the laptop, you wouldn't be able to display the Android screen to/on the laptop, only a Miracast TV or a device with an HDMI input that you could plug in a Miracast dongle. Most laptops don't have an HDMI *input*

Intel Graphics Drivers - Miracast* FAQ
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034563.htm

What is needed for Miracast to work?

Windows 8.1 operating system
PC with the following:
Supported Intel graphics
Supported Intel® Chipset
WiFi adapter that supports Miracast
Latest Intel® Graphics Driver installed
A display (e.g. TV) that supports Miracast or a TV paired with a TV adapter that supports Miracast

What is Miracast*?

Miracast is an industry standard created by the Wi-Fi Alliance* association, and is incorporated into Microsoft Windows 8.1* operating system. Devices that are Wi-Fi Certified Miracast* enable easy content streaming between devices, such as a laptop to TV, or a laptop to a projector.

Discover Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast
http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-certified-miracast

There are Android apps that over Wifi or BT will set up a server on Windows to accept viewing remotely the PC side on the Android side.

How to View an Android Phone Screen on a PC - USB cable
http://classroom.synonym.com/android-phone-screen-pc-9828.html

Mirroring an Android device screen onto your desktop - Wifi
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/mobileblog/entry/mirroring_an_android_device_scre...

You may be able to cobble together a mating of devices to get what you want, wireless display of a Miracast stream on the Windows laptop screen. A USB HDMI input, and a Miracast HDMI dongle... if you get it to work, please let us know 🙂

Megis
Level 7
Howdy,

Thank you so much for the very informative response.

Sadly, I will have to chalk this one up to my not fully understanding this site: http://www.airserver.com/ as I saw/see no mention of a dongle required & figured since I have an awesome machine with Windows 8.1 it would of course work.

I shall look to see if the WiFi link you provided shall suffice as all I really am after is the ability to mirror my Android screen on to the ROG, however every time I searched I ended up with results about using my tablet as a remote.

It also seems I was using the Miracast name when maybe I should have been using a different name as Miracast seems to be a specific type of technology where a dongle is required & I wanted/want a simple mirroring of my tablet's screen on the ROG.

Again, thank you so much for the leads as I already believe after a quick scan of the links they may lead me towards my goal.

Megis

Megis wrote:
Howdy,

Thank you so much for the very informative response.

Sadly, I will have to chalk this one up to my not fully understanding this site: http://www.airserver.com/ as I saw/see no mention of a dongle required & figured since I have an awesome machine with Windows 8.1 it would of course work.

I shall look to see if the WiFi link you provided shall suffice as all I really am after is the ability to mirror my Android screen on to the ROG, however every time I searched I ended up with results about using my tablet as a remote.

It also seems I was using the Miracast name when maybe I should have been using a different name as Miracast seems to be a specific type of technology where a dongle is required & I wanted/want a simple mirroring of my tablet's screen on the ROG.

Again, thank you so much for the leads as I already believe after a quick scan of the links they may lead me towards my goal.

Megis

Megis, it would have helped to post the AirServer info in your original request 🙂

Introducing AirServer Universal for PC
AirPlay + Miracast receiver for PC is finally here!
http://www.airserver.com/

So they are implementing everything to provide a Miracast Receiver on a PC/Mac. 🙂

The answer seems to be here:

Airserver Universal System Requirements
http://support.airserver.com/customer/portal/articles/1746310-airserver-universal-system-requirement...

"PC's with older and incompatible WiFi adapters/drivers can use a compatible USB 3 adapter such as:

Asus USB-AC 56 (Dual-Band Wireless-AC1200 USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter)"

That's a pretty cheap solution to give you a compatible Wifi interface, give it a try and let us know how it works out 🙂

I also have NDIS 6.3 for ethernet, but I have NDIS 6.4 for Wifi, how about you?

...you aren't alone in the need...

Need help installing NDIS 6.4!
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2mi21a/need_help_installing_ndis_64/

...I also have the latest drivers, and don't have 6.4... still looking... All the Qualcomm and Killer drivers for the G750 ethernet stop at NDIS 6.3

Introduction to NDIS 6.40 <== looks pretty new...
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn449742%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

So it looks like complaining to Asus to get Qualcomm/Killer to release an NDIS 6.4 update driver is the best bet, and of course file requests with both Qualcomm and Killer for updated E2200 drivers with NDIS 6.4

For now, try the AirServer recommendation and get the Asus USB-AC 56 (Dual-Band Wireless-AC1200 USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter)"

Please keep us up to date on your implementation 🙂

Too bad AirServer is a paid product... sigh.

BVr77
Level 7
oulah,

You 're talking about Wireless Display and you mentioned a wired driver.

@hmscott you have mixed up Intel Wireless Display and Miracast.
Miracast doesn't need any Intel Graphic Card to work , and Nvidia GC works.

You can't use your laptop as a receiver, and the HDMI port is just an output one, so impossible to use a dongle.
So if you want to duplicate your smartphone on your laptop the simpliest solution is to use a wired solution.

BVr77 wrote:

@hmscott you have mixed up Intel Wireless Display and Miracast.
Miracast doesn't need any Intel Graphic Card to work , and Nvidia GC works.

You can't use your laptop as a receiver, and the HDMI port is just an output one, so impossible to use a dongle.
So if you want to duplicate your smartphone on your laptop the simpliest solution is to use a wired solution.

BVr77, I quoted from the Intel Miracast website, and provided the the URL the quotes came from, it is all info for Miracast as Meris requested. Go to the links and read up on it.

Intel WiDi is another such wireless method, all these disparate methods are supposed to merge someday... who knows.

Intel WiDi and Intel Pro Wireless Display
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-wireless-display.html

All of them have the idea of a projector / streaming source ending up via wireless on a remote display. All are a canned ecosystem, not intended for bi-directional screen sharing. Some are popular enough to have dongles for them, and some are implemented in TV/Monitors.

The other wired/wireless methods of getting Android screen mirroring aren't WiDi/Miracast, but should work toward the end goal 🙂

Those other URL's show

Megis
Level 7
Howdy,

You are correct I should have mentioned AirServer-- no cookie for moi.

It is a paid product, however I am a fledgling twitch streamer & have no issue paying for a product which works...and this one does-- just not for me, yet.

My NDIS is at 6.3 for both:

As for it being new, I believe it was pushed on the 2nd of September last year (which is new) & the update hit me on the 17th of said month. I remember the first time I saw Bluetooth at the Las Vegas COMDEX cira. 1999(?). It was not a household word then, but then cassette tape & laser disk really aren't any more either, so Bluetooth may be sitting on the shelf next to them someday soon & Miracast may be the next buzz someday.

I shall complain...err...write e-mails to the mentioned parties & thank you for providing the information to pester them with NDIS 6.40 & E2200.

Once I have the USB adapter, I'll post back.

Thank you,

Megis

Megis wrote:
Howdy,

You are correct I should have mentioned AirServer-- no cookie for moi.

It is a paid product, however I am a fledgling twitch streamer & have no issue paying for a product which works...and this one does-- just not for me, yet.

My NDIS is at 6.3 for both:

As for it being new, I believe it was pushed on the 2nd of September last year (which is new) & the update hit me on the 17th of said month. I remember the first time I saw Bluetooth at the Las Vegas COMDEX cira. 1999(?). It was not a household word then, but then cassette tape & laser disk really aren't any more either, so Bluetooth may be sitting on the shelf next to them someday soon & Miracast may be the next buzz someday.

I shall complain...err...write e-mails to the mentioned parties & thank you for providing the information to pester them with NDIS 6.40 & E2200.

Once I have the USB adapter, I'll post back.

Thank you,

Megis

Megis, my NDIS 6.4 driver is from the 1202 Wifi module I just got them from Killer, it's the Killer Suite + K1202 Bluetooth packages.

Killer Drivers for Killer Wireless-AC, Killer Wireless-N, and Killer E2200
http://www.killernetworking.com/support/driver-downloads

You will want to download both, then uninstall all the Qualcomm Wifi / BT you find in Programs and Features, as well as the Ethernet driver, reboot, and then install the Suite and then the BT package.

That should get you NDIS 6.4 for Wifi 🙂

Hopefully KillerNetworking will follow up with the E2200 NDIS 6.4 update soon.

Have fun!

Megis
Level 7
Howdy,

(STAND DOWN: Got my internet back...didn't have WiFi turned on)

Got a slight bit of freak out going on here...

I deleted the 3 entries in my Programs & Features:

Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth Suite (64)
Qualcomm Atheros Inc.(R) AR851Family Gigabit/Fast...
Qualcomm Atheros Killer Wireless-N Suite

Then I installed the Suite.
Restarted the machine as requested.
Installed the BT.
Restarted machine as requested.
Now I only have Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth Suite (64) showing & I don't have internet connection.

Megis

Megis wrote:
Howdy,

(STAND DOWN: Got my internet back...didn't have WiFi turned on)

Got a slight bit of freak out going on here...

I deleted the 3 entries in my Programs & Features:

Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth Suite (64)
Qualcomm Atheros Inc.(R) AR851Family Gigabit/Fast...
Qualcomm Atheros Killer Wireless-N Suite

Then I installed the Suite.
Restarted the machine as requested.
Installed the BT.
Restarted machine as requested.
Now I only have Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth Suite (64) showing & I don't have internet connection.

Megis

Megis, glad to hear you found the On switch, that's an important part of the process 😉

The question is, does it show as NDIS 6.4 Wifi for you now?

The Suite has both Wifi and Ethernet drivers, so you will only get 2 Programs and Features entries, one for the Suite (contains Wifi and Ethernet drivers) and Bluetooth, like this: