cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X99-A slow to enter splash screen

biotex
Level 7
Hi guys, I created an account just to troubleshoot this problem. Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes:

I recently built a spanking new gaming rig with these parts:
Mobo: X99-A
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4
CPU: Core i7 5820k
PSU: Seasonic X-series 750w
Graphics: Gigabyte 980 Windforce G1 Gaming
Drives: Samsung 840 evo 240gb and WD Black 1tb

Overclocks: CPU and GPU (Clocks were reset when I upgraded BIOS to latest ver.1401)

So here's my problem, before entering the splash screen takes over 15 seconds from pressing the power button and the total boot
time on my system is around 30 seconds with an SSD. SSD is in the first sata 3 bus (native), with the sata 3 cable attached. The bios is set to fast boot and boot priority is set to my SSD. UEFI is enabled and I disabled legacy drives. I tried disabling all USB devices. I tried turning off all the sata ports. I even tried removing the hard drives one by one, removing all but one stick of ram, and
removing the graphics card. None of these solutions helped speed up the time it took to get to the splash screen. I was told this was a defective bios chip and I would need a mobo replacement. I thought a bios chip was either corrupt or not. Can a bios chip be partially corrupt? I have heard rumors of the terrible RMA service that Asus provides and would like to fix my problem instead of getting a replacement if possible. I am pulling hairs out trying to figure out this problem. Please help.
16 REPLIES 16

Raja
Level 13
Base POST time from cold power up is longer on the X99 platform than the Z series platforms due to the training processes for quad channel memory and more PCIe lanes taking longer. Check the POST codes that are cycling, if they are memory related then its the memory training that is taking time. You can stop the system from training each time by enabling attempt cold fast BOOT in the DRAM timing menu. The side effect of doing that is the chance of increased memory instability.

Certain USB devices can slow down BOOT time - but those usually occur at the splash screen rather than before it (unless it's just before in your case).

Base POST time from cold power up is longer on the X99 platform than the Z series platforms due to the training processes for quad channel memory and more PCIe lanes taking longer. Check the POST codes that are cycling, if they are memory related then its the memory training that is taking time. You can stop the system from training each time by enabling attempt cold fast BOOT in the DRAM timing menu. The side effect of doing that is the chance of increased memory instability.

So why doesn't z170 take 20 to 30 seconds to boot using DDR4 ? Quad channel vs Dual ? Higher performance = slower performance? I think Asus can tweak ultra fast boot for speed improvements.

Raja@ASUS wrote:

Certain USB devices can slow down BOOT time - but those usually occur at the splash screen rather than before it (unless it's just before in your case).

Dear All,

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY NEW X-99PRO BOARD.

Problem Description: All motherboards except for this problematic one WILL beep and WILL display splash screen right away upon pressing POWER BUTTON. No sir! Not on this motherboard! You press the power button, and it jerks around from 17 seconds to 35 seconds (depending on what you have disabled such as DDR4 training & what you have enabled such as Fast Boot) before the video card starts the splash screen and you hear a beep.

So, ASUS, please tell us. What is wrong with this motherboard?

Please give us a straight answer. What can we do to make the computer beep and start POST splash screen when power button is pressed?

We are all sick and tired of spending $300 on this "performance-class" mobo, and getting a very very long boot time.

My specs: ASUS X-99PRO. i7-5930. 64GB CORSAIR DDR4. GTX760. 512MB SAMSUNG 950PRO M.2.

AA

biotex
Level 7
The longest post codes during the cycle are 62 (Installation of the PCH Runtime Services) 72 (PCH devices initialization). I am very new to error code debugging so I have no idea what this means.I understand that this board takes longer than others to boot, but 35 seconds seems a bit ridiculous. I see most people booting with this board under 15 seconds.

Raja
Level 13
The only thing you can do to debug is to unplug devices one by one and see what kind of change it has on BOOT time.

matrixleader
Level 8
Yes I have the same problem and noone even cares to help:

See: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74677-X-99-Deluxe-takes-25-seconds-to-show-splash-screen-fr...

This is the worst motherboard I have ever owned (X-99 Deluxe). By the time I see the splash screen, my laptop would've booted into Windows and I am already playing a game or surfing the net. So much for a high performance board.

Nate152
Hi Guys !

I'm using the maximus viii formula z170 motherboard, boot time for me is around 30 seconds from the time I press the power button until I'm in windows, I'm using the ocz vector sata sdd. If you can make it to windows in 17 seconds that's pretty good in my opinion.

As Raja says DDR4 memory training takes longer than with previous motherboards, I sometimes hit the power button then go to the fridge and grab something to drink, by the time I come back it's ready to go. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Guys !

I'm using the maximus viii formula z170 motherboard, boot time for me is around 30 seconds from the time I press the power button until I'm in windows, I'm using the ocz vector sata sdd. If you can make it to windows in 17 seconds that's pretty good in my opinion.

As Raja says DDR4 memory training takes longer than with previous motherboards, I sometimes hit the power button then go to the fridge and grab something to drink, by the time I come back it's ready to go. 🙂

Hey Nate:

• We are not talking about long OS boot time. I have excellent OS boot time of 5 seconds.

• We are not talking about Z170 board. We are talking about X99's very strange behavior.

• WE are not talking about long POST time. We are talking about how the X99 board jerks around before POST.

• The 17 seconds that I mentioned is not my OS boot time. It is the time my X99PRO takes BEFORE it beeps and displays boot splash screen since I pressed power button. That is ridiculous - and that is the topic.

• If you experience this problem, YOU WILL BE VERY PISSED !

Thanks for your feedback nevertheless!

AA

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Guys !

I have the exact same problem on my Asus X99-A USB 3.1 Motherboard. I am using samsung 960 PRO but irony is my wife's MSI Haswell based Laptop is 15 ( timed ) faster to load windows then my $220+ motherboard. It doesnt matter weather I am Dual or Quad channel rams.