cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New out of the box G751JY setup question

MiK
Level 7
Hi Hi Everyone!

I have finally bite the bullet and decided to get a G751GY and all being well I get it at the weekend.

(Spec)
ASUS G751JY-T7117H
Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Quad Core Processor
17.3" Full HD Screen
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
24GB DDR3 RAM
256GB SSD + 1000GB HDD
Blu-Ray
Dedicated GeForce GTX 980M 4GB Graphics
USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth | DisplayPort
Backlit Keyboard
G751JY-T7117H

I have been reading the forums and I'm a little "confuddled" in exactly what I need to do soon as I get it out the box with regards getting it setup perfectly now so I have less issues later on.

Is there anything I need to have at hand before I boot the machine??
ie a USB memory stick or some driver or other already downloaded or mess about with this or that bios setting ??

Any advice is really welcomed or pointers to which thread I should really read and trust.

Many thanks in advance
MiK
12 REPLIES 12

Clintlgm
Level 14
Generally with any Gaming notebook, the very first thing I would recommend is testing, stress test your GPU with Furmark and your CPU with Burn in test. You can download Hwinfo64 and run the sensors keep them open as you test and stress they'll show you the load, temp and fan speeds. If all is good with temps under full load then run a good bench mark test everything USB 3.0, DVD, HDMI Sound Make sure everything is up to Gaming right off if not you should have completed testing/stressing before your time to return for refund time limit is up.
If you find all is good to go load your software and games and enjoy your new notebook.
You can uninstall most any of the bloat ware you don't want or need. I wouldn't worry about that until you find one annoying or are completely satisfied you don't need or want it for anything.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I would get a USB hard drive and plug it into the LEFT usb ports. Try thrashing the drive with a few gigabyte file transfers. (movies and stuff say) If yours is like mine, even with bios 206, your drive will disconnect and the transfer will at some point fail. You need to know if you can live with that.

Next, use your incredible G51JY in all kinds of places, like on your bed, the kitchen table, the sofa. Just get that static electricity up where it would be if you were using it like most people do. Then see if your most wonderful laptop "Black screens" for you.

Black Screens. Yes. Search for threads on it. There are many. Here's hoping that you never have this problem because then maybe there is hope for the rest of us if we RMA our machines.

MiK
Level 7
Cheers Clintlgm I'll get those downloaded and ready prior to delivery, but I'm guessing that smallj53 has had some issues ??!!

Well if it has issues send it back, don't hesitate and miss your return for replacement of refund. We mostly only see the bad ones here, most have no issues at all. The left USB ports in 3.0 mode, has been an Issues since at least the G75 and not everyone has that issue either and they'll work just fine as USB 2.0. I personally work around it using a USB 3.0 Hub on the Right front port with my Bluetooth sender under the right angle adapter cable. You don't have to accept this if you have it. Even in this forum not everyone has that Issue.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

MiK
Level 7
Last dumb question, do I need to download anything to update the system ?

I am a great believer of "if it isnt broken dont fix it" saying this I know I will need to grab the latest nvidia drivers but do I need to mess about with the bios ?? (something I have never done before)

Thanks again
MiK

I don't actually have a G751 so can't really advise you on BIOS updates, you will find that info here if you look. I'm not against updating BIOS's but on my G75VW I stopped at Ver 210. I really couldn't get anyone to verify any improvements in Ver 211 222 or 223. I 'm running 8.1 pro with no issues.
So that leaves you with MS OS updates
I would advise to watch this forum as new NVidia drivers come out people here will try them and report back good bad or indifferent, and there have been issues with some of the latest so pay attention here before updating them.

Good luck you have purchased a Beast of a Notebook and mostly you shouldn't have any problems but it's worth testing quickly to identify any you may have, as you see here in this forum some units do have issues some are solved and some not. You don't want to try to fix something and miss your return for refund or Replacement window.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

MiK
Level 7
Had my system for a few days now and daaaaamn its nice, everything seems to be running well - admittedly I did have a black screen on boot up problem once or twice but I kinda figured out as long as I "shut down" via the "POWER OPTIONS" button on the main win 8 tile page and not via the desktop that problem stopped right away and havent had a black screen on load up since.

I ran Firestrike and Sky Diver on 3DMARK and these are the scores I got
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6472805

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6472923

not too sure how theses scores compare to everyone else but its so nice to have everything ramped up on ultra and 60+ fps

MiK wrote:
Had my system for a few days now and daaaaamn its nice, everything seems to be running well - admittedly I did have a black screen on boot up problem once or twice but I kinda figured out as long as I "shut down" via the "POWER OPTIONS" button on the main win 8 tile page and not via the desktop that problem stopped right away and havent had a black screen on load up since.

I ran Firestrike and Sky Diver on 3DMARK and these are the scores I got
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6472805

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6472923

not too sure how theses scores compare to everyone else but its so nice to have everything ramped up on ultra and 60+ fps

Nice brech, but don't forget the "backtraker USB Recovery Drive".
I"m so jealous, the GTX-980m is the fastest mobile card out at the moment.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55
Level 10
MiK wrote:
Hi Hi Everyone!

I have finally bite the bullet and decided to get a G751GY and all being well I get it at the weekend.

(Spec)
ASUS G751JY-T7117H
Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Quad Core Processor
17.3" Full HD Screen
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
24GB DDR3 RAM
256GB SSD + 1000GB HDD
Blu-Ray
Dedicated GeForce GTX 980M 4GB Graphics
USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth | DisplayPort
Backlit Keyboard
G751JY-T7117H

I have been reading the forums and I'm a little "confuddled" in exactly what I need to do soon as I get it out the box with regards getting it setup perfectly now so I have less issues later on.

Is there anything I need to have at hand before I boot the machine??
ie a USB memory stick or some driver or other already downloaded or mess about with this or that bios setting ??

Any advice is really welcomed or pointers to which thread I should really read and trust.

Many thanks in advance
MiK

Hi MiK, and welcome to the Asus ROG Forum.

The first thing you should do is create your Backtracker USB Recovery Flash drive.
Just in case of system failure, then you can recovery back the factory installed system.
(Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash drive 16GB works really well)
Download the latest version of the Asus Backtracker>>>>
Download V3.0.8

Here's a couple 'Bloatware" items you can uninstall.

1. Asus Live Update Utility. (This Utility has a problem with updating the BIOS, and has bricked some NBs)
2. Asus Splendid Video Enhancement Technology. (Color setting are very bad IMHO)

Then just run Windows Update, and get the OS up to date.
You can update the BIOS version to the latest version in the BIOS with EZ-Flash Utility. (much safer way to update the BIOS)

Good luck my friend, and enjoy your new G751JY!

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"