cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 4790 or 4790k

BigDRim
Level 7
Hello!

I need some advices on a CPU choice: i7 4790 or 4790k. From what I've seen all on most websites, people end up buying the "k" version.
The first reason is overclock but it is not a valid one for me as I won't overclock.

The second is why it makes me hesitate: the "k" version has 0.4ghz more frequency. I'm wondering if these Mhz worth ~70 euros?

I know for now it won't change anything noticeably (in gaming) so I'm tempted to take the non-k.
But can the k version let me skip one more CPU generation than the non-k? In that case I'll go with the k version.

Thanks for your advices!
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
The 4790k is clocked 400Mhz faster than the 4790.

If you have decent cooling go with the 4790k, you can overclock it in the future if you ever decide to.

As I won't overclock now I will try stock cooler first then be quiet pure rock. And next year or even after, hopefully I'll find cheaper watercooling options for overclocking.

BigDRim
Level 7
Ok thanks I think I'll go with the 4790k, but does it need good cooling even at stock speed? An entry level cpu cooler won't be enough?

kkn
Level 14
stock cooler is good enough for the K chip.

The stock cooler will work fine but temps under load will be high. It would be a good idea to upgrade your cpu cooler to something like the corsair h100i if your case supports it, you'd have much better temps and you could overclock it too.

Ahtlon
Level 7
I would go for the 4790K , it's 70 euro more but it is more future proof if you want to play cpu heavy games, this because it's already one of the fastest cpu's and if you need more speed after a few years, you can easily overclock it further.
You can then easily skip the Skylake and wait a few years, in the future it comes more on how fast your gpu is, if you only use the pc for gaming.
For now a decent cooler can keep this cpu within temps, these are about the 50 a 70 euro mark, the stock cooler can do it also, but it all depends on the airflow in the case.

BigDRim
Level 7
Thanks for your answer!
I will get the 4790k tomorrow 🙂