cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX BHI7N11 If I get a 144hz monitor, can I use the thunderbolt port as mini DP?

Secret_Society
Level 8
I've seen some people say the thunderbolt port can be used as a mini Displayport interface for a monitor. Is this true? I've been looking at monitors that are 144hz and have tried to find information on the net about how I can make sure if I ever did get a 144hz monitor it would work with that speed. From what I've gathered, HDMI will only do 60hz at 1080p. So I don't think HDMI will work. If I can use the thunderbolt port as a mini Displayport, will it achieve 144hz?

Also, I have the Asus laptop G75VX BHI7N11.

How can I find out the version of HDMI I have?
How can I find out the version of thunderbolt I have?

No specs anywhere state the versions...

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Pandur
Level 10
You can connect a mDP monitor directly to the TB port. Depending on the version of TB in your laptop you'll get a DP 1.1a or 1.2 compatible output.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Pandur wrote:
You can connect a mDP monitor directly to the TB port. Depending on the version of TB in your laptop you'll get a DP 1.1a or 1.2 compatible output.

Wow, I haven't responded to this for about 5 months. Thanks for the input. I just wish there was a way to tell what Thunderbolt version I have...