cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ new user has some questions

VerKer
Level 7
Hi everyone,

got my G20AJ yesterday, a version with 12 GB Ram, GTX970, 64GB SSD and several questions came up. I thought i d list them here on the forums and see what more experienced users can come up with. Maybe this is even helpful for other inexperienced users:

1) Cant find the SD card reader, neither on the device nor in the manual. Overlooking something obvious or - there is none?
2) Same for buildt in speaker, there s none?
3) 1st bootup i had graphical issues (small colored squares all over the screen), could only install by setting "force internal gaphics" in the bios. Later i did set that to "force GPU" and it seems to work. Dont dare to set it "auto" again, the graphical errors might return. Is my GTX970 faulty?
4) The device came set up with a HDD partition C holding windows, a partition D for data, and an empty SSD named E. Shouldnt windows be on the SSD? Whats your advice to be put there and if its the OS how shall i do that starting off my current config?
5) It seems i dont own any games that will take the system to its limits - any free game demo you know of that will give the GTX970 a hard time? I didnt hear the fan yet (Civ5, hearthstone, Cities Skylines) other than for 2 secs on bootup.

Any help / comments appreciated, thanks in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

Ravenholme
Level 7
did someone else upgrade it or was it some 3rd party that set up the system? I know samsung SSDs can clone the drive and you just unplug the sata from the primary drive and it'll boot from the cloned drive, but you'd have to wipe the original partition OS and then merge the Data & original OS partitions. after formatting them (after making sure the cloned SSD OS works) however, your SSD is small. i don't recommend putting the OS on a 64GB drive. you may want to keep it as is. It took 2 days for me to figure out how to put my SSD in and figure out how to get it to be the primary boot drive.

as for your video card, it doesn't hurt for the Nvidia card to be primary, but i left it as auto i think in bios, i just disabled the intel graphics in device manager in windows as to not mess around with that stuff.

my system runs fine, i uninstalled the bloatware except the AEGIS & ROG software, i may have kept the intel software... not sure. anyway everything else i uninstalled because there was something that was causing it to slow down.

now everything runs smoothly.

SD card port = none
Speakers = none

As for games to push the card's limits i can't give that feedback as i'm still running the GTX 760.

Ravenholme wrote:
did someone else upgrade it or was it some 3rd party that set up the system? I know samsung SSDs can clone the drive and you just unplug the sata from the primary drive and it'll boot from the cloned drive, but you'd have to wipe the original partition OS and then merge the Data & original OS partitions. after formatting them (after making sure the cloned SSD OS works) however, your SSD is small. i don't recommend putting the OS on a 64GB drive. you may want to keep it as is. It took 2 days for me to figure out how to put my SSD in and figure out how to get it to be the primary boot drive.

as for your video card, it doesn't hurt for the Nvidia card to be primary, but i left it as auto i think in bios, i just disabled the intel graphics in device manager in windows as to not mess around with that stuff.

my system runs fine, i uninstalled the bloatware except the AEGIS & ROG software, i may have kept the intel software... not sure. anyway everything else i uninstalled because there was something that was causing it to slow down.

now everything runs smoothly.

SD card port = none
Speakers = none

As for games to push the card's limits i can't give that feedback as i'm still running the GTX 760.

First off thanks for your reply! This is quite strange for me and to be honest i am not sure if someone else has tempered with this system before me, since there seem to be several issues. The package itself looked a bit odd when i got it, i thought this was only due to transport since the was a transparent adhesive tape labeled "asus" covering the package.

At my 1st boot it looked like Win8 was run for the very first time. I also asked Asus support in chat about this, and they advised i should set back the system to factory settings, which would mean i loose all data and settings though. I dont think i m gonna do that as it might well be my SSD is too small for Win8 OS and it is actually intended to be set up this way. However the guy from Asus support claimed it wouldnt be.

I would also like to uninstall all the bloatware or even do a clean new install of Win8 (keeping my data on HDD drive d: though). You have any advice on how to do that, because i read there would be several issues with McAffee and whatnot. Any guide for a clean install on a G20 you can point me to ir sumsuch? Thanks!

Hello guys,

This topic is an interesting one. I recently bought a european version of the Asus ROG G20 (G20AJ-FR033S) with the dual graphic GPU (motherboard one and GTX 970). No problem with the PC so far, it was already in Windows 8.1 so no problem with the updates. I however need somes advices, as follow :

1) Can we safely remove Mc Afee ? Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender Pre-installed and I believe it's more than enough for a gaming oriented computer (no downloading or Internet browsing for me).
I heard that some people faced some troubles while trying to removing it.

2) Which programs do you consider as "bloatwares" and can be safely uninstalled / removed ?

3) Do you understand anything about the "eco energy mode" ? How does it work ? Is it compulsary to activate it in the BIOS first (through F2) each time you want to use this mode ? Do you need to unplug the GTX 970 power brick ? Do you really need to install VirtuWatt or Intel Management to use it ? Is it "safe" to let the two HDMIs cables (motherboard one and GTX 970) plugged in the monitor at the same time (no risk of conflict) ?

Sorry for all those questions, but the user manual is quite short and does not really address the G20's specificities.
Thanks for your support !

rene_canlas
Level 7
I have almost the same setup as you. Try running 3D Mark Fire Strike and report your scores here. Im getting 10.5k

Ravenholme
Level 7
with a GTX 760 i'm getting 5355 for fire strike (i have to check again but thats what i remember) i'm thinking of replacing it next year with whatever is out by then. (no rush on my end)

mortenstj
Level 9
I got G20AJ-NR040S with GTX980, i7-4790, 16GB, 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD and also Win 8.1

First thing I did was to uninstall McAfee and other "bloatwares". No problems whatsoever, just remove the programs you dont use 😉

Do not quite know about the "eco energy mode".

Anarchia99
Level 7
Hey guys which temps do u have with gtx 970 in game and which speed fan ?
Thx

will17721
Level 7
How exactly do I install the SSD to the front above the Disk-drive? I have looked and tried multiple times per day that I have (which is about 3 so far) and I still cannot figure it out. I would really appreciate the help.

dianebrat
Level 9
It's in the various tear down and overhaul threads, that's how I found the instructions, it's a bit long and complicated but be careful, take notes as needed, and go for it.

Summary is take off the side, take out the graphics card, start pulling off trim and GENTLY wobble the heatsink and you can remove the DVD/SSD tray out to install the drive.