cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is my old motherboard dead or can i revive it

mikecz1
Level 7
My old GA z68XP-UD3 rev.1.0 has been a good machine for me for years latly I pretty much had good times but now im slowing things up in games. My system is I7-3770k memory 32gb of crucial 1600DDR3
I was running 2 evga gtx580 sli with seasonic 1050w power and 2 27” Samsung S27c230 with Samsung SSD 850 EVO500g and a WD 2 TB, playing sc2 my frame rate got down to 4 in a 8 player game, bought a asus gtx780ti and it improved a little so I got another 780ti but when I went to connect sli my system would come on but just get a blank screen, no keyboard function no booting into bios. My machine just ran with blank screens . so I go and get a EVGA supernova 1300 G2 power supply and a Corsair H1001 watercooler and try it again same blank screens so now im selling the 780,s got a asus matrix 980 on the way. Can my motherboard and memory handle this or do I need to upgrade all and I don’t have lots of cash, Thanks in advance for any help im a 57 year old gamer always built my own systems and never had a problem but have not built a system for like 5 years now and I got problems
40 REPLIES 40

Nate152
Hello mikecz1 and welcome

The gtx 980 will work fine in your machine , but don't expect much of a performance gain going from a gtx 780ti to a gtx 980. It's basically the same performance with the gtx 980 using less power.

will my board run in sli with the bigger cards I don't know what happen there when I tried the sli because it worked fine with the 580,s

Nate152
If you still have both your 780ti's try them one at a time to confirm they both work, if they do both work try one in the 2nd pci express slot.

1050w is plenty of power and 1300w is more than enough for two 780ti's.

You should be able to sli gtx 980's no problem.

Man I tried that and both cards worked on their own but I am looking into seeing if I can find a 1155 motherboard that has the better pci 16 slots, you’re a great guy thanks so much I been out a gaming for a couple of years had a doctor run a red light and hit me on my Harley im still having surgery done, if not for my helmet id probably not be playing anything
Nate152 wrote:
If you still have both your 780ti's try them one at a time to confirm they both work, if they do both work try one in the 2nd pci express slot.

1050w is plenty of power and 1300w is more than enough for two 780ti's.

You should be able to sli gtx 980's no problem.

Nate152
OH wow sorry to hear that mike.

If you're going to upgrade that's great, come back and let us know everything is working or if you're still having problems.

Socket 1155 is the same as my board, it still rocks and plays any game out there!

mikecz1
Level 7
how many pci 16 sockets you got and are they the type that I get good performance out of my cards tell me the name of it anyway ill probably by one, thank

Nate152
For 2 cards in sli the maximus v formula would be a good choice, if you're going to use more than 2 graphics cards then you'd want the maximus v extreme.

Because of the pcie lane limitations on ivy bridge/haswell, 16 pcie lanes is all you get. 2 gpu's will run at x8 x8 and there is no performance loss going from x16 to x8.

The maximus v formula would be a good choice for 2 way sli and supports the 3770k cpu. You probably won't find one at an online store anywhere as they are discontinued. I suppose you could try e-bay, I don't trust buying used motherboards but if they have a return policy it might be the only place to find one.

I see e-bay has the maximus v gene which will work too, it's a micro atx board but packs a big punch like the formula, it's just a smaller board.

If you can find the maximus v formula for a good deal that would be the one to get.

mikecz1
Level 7
I just bought one on ebay ASUS ROG Maximus V Extreme Intel Z77 EATX, LGA 1155 DDR3 Sata 6Gb/s

Item price $189.99

Nate152
Oh wow that's the same board I have. Even though it's an older board it's still a nice board. You should be able to hit 4.8 - 5.0GHz with your H100i.

You can run up to 4 gpu's in the maximus v extreme. When using 3-4 gpu's it has a PLX chip that kicks in and adds the extra pcie lanes. The more expensive rampage boards can have up to 40 pcie lanes therefore no plx chip is needed in those.

189.99 is about half price when it was released.

Maybe this will get you excited a little haha.

Here's my 3770k at 5.0GHz in the maximus v extreme.

Click on it a couple times to make it bigger to read.