cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM Memory won't fit/seat properly [solved]

Vastari
Level 7
I just received 2x8GB sticks to upgrade my G750JM in the easy access compartment. However, the last module that is placed over the other module (while upside down) doesn't secure properly. I can see the tabs on the side that hold the RAM look a little different. It's not holding securely at all in that once the clips go over it, the module slides up and down easily. I tried using 2 legos that perfectly held the RAM in but that didn't seem to work either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

hmscott
Level 12
Vastari wrote:
I just received 2x8GB sticks to upgrade my G750JM in the easy access compartment. However, the last module that is placed over the other module (while upside down) doesn't secure properly. I can see the tabs on the side that hold the RAM look a little different. It's not holding securely at all in that once the clips go over it, the module slides up and down easily. I tried using 2 legos that perfectly held the RAM in but that didn't seem to work either.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Vastari, usually that means the SODIMM isn't fitted properly into the slot. You likely did the same for both SODIMM's, so remove both, and start again.

Place the SODIMM vertically in the aligned slot, then slowly - with a little down pressure which converts to angled side pressure - wiggle the SODIMM down until it is pushed into the slot completely and clicked into the clips.

Then do same for the 2nd SODIMM.

And, don't use foreign objects to insert components - as you apply pressure they can slip and damage other components. You don't need anything other than your fingers/nails to do this.

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

hmscott, you're a genius! I've installed RAM a bunch of times and always try to give it the proper attention, but I focused on the loose DIMM instead of the one behind it. Thanks so your help!

I'm now happily running at 24GB of memory. As a kid who spent $200USD for a 512k memory module so many years ago, it's pretty crazy to have so much.