Diver wont install
When opening file PG278Q.inf in notepad it says
; =================================================
; ASUS_PG278Q.INF 04/29/2014 Ver. 1.0
; INF File for Windows Vista/XP/Me/9x/2000
; Copyright (c) 2014, ASUS Corporation
; =================================================

Nvidia driver sees monitor, but windows device manager/monitor does not

When setting a higher Hz than 85Hz 1440p it starts to flicker/strobo and screen is not viewable

Works fine in win 7 with g-sync 1440p 144hz, but I want it to run in xp

Any one knows how to fix this ?
6 REPLIES 6

Volt
Level 9
Sorry I don't know of a fix.

Win XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

Someone might come up with a patch or fix for it. But who knows when. Try looking on the Overclock forum
http://www.overclock.net/f/44/monitors-and-displays

alubat
Level 7
Thanks. i know windows xp is not microsoft supported on consumer market anymore.
Nvidia still makes gfx cards and drivers for xp . like gtx 760, gtx 960. It is possible to find modded drivers for the other 9xx cards.
I will keep on searching 🙂

X-ROG
Level 15
You need a modern OS. If you mod drivers don't expect full support. Cmon dude, you bought a $700 monitor but can't upgrade to a modern OS?

Korth
Level 14
All newer desktop Windows versions have a sandboxed WinXP compatibility mode (and, lol, also DirectX 10+), and even the most stubbornly persistent software compatibility quirks can be fully resolved with a dedicated WinXP install running within a virtual machine or multi-boot.

Continuing to use an End-Of-Life OS (like Windows XP) is just asking for more and more limitations and incompatibilities with each subsequent hardware/driver release. This problem between XP and your new monitor is just a hint of many frustrations to come if you plan to mix-and-match cutting-edge and legacy technologies.

Personally, I prefer official driver support from NVidia/Asus/etc. Not unofficial workarounds, patches, and hacks (and compromises) to keep things barely going. Had enough of that in ancient WinNT and slackware/debian days.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

alubat
Level 7
Yes I can upgrade 🙂
I am running multiboot win xp 32bit & win 7 🙂
I prefer to game direct x 9 games in win xp as it runs them best. My ping/server latency and system latency is better in Xp than the newer microsoft OS which is bloated with alot more background processes & services.

I just think it is wired that Asus wrote Xp support in the .inf install file, when its not working 🙂

alubat
Level 7
Found a usefull sollution for higher Hz i win Xp
I set a custom profile at 143Hz since there is already a profile for 144Hz(which not wotk)

NVIDIA Control Panel
Display -> Change resolution
Customize -> Create Custom Resolution

Horisontal pixels: 2560 Vertical lines: 1440
refresh rate (Hz): 143 Color depth (bpp): 32

Scan type: Progressive

Timing
Standard: Automatic

PG278Q.inf

Device manager can still not find monitor

An error occurred during installation of the device

A service installation section in this INF is invalid.