cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Backtracker encompass windows 8.1 Pro upgrade?

KeyResults
Level 7
Immediately after getting my new G751JY I went ahead and bought the Pro upgrade to Windows 8.1 preinstalled by ASUS. (I wanted Hyper-V mostly)

Anyway, I have downloaded and used the Backtracker utility to backup both OS and ASUS Apps to a USB stick.

My question is this, is the recovery partition updated by Microsoft when you upgrade to Pro automagically, and therefore covered in the Backtracker recovery process?

Or, do I need to retrieve and retain the Windows 8.1 Pro upgrade key in the event of drive failure/replacement?

I do have separate Acronis True Image drive backup, as well as the MS image backup and recovery.

Thanks,

K
2 REPLIES 2

hmscott
Level 12
Asus Backtracker only backs up the Recovery Partition, and that only contains the out of the box configuration from Asus, no updates get applied to that recovery partition.

KeyResults
Level 7
Ok, so basically, if we recover a Win 8.1 preload to Win 8.1 Pro, we just need to reapply the in place upgrade key from Microsoft after recovery?

Microsoft leaves no record in the system, bios or otherwise, that you upgraded to Pro on your system except in operating system disk partion?

I guess that means you really need to hold on to those Microsoft store invoices with the upgrade key!

Thanks.

K