cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751-JM ram upgrade to 24GB?

leonrazor
Level 7
Hi everyone,
I bought this G751JM (i7-4710HQ/ 16GB ram/ GTX 860M/) like a month ago.
I currently have 2 free ram slots, and I was thinking if i can buy another single 8GB ram (same Hynix 1.35v) to max the performance.

Will it work with 24GB(3x8GB) or it needs another 8GB (32GB 4x8GB)?

thanks!;)
7 REPLIES 7

rracres
Level 7
You are better running 2 more 8 gigs total 32gigs so that you continue to run in dual channel.

Whats the difference of dual channel vs 3 sticks 4 slots ram?

FJRmann
Level 7
I've always installed ram in pairs. I added two (4 gig) sticks for 24 total in my machine

rracres
Level 7
Dual channel doubles amount of information going to memory controller. Think of it as double lane highway to controller vs single lane. Two 64 bits for 128bits. You need to populate ram in pairs to get the advantage. Hope this helps you understand.

rracres wrote:
Dual channel doubles amount of information going to memory controller. Think of it as double lane highway to controller vs single lane. Two 64 bits for 128bits. You need to populate ram in pairs to get the advantage. Hope this helps you understand.

thanks very much! So I guess I have to go for 2x 8GB?
Any recommendation what type of ram? Should i go with Hynix as preinstalled ones, or any other manufacturer for better performance?

FJRmann
Level 7
I installed a pair of Crucial sticks, no issues

rracres
Level 7
If possible stay with the same ram that is installed. You can get away with other manufacturers but can run into compatibility problems once in awhile. I'm thinking of upgrading myself and will stick with the Samsung that is in my machine now. Good luck.