Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD's suddenly not working on Crosshair Formula IV

supercell
Level 7
Hello,

MB: Crosshair Formula IV
CPU: AM3 (AMD Sempron Phenom II 1090T)
RAM: 16GB Crucial DDR 800 1666 (TESTED SUCCESSFULLY WITH MEMTEST 86+ [LATEST VER])
VIDEO: EVGA GEFORCE GT 630 (LATEST DRIVERS)
HDD: SYSTEM DRIVE FROM SSD BACK TO SATA DUE TO TOO MANY BSOD'S
RAID: NONE
BIOS: LATEST THEY HAD FOR THIS MB (2012)

ISSUE:

At first, using 2 - crucial M4, 256GB in a RAID 1 configuration worked fine for well over a year. No issues at all. Then I begin to get S.M.A.R.T. errors on one of the drives. I upgrade the SSD's firmware and it takes a dive. Having one drive was fine for my system drive (same exact make and model SSD as the aforementioned one that crapped out). Later on, this sole SSD starts random BSOD's out of nowhere. MEMTEST 86+ (latest ver) to check RAM. No issues. Figured the drive was on its way out. I order a new, later model (the original one's I had are now too old). I bought the M550 256GB from Crucial. I put the same image from the SSD that was crapping out onto this one. I took the "crapping out" SSD out of the picture and left the M550 SSD as a solo act. Right after the Windows orb's meet in W7U (64-bit) during bootup, BOOM! BSOD and that's that. I figured I got a crap drive. I order an MX100 (Crucial :: new and recommended for this MB by Crucial) - same exact issue. I buy a Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500 GB) - SAME ISSUE! So my question is: is this MB too old now to support the new SSD's? If so, what ASUS board should I get (must support AM3 AMD processors). I am eyeballing the Crosshair V Formula Z as it has BIOS updates up to 5/2014, but I'm not even sure if I really need a new MB, or if any AM3 socket boards will even support the newer SSD's (again, if that is even the issue).

Thank you in advance for reading my tome.

SC
2 REPLIES 2

supercell
Level 7
ASUSs' response:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

I understand you are receiving BSOD with the brand new SSD..

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and it would be my pleasure to assist you in resolving this issue.

The Newer SSD drives are not tested with this motherboard and also BIOS files have not been released.

We always appreciate customers who take the time to give us their feedback. I'll pass what you've said onto our technical team.

Soon they will be testing the compatability for the newer drives and the BIOS file will be released to support this.

I Really appreciate your time and patience in this case.

This will be your call case number for future reference: N1503102469.

If you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us anytime.

Thank you for choosing ASUS.

Regards,
Raj B

HIGHLY unlikely ASUS is going to update a 3 year old BIOS. It's new motherboard-shopping time!

Customer Service Center.
ASUSTek Computer Inc.

kkn
Level 14
well the CVF non Z, they stopped updating the drivers after the Z got released so.