cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconsidering my new Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 Best Buy purchase.

challenger1
Level 7
I just purchased my first gaming laptop,Asus G751JM-BHI7T25, from Best Buy Saturday. I am still in testing mode right now but I feel that I am a little at a loss as to what exactly I have here. It has the lower end Nvidia 860M graphics chip. I am not sure if it is the IPS screen or the TFT. I sure does look good though. I just feel that I didnt purchase the real deal from Best Buy because it is lacking in the graphics department compared to other versions I see at different stores on the internet. Even the G751....CH71 has the 970 graphics chip and I think more memory. My version seems like a stripped down version of the G751 made special for Best Buy to sell at a lower price. Anybody else purchase one of these? Did I buy a "wanna be"? Should I return it and purchase a real G751, so to speak?
5 REPLIES 5

joshindaphils
Level 11
You happy with what you got for the money? Then keep it, don't worry about what else is available, it doesn't matter. If you keep playing that game you will spend +5k USD on a laptop eventually.

If you wanted different hardware better graphics, PCIe SSD, whatever you think your missing out on then take it back and spend more on a different model.

mdzcpa
Level 12
I agree with what was said above. It all depends on you and what you want. You did by a real G751. The one you have is just spec'd a certain way. If it handles the games you want to play and performs the tasks you want, your fine. Only you can decide if you want a G751 with higher specs, and pay more for it. That's all it comes down to. It is more of a budget question in my mind.

I would add, however, that a laptop with a 970M or 980M may be a bit more future proof game wise.

HulkSmash
Level 8
Do yourself a favor get the $1500 one from amazon with the 970m. The 970m and 860m are worlds apart. I've tested both, and the 970m gets the same fps as my friend with a desktop GTX770.

HulkSmash wrote:
Do yourself a favor get the $1500 one from amazon with the 970m. The 970m and 860m are worlds apart. I've tested both, and the 970m gets the same fps as my friend with a desktop GTX770.

Done! Thx.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Take it back to BestBuy for refund!
Newegg has for a $100 dollars more a much better version (see link below)
It has the GTX-970M graphics card (much faster card, hands down), and twice the memory (16GB).
Bestbuy been known to have Asus to downgrade there laptops, like with graphics cards (GTX-860m instead of the GTX-970m), and less memory.
And if you don't live in California, you won't have to pay sales tax on you purchase.
So with the "sales tax" you paid at Bestbuy, your cost from Newegg will be only a few dollars more!

ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 16GB Memory 1TB HDD ...
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"