cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Drive gaming files location after shut down

GabrielKnight
Level 7
Hi all, I was playing Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag for some time on an SSD but I now have it running on a Ram rive using the software that came with my Rampage 4 Black edition motherboard, the game is amazing with no stutters from the Ram Drive unlike the SSD I was using but my question is where does the game files and data go when I shut down my PC? I have the original copy on the SSD but this is a ram drive of 28 Gig so doesn't that mean when I shut it down everything gets copied somewhere?
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yep no way to keep them in RAM with out power to the MB
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yep no way to keep them in RAM with out power to the MB

Yeah ram is finicky in that way but I don't really want to suspend or hibernate my pc to fix keeping the game in ram, when a pc is shut down does the ram disk files get copied to somewhere (where does this go to? and how do I change the place it is copied to?) or is it just wiped out of existence?

Korth
Level 14
The contents of the RAM Disk are saved to SDD/HDD as what Asus calls a "junction point", then restored to volatile memory the next time the RAM Disk software becomes active. You can specify drives and locations and can configure options for specific "junction point" behaviours through the software. Sudden power loss (failure to shut down properly) will lose the contents of volatile memory before they can be written/updated to the nonvolatile "junction point".
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]