cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water cooling fan and pump advice using Fan Xpert 3 & X99 Deluxe

chicochaco
Level 7
So I have already purchased all the components and I should have asked this question sooner but...

I want to use 18 2200 RPM PWM fans that have a current draw of 2.16 W each. I don't plan to use them at that speed most of the time. They will be hooked up to a 3 way PWM splitter for each fan header on the motherboard. I also want to use 2 D5 pumps with variable speed control. that's a total of 8 fan headers needed. (I think)

My question was, should I have purchased a PWM D5 pump instead of the variable D5 pump? Can I still control the variable speed D5 pump in Fan Expert 3?

Also, am I making a very big mistake somewhere in my build?

Thanks for advice in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Deon017
Level 8
18 fans sound alot - you are going to run 2 loops, right? what case are you using and what size radiators. I believe that you don't need to control the pumps and fans. Setting the pumps to flow at about 75-80% should be constant. Your fans can be controlled with Fan Expert . The biggest thing is planning your loops - draw it out first and make sure you have space to work even after you have installed the loops. Have a good and easy draining system. Then just worry about how good you want to make it look - a good water-block for your cpu is also recommended.

chicochaco
Level 7
I plan to run a Sportswood compact workbench and 3 360 radiators in push pull. I am cooling one CPU and 3 GPU's. (possibly 2 GPU's) I plan to do just one loop with 2 pumps. I still should attach the pump to the motherboard header right? Would the pumps variable speed control override the Fan Expert 3?

It's gonna look like the triple stacker one.

http://www.spotswoodcomputercases.com/images/Small%20ATX%20Open%20frame%20Tech%20Station%20Extra%20W...

Deon017
Level 8
How are you going to run the loop - Res - pump - cpu - radiator - gpu'S - radiator - back to the res? where are you putting the 3rd radiator - then the dual pumps - where are they - i would run with a XSPC Twin D5 Dual Bay Reservoir Pump Combo - if you place two pumps independent in one loop - and control both I believe could cause huge problems, I would not risk it, but because your loop is long you must use a dual pump system, to keep the pressure and flow - I would just connect the pumps to my psu and not control them over this distance -

chicochaco
Level 7
Thanks for the reply. I got a EK D5 dual top with Res on top. They are going to have a base that they can sit on anywhere connected to the bottom outside of the case. I haven't quite figured it out yet but I was thinking...

Res - pump x 2 - bottom rad - botoom rad - middle rad - CPU - GPU - GPU - GPU - back to the res.

Or

Res - pump x 2 - bottom rad - bottom rad - CPU - GPU - GPU - GPU - middle rad - back to Res.

Ok I will just connect the pump to the PSU and not hook it up to the mobo?

Deon017
Level 8
always have it going to a radiator before going back into the res - I don't really know if running it through the 2 radiators in the beginning will make a huge difference - I would tried to do cpu - radiator - gpu's - radiator to get the temp down before going through 3 gpu's - after 4 components the fluid will get pretty hot - you can connect the pumps to the mobo if you want to see what they are running at, but would not control them.

chicochaco
Level 7
I see I see... Very Good advice. I am glad I asked then. Thank you.

kkn
Level 14
if the fans go over 1A in total per fan header, forget connecting them to the mobo fan headers.
best would be a fan controller TBH.
and if i was you i would get a temp probe to the loop to monitor the water temp.

pump/res -> cpu -> rad -> gpu's -> rads -> pump/res.

chicochaco
Level 7
I am asking EK what ampere the Vardar 2200RPm 's are now. I cant seem to find the info on the interwebs.

1A to watts calculation with voltage of 12V DC

For DC power supply, watts are equal to amps times volts.

watts = amps × volts

watts = 1A × 12V = 12W

So I should be under 1 ampere with 3 fans to one header I beleive.

The X99 deluxe comes with one temperature probe but how would I set it up to the loop? Should I tape it onto the outside of res or something?

Also I have one more extra 360 rad that I can use ontop of your sudgestion.

Thanks,

chicochaco wrote:
The X99 deluxe comes with one temperature probe but how would I set it up to the loop? Should I tape it onto the outside of res or something?

heres what i was "talking" about. -> http://www.performance-pcs.com/phobya-temperature-sensor-in-line-2x-g1-4-inner-thread.html