cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCE-AC68 Wireless Adapter Errors

cowboy175
Level 7
I have Windows 8.1 (64 bit). I bought the PCE-AC68 Dual Band Wireless AC1900 PCI-E Adapter. But every now and then I am getting errors in Event Viewer, it is always coming up when I start ASUS WLAN Control Center:

The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified. (Event ID 7000, Service Control Manager)

Also I got 2 times BSOD with the massage:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff8006a186d71, 0xffffd001ee006488, 0xffffd001ee005c90). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 032915-33968-01.

In the MEMORY.DMP I get the message that the Problem is caused by: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bcmwl63a.sys

• So I thought that the Problem might go away if I update the BROADCOM Adapter. When I look at my PC, I see the PCI / PnP Network is: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter.
  • In my Device Manager the version of ASUS PCE-AC68 802.11ac Network Adapter is 6.30.223.228 and the date is 06-Feb-14.

I see that there is a newer version of the BROADCOM Adapter at this website (http://alldrivers.ucoz.net/news/broadcom_bcm43xx_wireless_lan_drivers_version_6_34_223_1_6_35_223_2/...) ,but I am not sure if I should download it or wait for the PCE-AC68 Driver Update ?
(http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101320)

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with this wireless adapter ?

ps. I have the latest driver from the ASUS Website (Version 2.0.8.8).
6 REPLIES 6

Melkor
Level 7
Hello, in order to run registry type regedit in search window and go to Hkey_Local_Machine\System\ControlSet001\Services\BCM42RLY - look for "Start" and change value from 3 to 4. Reboot and enjoy 😉

cowboy175
Level 7
I tried this out, but in Windows 8.1 when I do this the network won't open anymore when I click on it. I mean the icon in the system tray (notification area). It does not respond anymore to clicking.

I installed the Broadcom Adapter 6.35.223.2, and everything seems to work good if not better. In the tool inSSIDer Home if I remember correctly I see a better signal strength. But as expected the Asus Wlan Control Center Utility does not work anymore. I will experiment a bit more with this adapter and hope that in the mean time Asus brings out a newer Driver version for the PCE-AC68 Wireless Adapter.

Melkor
Level 7
Shame 😞 I'm on Windows 8.1 too and it worked for me - I use drivers mentioned above 6.30.223.228 =( no problems with clicking network tab on picture above or with PCE-AC68 utility.. Maybe it would be best to contact official Asus suport rather than waiting for driver update which may never happen - oh well it may happen with Windows 10 release...

Ok that is interesting, so you are running also on Windows 8.1 (64 Bit) but don't get the errors in the Windows Event Viewer. The thing is the PCE-AC68 Drivers (2.0.8.8) works fine for me too but it generates a lot of Errors in the Event Viewer (Event ID 7000). And also sometimes gives me BSOD stating something about the file bcmwl63a.sys. The problem I described here is actually very common and in all cases (90%) caused by the PCE-AC68 driver. That is what I understood from my research throughout the internet searching for a solution to this problem.

I never had such a Error in the Event Viewer nor did I have BSOD before I plugged the PCE-AC68 WLAN Adapter in my PC. Prior to that I had a Realtek Wlan Driver.

I contacted the Official Asus support (Germany) and gave them a detailed report. I got the answer that the IT team will analyze the Problem and contact me back. Well I will upgrade to Windows 10, so I hope they remove the problem at least when they make a new driver compatible with Windows 10.

Melkor
Level 7
I was having problems with spam in system log every second after installation of Asus utility until I made change in registry I posted above. But after Your post I tried to find newer driver so I downloaded newest dated at 01/26/2015 from here http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Broadcom/Wlan/BCM-43xx-Wireless-802.11a-b... - no adds or other useless things when trying download so it's good. It works great and to be honest there is no need for Asus WLAN utility because same thing does Windows - it could be useful in earlier version where You could adjust power settings but in my case it didn't work anyway. I observed to have more stable connection with my router at 1300Mbps speed instead of bouncing between 702/877Mbps - to be honest I can't utilise so much speed anyway 😃

Nice, I have installed the Broadcom Driver Version 6.35.223.2 . But your version is even newer so I will try it out.

Today the Asus Technical Service respondent, they send me a new driver and asked me to test it out, here is the file: 6.30.223.259_Driver_Non Beamforming. I am trying it out, but still seems not to correct the problem.

Interesting is that with your driver version I am getting 450 Mbps speed rate (connecting to my router), but testing the speed on speedtest.net , I get not more than 30.000 (I have 100.000), although when testing on my laptop the internet speed goes above 40.000 and 50.000. So I installed again the version 6.35.223.2 and the speed is 50.000 and more, sometimes even 100.000. I don't know if that might be a problem with the 7.12.39.15 driver version. Do you experience something similar ?