cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rgconnect vs hwmonitor cpu temp

Crayraven
Level 7
Greetings,

I'm currently using the crosshair v formula z. I noticed something strange, the temperatures shown through rog connect are vastly different than those displayed on hwmonitor. Rog connect is much lower, around 8c lower. Which one is more accurate?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

AMD_FX_9370
Level 7
Are you sure your not comparing core temp vs socket temp ?
MOBO - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370 @ 4.7GHz 1.45v
COOLING- Xspc raystorm,Xspc RX240 rad, EK C5F-Z wb,Swiftech mcp 655 pump
RAM - 8GB Corsair Dominator @ 2133MHz 9 11 11 31 54 2T 1.65v
GPU - ASUS R9 390X DCII 8GB
HDD - Samsung SSD 250gb evo X2 raid 0/ Segate 1.5tb 7200
PSU - Corsair TX750W
CASE - Corsair 450D
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64bit

elesde
Level 10
Indeed most likely the ROG tool shows you the core temp while hwmonitor displays the socket temp.
Other tools like HWiNFO64 display both temperatures.

Depending on the load and the cooling setup the core temp is usually the lower one, it can go below ambient temp because it is CPU internally calculated rather than measured. It does get more accurate on high loads and is a good indicator on how much thermal headroom your CPU has left before throttling.
Personally I use the socket temps to monitor thermal conditions since it is the socket + VRMs that get too hot on extreme load before the CPU does (watercooled) on my mainboard.

Crayraven
Level 7
Thanks for the replies you guys, I appreciate it.

AMD, to answer your question hwmonitor shows two different temps for me. Cpu temperature and package temperature, I'm guessing one of them is the core temp and the other the socket temp? I'm not sure which one is which. Interesting enough RC tweakit's temperature is different than both the package and cpu temp displayed in hwmonitor. Its lower by 10c.

I'm not sure how accurate that is though.

Crayraven wrote:

AMD, to answer your question hwmonitor shows two different temps for me. Cpu temperature and package temperature, I'm guessing one of them is the core temp and the other the socket temp? I'm not sure which one is which.

IIRC "package temperature" should be the core temp, could be wrong though (too lazy to install hwmonitor) 😄

In HWiNFO the socket temperature is called "CPU" and grouped together with other motherboard readouts like case temp and voltages.
Easy way to differentiate them is as I said go by idle temp where the core readout can go way below room temperature or load the CPU fully and see which temp jumps up the fastest.