cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Tweaks/CPU Overclock Issues Fresh install windows 7 new SSD

Snoopwolf
Level 7
Hello I'm new to this forum, I don't know if somebody has already posted something similar but I have some kind of issue with my pc.

I recently bought a Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD to replace my old HDD and did a fresh Windows 7 64 bit installation. I also installed the drivers provided with my motherboard (CD) and same for my GPU. Before installing the SSD, I had overclocking settings for my computer in general provided by the BIOS optimization of my motherboard. I disabled everything to install the new SSD. After all it was done, I wanted to get back those BIOS tweaks and setback my CPU to 4.5 -4.6GHz.

I tried to do so but when my computer rebooted I got a Blue Screen of Death with the error code STOP 0x00000124 and couldn't get to load Windows. I tried it back with my old HDD and my BIOS settings were working fine. Are you supposed to be able to use those settings or am i doing something wrong or missing something? I've read that faulty RAM could be causing this kind of error but I don't think its in cause. Trim is enabled and storage is set to AHCI, the SSD firmware/software is installed and updated. I can run windows and everything installed on my SSD without a problem, I just can't optimize and overclock my CPU anymore!

I would appreciate alot the help since I have no idea of what is the problem.

Here's my setup:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
CPU: i7-4770k 3,5GHz
GPU: Asus STRIX GTX970
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8Gb (16Gb) at 2133 MHz
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W
CPU cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Water/Liquid Cooling System
Box cooling: 2x 120mm Cougar Vortex PWM + 2x 140mm Cougar Vortex HDB
Box: NZXT Phantom 410
4 REPLIES 4

Perko
Level 8
Can you install the 850 with the old drives ..... reformat (not quick) and see it in windows?

Maybe try a fresh install after?

SS
Case Labs S8
ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme
i7 5960X
EKWB XTX360 kit +1 XTX360 & XTX240
10x MassCool fans on a Lamptron FC5 6 Channel 30W LED Fan Controller V3
32GB Geil Potenza 3000Mhz
2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
WD 7,200 Hybrid 2TB
ASUS Blu-Ray RW
Gigabyte 980Ti G1 EKWB full block
Acer XB270HU monitor
EVGA 1200 P2
Razor 7.1 phones, Death Ader & Ultimate KB
Madcatz Panther XL SteveO modded

Snoopwolf
Level 7
Ok now I have both of them installed I can see them in windows explorer. I see local disk C: (the ssd i'm using now), system (E), and OS (F) wich is the old hard drive.

If I understand well, I should boot from my HDD reformat my SSD then see if its detected in windows explorer and then do a fresh install?

Menthol
Level 14
Upgrading your hard drive to a SSD should not make any difference, 4.5 GHZ is a hefty overclock on a 4770K, especially with the cooling you have. 124 code generally means you need a little more voltage for stability you should either run a little lower overclock or up your voltage a little, cpu temps need to be watched closely

I'm able to overclock it with the Asus AI Suite to about 4.2GHz stable I guess I'll keep it that way unless like you said i change the voltage and actually learn to manually overclock since I have been using presets from my motherboard. Thanks I was really confused about this since I saw alot of streamers of video games that had been overclocking their CPU and had an SSD and i couldn't figure out what was wrong.