cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am concerned about my G750JS RAM specs, please help me clarify

TiemPul
Level 7
Hi everbody,

out of curiousity I have recently opened up the easy access lid on the bottom of my G750JS 4023H.
What I discovered (or didn'T discover) made me somewhat uneasy.

1) As we know these machines use 1,35V DDR3L modules. Why does the print on the RAM tray say "1,5V STD"?
2) How come the hardware check states I have a DDR3 module, and a 800MHz one at that? Shoudn't it have 1600MHz?
3) Where is said module? I don't see it. )

Thanks a ton and have a good one!
Tim
12 REPLIES 12

hmscott
Level 12
TiemPul wrote:
Hi everbody,

out of curiousity I have recently opened up the easy access lid on the bottom of my G750JS 4023H.
What I discovered (or didn'T discover) made me somewhat uneasy.

1) As we know these machines use 1,35V DDR3L modules. Why does the print on the RAM tray say "1,5V STD"?
2) How come the hardware check states I have a DDR3 module, and a 800MHz one at that? Shoudn't it have 1600MHz?
3) Where is said module? I don't see it. )

Thanks a ton and have a good one!
Tim

TiemPul, not to worry, the DDR3L is low voltage 1.35v, but the physical format for DDR3 and DDR3L SODIMM's are the same, and the 1.5v imprint on the plastic now means nothing.

Asus must still have barrels of those 1.5v labeled sockets kicking around the factory 🙂

You can use CPU-Z, SPD tab, to view the actual voltage your memory is using:

TiemPul
Level 7
Thanks for the quick reply, hmscott.
So, 800MHz is the standard RAM that comes with every G750?
I don't know jack about this stuff but I see a lot of talk about it being 1600MHz and whathaveyou.
Also, I have been under the impression that my laptop performs rather badly for a 1600€ machine (And I'm pretty sure it won't run the upcoming GTA V, which I've been looking forward to with a gleam in my eye)
Could bad RAM be a "bottleneck"? Or is it the hard drive? That thing's also kind of loud and iffy.

TiemPul wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply, hmscott.
So, 800MHz is the standard RAM that comes with every G750?
I don't know jack about this stuff but I see a lot of talk about it being 1600MHz and whathaveyou.
Also, I have been under the impression that my laptop performs rather badly for a 1600€ machine (And I'm pretty sure it won't run the upcoming GTA V, which I've been looking forward to with a gleam in my eye)
Could bad RAM be a "bottleneck"? Or is it the hard drive? That thing's also kind of loud and iffy.

TiemPul, enough RAM at even 1600mhz won't be a bottleneck per se, but if you upgraded to 2133mhz memory - you have to replace all the SODIMM's - you can't mix 1600mhz and 2133mhz memory, you would see a few percentage points improvement for memory tests - but as far as FPS, not so much - although I am sure there is something out that that will have some measurable FPS improvement it isn't the same as jumping to a new GPU.

A harddrive is old tech now, and for lots of reasons an SSD is a big improvement, most noticeably for in game data loads - starting up the slept/parked HDD takes time and is noticeable in game, so you really really want an SSD to get rid of in game glitches - also contention for DATA is quicker resolved using an SSD - multiple disk accesses happen quicker so background processes still running while you are gaming will interfere less with the game fluidity.

But, an SSD won't increase FPS.

The best / safest improvement for the JS is to tune the CPU/GPU for maximum performance.

Use Intel XTU to unlock the 200mhz+ per Core/cache of performance hidden by Intel shipping with de-tuned CPU multipliers due to variations in cooling. The G750/G751 are good enough at keeping things cool to unlock that additional CPU - but it won't directly help FPS much for GPU dependent games, a couple of FPS at the best case, but in conjunction with GPU OC'ing it does help.

You can search the forum for G750JS Afterburner or Asus Tweak tool for Laptops - you can't change the clock/memory speeds with Asus Tweak tool on a G750JS, but for now you can enable the Boost which gives a 5% OC.

Using Afterburner you can get another 5-10% OC with the stock vBIOS. +135 for GPU clock and I am not sure about the memory clock, but start at +250 and go up from there. My G750JH is stable at 6300mhz - up from stock 5000mhz.

I don't recommend going to a hacked vbios/bios (you need both), as bricking your laptop video isn't like bricking your desktop - you can just pop out the card and replace it - there are people that have done it and are happy, and then there are lots that aren't... unless you have done something like this with a desktop/laptop before, I would stay away.

The JS is a 870m, and there are reviews, benchmarks, sites with game results on the 870m to check out to see how it handles specific games. You can always turn down some eye candy and get good gameplay, you don't have to run Ultra on everything 🙂

These tests assume 30fps and higher is good gameplay, so the 870m does well on most games already at Ultra, drop some post processing and Physx down a click or two and get better FPS.:

GTX 970m VS GTX 870m - Gaming benchmarks comparison in 15 games - ULTRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgPeB7f2fu8

GTX 870m VS GTX 770m - Official benchmarks comparison in PC games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdwJ3Q6_UU

Here is the web site with the "big list"

GPU Library for desktop and laptop GPU's - you can check using GPU or game.
http://www.gpulibrary.com/

You can get the best FPS by tuning the game settings, but setting up a good base by tuning your CPU/GPU and upgrading to an SSD and faster memory all help a little - and together make the fastest you can get with what you have - always the best idea 🙂

Just because there is a faster piece of hardware out there, it doesn't mean that your laptop all of a sudden can't run games well any longer, you can get good game play for years on the 870m + tuning(s), and even though you could run faster, it is gonna cost you $thousands$ more than you already spent on your G750JS.

You can't get the value out of a hardware purchase unless you stick with it long enough. If you keep buying the latest thing you are going to spend a lot of time and energy on upgrades and getting used to optimizing new hardware, rather than enjoying what you have.

Maybe wait until there is an actual game that you can't live without that you can't tune to run on your JS, and then forget that game and play all the others available that do run great 🙂

The longer you wait, the faster will be the hardware you upgrade to. My old rule is 2x CPU / GPU performance, and we haven't seen that kind of improvement between generations of CPU/GPU releases for a long time, so I skip generations of new hardware in between upgrades.

So far all my games are running just like they did, and I am getting better at them 🙂

Thank you GottiBoy and hmscott for your informative and extensive answers 🙂
I will be replacing the HDD as well as the RAM asap.
Besides that, hmscott, I wasn't thinking about replacing the entire PC, I mean I basically just bought the thing 😄

TiemPul wrote:
Thank you GottiBoy and hmscott for your informative and extensive answers 🙂
I will be replacing the HDD as well as the RAM asap.
Besides that, hmscott, I wasn't thinking about replacing the entire PC, I mean I basically just bought the thing 😄

TiemPul, cool 🙂

Well, I'm in the same situation wanted to increase the RAM from 8 to 24 G in my JS and all the info I found here is very useful. Thanks for that.

Light
Level 7
TiemPul, the RAM is double data rate. As it's showing 800MHz then 800 x 2 = 1600MHz.

You could replace your existing RAM to run up to DDR3L 2133 MHz, performance would noticeably improve.

If you have an HDD in your G750JS then the HDD will be a massive bottleneck. Changing the HDD to an SSD will boast the IO performance of your machine massively, also an SSD is silent. A huge performance gain can be had using, for example, a Samsung 850 EVO or PRO with RAPID enabled.
More details here: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd850evo/overview.htm...

If you do decide to upgrade to an SSD ensure you use migration software than clones all the partitions from the HDD to the SSD. Samsung's migration software doesn't clone the recovery partitions (on non-Samsung machines) whereas a utility such as EasyUS ToDo Backup or similar types of utilities will clone all partitions.

Light wrote:
TiemPul, the RAM is double data rate. As it's showing 800MHz then 800 x 2 = 1600MHz.

You could replace your existing RAM to run up to DDR3L 2133 MHz, performance would noticeably improve.

If you have an HDD in your G750JS then the HDD will be a massive bottleneck. Changing the HDD to an SSD will boast the IO performance of your machine massively, also an SSD is silent. A huge performance gain can be had using, for example, a Samsung 850 EVO or PRO with RAPID enabled.
More details here: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd850evo/overview.htm...

If you do decide to upgrade to an SSD ensure you use migration software than clones all the partitions from the HDD to the SSD. Samsung's migration software doesn't clone the recovery partitions (on non-Samsung machines) whereas a utility such as EasyUS ToDo Backup or similar types of utilities will clone all partitions.

Thank you, Light.
My G750 has a 240GB SSD which I am using solely for the OS.
All the other stuff goes onto the HDD.
I have indeed been thinking about replacing it with another SSD. Do you think it would be best to just get a RAM upgrade alongside or will just swapping the drives do?

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Here's an explanation of how DDR3 works

DDR3:
Double Data Rate synchronous dynamic random access memory version 3
Double Data Rate (DDR) means that this memory transfers data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal. This is why 1600mhz DDR3 memory appears as 800MHz in cpuid.

Hope this helps you my friend?
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"