cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACPI_BIOS_ERROR - Maximus Hero VII -- SATA not showing WD HD

ahassan1
Level 7
Hi,

I built a new computer with the Maximus Hero VII, intel core i5, 8gb of ram, gtx960sc, and a 1tb WD hard drive.

The computer boots up fine into bios, bios under SATA shows my dvd player, but it does not list the WD HD; however, it does show the disk volume under boot priority just not under SATA settings for IDE, RAID, or ACHI.

I have already gone the diskpart route and created partitions and formatted those partitions.

I have taken he WD HD and put it into an old PC and installed windows 8 on it and then taken that same HD and put it back into the Hero VII only to get a 'repair' error but never boot.

I am at my witts end having now spend about 4 hours each day for the past five days twiddling with this.

I finally updated the bios to 2012 -- and still no change.

Is my HD faulty? Is the MOBO faulty? Please help...

-AH
7 REPLIES 7

TTR45
Level 7
Hi,
have you tried different sata ports?
I remember when setting up my Formula VII I had to try different ports because for some reason it didn't always find the SSD drives.

-TTR

Yes, I did try -- didn't do any good.

TTR45
Level 7
Hi,
have you tried only connecting the necessary for computer to start like CPU, RAM, Graphics card, keyboard and HDD, leave everything else disconnected.
As optional try connecting keyboard to ps/2 port.

Will give that a try -- in hindsight I think I tried 4 of the 6 SATA ports so will parse through the two I didn't.

_llusionist
Level 7
The drive obviously seems to work in another pc since you used one to install win8.

Since cant use windows programs like sisandra to get hardware info i suggest you could use a linux livedvd or live-usb and run lshw and post the results of ide and ssci or sata sections. (gentoo live dvd, or other with lshw)

(Use unetbootin to make a live usb if you have a spare usbkey laying around that you dont mind erasing)

With that info we would know for sure wheter or not the drive is detected.

Why did you use the old pc to install windows on the motherboard?

Do you have a spare old disk to which you could install windows or linux to check your if your sata ports are working properly?

_llusionist
Level 7
Since your motherboard is recent and you used an old pc to format you might have mbr-gpt incompatibility issues:

Your old pc most likely formated the disk with mbr, but if you have uefi boot enabled in your bios, your motherboard maximus board which is quite recent might be looking for a gpt partitioned disk.

Could you tell us how your uefi is set in your bios and how the disk is partitioned (mbr/gpt)

Pandur
Level 10
Obvious question I hope, but have you tried different sata cables?

And the boot record on the drive shouldn't matter when it comes to the sata drive list in the uefi. This is the list of physical connections we're talking about.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)