cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gtx 970 overheating while gaming?

Axiliox
Level 7
i have a ASUS G20AJ-DE028S with a geforce gtx 970 4GB

when i play some heavy games (cod advanced warfare;watch dogs,..) at high settings my gpu temp is at 80c.
i have it since i bought this pc 2 months ago,but it never goes beyond 80°

is this a safe temp for few years or should i use msi afterburner and make a custom fan setting? i am really woried about it since the first weeks and don't want to ruin it..
16 REPLIES 16

rene_canlas
Level 7
The gpu is limited to 80c. The temp is well within the safe temp range for the 970

Axiliox
Level 7
Okay,thanks!
i was already worried about it.

Kamelox
Level 7
Hey!

Which GTX 970 is acutually in your G20AJ? I'm looking for one, which fits into mine, so maybe you can tell me the name and the brand of your 970.

Kind regards

Lukas
Axiliox wrote:
i have a ASUS G20AJ-DE028S with a geforce gtx 970 4GB

when i play some heavy games (cod advanced warfare;watch dogs,..) at high settings my gpu temp is at 80c.
i have it since i bought this pc 2 months ago,but it never goes beyond 80°

is this a safe temp for few years or should i use msi afterburner and make a custom fan setting? i am really woried about it since the first weeks and don't want to ruin it..

edmak1804
Level 7
While that temp is listed as safe, I always use MSI Afterburner (free download) to monitor my GPU temps and adjust the fans to keep the temps closer to the mid 60's

GoHack
Level 8
Did your system come w/the 970?

If not, there may be a grill on the inside of the computer case cover, which is restricting the amount of air allowed for cooling the 970. The grill cover is held on w/one screw I believe, and needs to be removed.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

Anarchia99
Level 7
I have also the Asus rog G20 with gtx 970 4 gb. Bought 2 day ago and in game mode my temps of gpu are reaching the 80 c° with 50% of fan speed. Really strange. Do u think it's safe or maybe my gpu have some issue? I also saw some people who.said they have temp of gpu around 65 c° with the same 970.
Any help?

pretorama
Level 7
I'd propose to anyone who has this G20 configuration (GTX 970), to post here the fan setup they found to keep the GPU the coolest possible.
Cheers.

edmak1804
Level 7
It isn't that complicated, just alt-tab out of your game and increase the fan speed (i dont like leaving it on automatic, it seems to always greatly increase fan speeds) I up it to 65-75% fan speed.
I now have a 980ti and i rarely see temps in the 70s as long as I keep fan speed in the mid 60s to 70s.

Anarchia99
Level 7
I did same with Evga Precision,putted 85% fan speed during the game and temps are on 73 with gtx970. How it possible 970 run hotter then 980ti? Do u think I have some issue with video card?