Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! G750 C drive full! can't merge second partition

KazariK
Level 7
Hey Guys,

So I need your help please..
So I am running a G750 with a 250 ssd, thats split into 2 partitions. The C drive is full, and I want to add the 2nd partition to the first, but I cant seem to get it to merge.. Am I missing something?? Is there a trick to this? The 2nd partition is empty, but still it wont merge over..

Really need help, my laptops doing some funky things that I can only attribute to a full drive, THAT and I want to install some software that requires some to be on the C drive but wont work because the drive is full..

Kaz
3 REPLIES 3

rewben
Level 13
first, do a full back up of your os and data.

1. using disk management and delete the second partition.
2. right click on the first / os partition and choose 'extend volume' to proceed.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
I second what rewben said.
When you extend volume C (OS), just use the default size setting.
I'm guessing you have the JZ model?
I done the same with my JZ.

One other thing you may want to think about, is installing games to the HDD (DATA partition).
I done this with my JZ, and there's no drop in performance.
Only load times are just a little slower, but not too bad with the 7200 RPM HDD with a 32GB Cache.
Just make sure you have "Shader Cache" enabled in the nVidia control panel.
This will help load times there.

Good luck my friend.

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
I second what rewben said.
When you extend volume C (OS), just use the default size setting.
I'm guessing you have the JZ model?
I done the same with my JZ.

One other thing you may want to think about, is installing games to the HDD (DATA partition).
I done this with my JZ, and there's no drop in performance.
Only load times are just a little slower, but not too bad with the 7200 RPM HDD with a 32GB Cache.
Just make sure you have "Shader Cache" enabled the the nVidia control panel.
This will help load times there.

Good luck my friend.

nice tips 😄

i will elaborate a bit on how to backup a system and its data.

in short, there are 2 types of backups for a computer. the first one is data. all you need to do is to make a copy or two of data and save them somewhere outside your computer. (e.g. external hdd) just make sure you check all the common places that you might save your files and back them all up.

the second one is the system backup. this is done by creating a system image based on your current os. the system image is used to restore the os, all previous windows updates that have been done, settings, drivers, etc. to the point of time that you make the system image. for w8.x systems, the tools that you need are already built-in into the os, plus the following:
1) a working windows install media (e.g. bootable windows installation usb stick);
2) an external hdd that stores the system image.

in case that you do not have the bootable usb stick, you can download and save a copy of windows 8.1 installation iso from here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

now i will walk through the steps of creating a minimal system image, using windows built-in tools in this case. normally i use a windows powershell command, wbadmin, (right click the powershell icon and choose run as administrator) to do this:

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet

the above command will create a system image consisting of the os partition, and necessary system partitions that are sufficient to boot and run the os only. it excludes other partitions. change to the location where you want to store your system image (e.g. external hdd). it's better to store system image folder at the top level of the drive, i.e. x:\, assuming your external drive has a drive letter of x)

in general, the steps are simple:
1. boot your laptop;
2. plug in the external hdd;
3. fire up windows powershell prompt as administrator;
4. issue the modified wbadmin command and wait for it to complete.

for system restores, all you have to do is just boot the machine with windows installation media, choose repair computer, go to advanced, and finally restore from system image. for more options, you can read it here, http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&p=400180&viewfull=1#post4... (i just remembered i have posted this one some time ago)

note that there are other ways to do system backups, such as cloning. i don't use them because the windows built-in tools are good enough for me. if the windows system image tools failed, don't worry 🙂 worst comes to worst, you can still do a fresh windows install and start over.

to access the disk management, run file explorer, right click on 'this pc' and select 'manage'. a computer management windows will pop up. proceed to click on 'storage' and then 'disk management'.