Rampage V Extreme - CPU compatibility

Korth
Level 14
From this Asus R5E support page, supported CPUs for this motherboard:

Core i7-5920K/-5930K/-5960X
Xeon E5-1620v3/-1630v3/-1650v3/-1680v3
Xeon E5-2620v3/-2630v3/-2637v3/-2650Lv3/-2687Wv3/-2697v3/-2698v3/-2699v3

[/HR]
1) "Intel Xeon Processor Family is designed for servers. Some features may not support when installed on X99 series chipsets. For more details, refer to ASUS support site." - uh, which features, and where do I refer on the support site?

Would a Xeon E5-2687Wv3/-2697v3/-2698v3/-2699v3 proc be limited to 8 cores (16 threads) by the X99 board/chipset?

[/HR]
2) Is this a comprehensive list, or just a list of tested parts which have confirmed compatibility? (That is, are unlisted LGA2011-3 procs specifically incompatible?)

I have an opportunity to trade up my "above average" i7-5960X for either an E5-1680v3 or an E5-2667v3. These Xeon procs are similar, the second one is a little more energy efficient but not on the Asus compatibility list. I could even trade up to an E5-2687Wv3 (for a price), but that would be pointless if the mobo limits the proc to 8 functioning cores.

For the record, it's not really a gaming rig any more and I do require multithreading madness. I'm not an IT guy, I just work with them (and they told me they don't really know the answer, but Asus should, lol).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]
11 REPLIES 11

Raja
Level 13
The processors listed are those that have been tested to work. All 16 cores should be available in the SKUs that have 16 cores.
Choose a CPU on the support list if you want guaranteed support.

I don't think this part applies to you but I will mention this for sake of others: Don't buy an ES CPU from some clown selling them. Intel have a habit of locking out ES CPUs in microcode as platforms age. Not to mention the legal standpoint of ES CPUs being sold.

Korth
Level 14
I'd never heard about microcode lockouts before - that Intel patent is quite disagreeable, lol.

I think few enthusiasts would go this route anyhow because Xeon procs cost substantially more than their (already costly) Core counterparts and are not widely available through commercial channels.

Most Xeon parts are slower than their Core counterparts, too. And they also tend to overclock very poorly, I'm told.
A SuperMicro C7X99-OCE is a premier overclocking mobo in the server world, but it falls far short in this regard when compared to the beastly overclocking available on an Asus X99-R5E.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Raja
Level 13
That patent has nothing to do with ES processors POSTing due to a microcode lockout. It cites a mechanism that allows manufacturers to lock ME or microcode updates to prevent inadvertent updates that may impact platform stability. Must be "supposition Friday" today in some parts of the world...

You have to experience the lockout to know about it. The microcode update would be pushed out with a BIOS update for the board. So you'd be stuck on an older build without having the option of updating to newer builds that may either patch platform bugs or add support for new features.

The reason I know that the 16 core parts work is because I was the person that passed Fugger an updated beta build to disable individual cores so that he could bench the CPU on Ln2 (people are given them to test or they purchase on illegally ebay, hence my post above).

-Raja

Korth
Level 14
I went for the Xeon E5-1680-3 proc. Mine is some sort of SuperMicro OEM rebrand, but this isn't an issue. My IT contact informs me this proc was originally purchased through NCIX, hope that doesn't mean I need worry over the mysterious "microcode lockout" issue mentioned above.

Looks like win-win so far. This proc actually has slightly better specs than the i7-5960X, I almost wonder if it's just a higher Intel bin/package of the same die (but I don't intend to find out with a costly de-lid or two, lol). Stock performance speed is just barely faster enough to be noticeable.

I am highly pleased that it has a robust iMC - all of my troublesome/finicky 8x8GB DDR4-3000 "incompatibilities" just magically vanished - full speed, out-of-box voltage, plain XMP, no manual tweaking needed! I'm not sure if it's because Xeons as a group are better in this regard, or because my particular E5-1680-3 is better (and is designed to address up to four channels, up to three DIMMs per channel, up to 768GB max RAM), or because my particular i7-5960X might have been weak. Happy to confirm that it wasn't the R5E mobo.

Still running my customary self-imposed 24 hour stress test, looking good so far, and it hasn't exceeded 72C under full load (while my old proc peaked at 79C with the same cooler).

1) Before I play with overclocking possibilities - is the extra Asus OC Socket functionality compatible with Xeons? I realize I can disable the feature if needed for unexciting Intel-spec LGA2011-3 compatibility. But I suppose it would've been wiser to ask beforehand, lol.
Yes, the OC Socket seems to work perfectly!

2) I also realize the R5E mobo isn't specifically engineered for the server market. But do the BIOS workarounds/fixes/errata identified in the Intel Xeon E5-3 Processor Specification Update tend to be fully implemented? (Aside, perhaps, from irrelevant errata involving ECC, RDIMMs, etc.)

3) Last question (I hope). Will the presence of a Xeon activate any server-style complications in my TPM? I basically use it only as a Windows BitLocker hardware token, I know it can do a lot more but I'd rather avoid the configuration details I suspect are involved in overkill Enterprise security.
Yes, a few more TPM-/Security-related options appeared in the BIOS.

[/Korth]

Hello guys,
I want to know did womebody is tested XEON V4 with ASUS Rampage V Extreme ?
I just want to know it is working or not ... and why on web site is published that only XEON V3 CPUs are supported. The I7 6950x is the same like XEON V4 CPU.

bump!

SUN75 wrote:
Hello guys,
I want to know did womebody is tested XEON V4 with ASUS Rampage V Extreme ?
I just want to know it is working or not ... and why on web site is published that only XEON V3 CPUs are supported. The I7 6950x is the same like XEON V4 CPU.

golddubby wrote:
bump!

Being an older board, if it's not already on the QVL it's not going to be added now. In order for hardware to make it to the QVL it has to actually be tested, even if it's substantially similar to the previous generation.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Axle_Grease
Level 7
22c/44t would be a nice upgrade. Provided the socket is the same, I don't know why a Xeon V4 wouldn't work after patching the BIOS with the relevant microcode. I upgraded an Intel i7-965 Extreme 4C/8t to a Xeon X5690 (6c\12t) on my Rampage 2 Extreme mobo. Big improvement. When my i7-5960X gets crusty then I'll replace it with a Xeon v4. However, it is not there yet.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

Hello everyone! It is nice to see so many Rampage V Extremes out there still at work everyday (like mine). It would be a bad time to have to build a new system right now. Is the R5E turning out to be unusually reliable, if a bit dated?