cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM SSD Upgrade - ASUS Backtracker questions

Byjimja
Level 7
Hello ROG folk,

I've just bought a G750JM-t4099h at a bargain price. All seems dandy, I'm more than happy, except I'd like to swap
the 750gb HDD for a 250 or 500gb SSD.

I've done lots of reading around and have a decent idea of what to do and what to buy. There's no one-stop idiots guide I can find
though, so I have a couple of simpleton questions that I hope someone will be kind enough to help with.

In ASUS Backtracker the first two options are:
a) Back up the factory recovery image
b) Back up ASUS driver/app

1. Do I run both of these options and put them on the same 32gb 3.0 flash drive, or just a) then put b) on a seperate flash to install
after the SSD has been set up with a)?

2. Will the SSD need formatting in some way or does ASUS backtracker take care of everything from the flash drive? Will I
need to enter BIOS to boot from the flash?

3. Once the SSD is up and running and working as it should, I want to wipe the hdd to use as a secondary data drive.
Is there a straighforward way of doing this? Does it have to be done externally or can I put it in the spare slot and start up
without confusing BIOS? Will I need to enter BIOS to change boot priority to the SSD?

4. Any obvious pitfalls I should look out for?

Any help or advice, links to further reading much appreciated. (If you want to advise me against doing it because I'm not
tech-savvy enough that's welcome too!)

Cheers,
Chris
3 REPLIES 3

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Byjimja wrote:
Hello ROG folk,

I've just bought a G750JM-t4099h at a bargain price. All seems dandy, I'm more than happy, except I'd like to swap
the 750gb HDD for a 250 or 500gb SSD.

I've done lots of reading around and have a decent idea of what to do and what to buy. There's no one-stop idiots guide I can find
though, so I have a couple of simpleton questions that I hope someone will be kind enough to help with.

In ASUS Backtracker the first two options are:
a) Back up the factory recovery image
b) Back up ASUS driver/app

1. Do I run both of these options and put them on the same 32gb 3.0 flash drive, or just a) then put b) on a seperate flash to install
after the SSD has been set up with a)?

2. Will the SSD need formatting in some way or does ASUS backtracker take care of everything from the flash drive? Will I
need to enter BIOS to boot from the flash?

3. Once the SSD is up and running and working as it should, I want to wipe the hdd to use as a secondary data drive.
Is there a straighforward way of doing this? Does it have to be done externally or can I put it in the spare slot and start up
without confusing BIOS? Will I need to enter BIOS to change boot priority to the SSD?

4. Any obvious pitfalls I should look out for?

Any help or advice, links to further reading much appreciated. (If you want to advise me against doing it because I'm not
tech-savvy enough that's welcome too!)

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Byjimja, and welcome to the ASUS ROG Forum.

1. Just do option A.

First download this latest version of Backtracker>>>>>
Download V3.0.8
You can use the SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive 16GB, that worked well for me.
You can backup Drivers, and Apps on separate flash drive only if you plan on doing a "Clean Windows install"
Your eSupport file will have all the drivers, and apps contained there.

2. No, leave the SSD as is (Un-formatted)

The Backtracker software will do all the formatting, and partitioning of your SSD.
You should remove your factory installed HDD first before you run the Backtracker software for the SSD install.
Place the SSD in the bay were the HDD was, that you just removed.

To run backtracker to install on the SSD
A. Hit power button.
B. Hit the "esc key"
C. Select the USB Flash Drive with the arrow key.
D. Hit enter, then just follow the prompts. (It's pretty much straight foreword)

3. You should be able to wipe drive, and format the HDD in "Disk management"
(See 4)

**Only wipe the HDD after the successfully installation to the SSD**

Good luck, and have fun with that new SSD performance boost.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

Byjimja
Level 7
Exactly the info I was looking for, thanks very much for your reply GottiBoi55.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
You welcome.
Come back and let us know how things work out.

Hopefully all should be just fine.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"