cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

caught fire - ASUS Crosshair V formula - Z

enjoiskaterguy
Level 7
To start I just wanna stress how hit and miss these boards can be. I have always thought of ASUS of having high standards (other than their RMA call centers negligence and lack of quality reps who understand tech problems) and great quality products. I have now had 3 of these boards have issues. (just check my previous posts).

So now to the story of the motherboard that caught fire on its PCB....

So under a stress test and even down clocking my FX8350 voltage on a previosly stable 4.7Ghz overclock to get better temps my motherboard PCB went up in flames after only 3 minutes in prime95 with core temps reaching only 60? and the socket only 70?. I was about to turn off prime95 even but my computer shut down to prevent damage but then immediately turned right back on and my motherboard PCB near the VRM mosfets/chockes went up in flames. Other parts including CPU, RAM look fine.

I am not sure what might have caused this. I did tweak some power management settings in BIOS to prevent voltage droop and adjusted the HT link speed to its safe max - 2600mhz. My CPU voltage was lowered from 1.46 to 1.45v. Then after testing it, the smell came on and then all he'll broke loose on the motherboard PCB....and I thought PCBs were coated with fire-retardants. Apparently not this one.

Note: CPU and NB were cooled by EK waterblocks and had been for some time.

Note 2: hadn't stressed tested system after getting replacement NZXT Hale 90 ver.2 PSU 1200watts (gold rated)...it had never given me problems before so I'm not sure this could be the culprit.

Note 3: this is the 3rd ASUS CROSSHAIR V formula- Z motherboard I have recieved from ASUS...all having previously had faulty DIMMs or other problems.

I have contacted both AMD and ASUS for RMA for advice but I'd thought I'd let the hardware communities such as yourselves be aware of stuff like this.

MB: Crosshair V formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX8350 (8-core) @ 4.7Ghz
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (8x2) 16gb
GPU: AMD Firepro W8100 (8GB workstation card)
cooling: custom water loop ,Ocool Nexxus U60 420 triple radiator,
Swiftech MCP655-B pump, Bitspower Compression fittings
HDD: OCZ OCZ "Vector" 256gb
PSU: NZX Hale90 v.2 1200W
30 REPLIES 30

enjoiskaterguy
Level 7
To start I just wanna stress how hit and miss these boards can be. I have always thought of ASUS of having high standards (other than their RMA call centers negligence and lack of quality reps who understand tech problems) and great quality products. I have now had 3 of these boards have issues. (just check my previous posts).

So now to the story of the motherboard that caught fire on its PCB....

So under a stress test and even down clocking my FX8350 voltage on a previosly stable 4.7Ghz overclock to get better temps my motherboard PCB went up in flames after only 3 minutes in prime95 with core temps reaching only 60? and the socket only 70?. I was about to turn off prime95 even but my computer shut down to prevent damage but then immediately turned right back on and my motherboard PCB near the VRM mosfets/chockes went up in flames. Other parts including CPU, RAM look fine.

I am not sure what might have caused this. I did tweak some power management settings in BIOS to prevent voltage droop and adjusted the HT link speed to its safe max - 2600mhz. My CPU voltage was lowered from 1.46 to 1.45v. Then after testing it, the smell came on and then all he'll broke loose on the motherboard PCB....and I thought PCBs were coated with fire-retardants. Apparently not this one.

Note: CPU and NB were cooled by EK waterblocks and had been for some time.

Note 2: hadn't stressed tested system after getting replacement NZXT Hale 90 ver.2 PSU 1200watts (gold rated)...it had never given me problems before so I'm not sure this could be the culprit.

Note 3: this is the 3rd ASUS CROSSHAIR V formula- Z motherboard I have recieved from ASUS...all having previously had faulty DIMMs or other problems.

I have contacted both AMD and ASUS for RMA for advice but I'd thought I'd let the hardware communities such as yourselves be aware of stuff like this.

this conversation is also going on TomsHardware

did you use the extra 4pin power on the motherboard? ( and no not the molex )

kkn wrote:
did you use the extra 4pin power on the motherboard? ( and no not the molex )

yeah I used the 4-pin on the top middle of the board.

enjoiskaterguy wrote:
yeah I used the 4-pin on the top middle of the board.

What about the 8 pin connector?

yes, i used the 8-pin as well.

Wow, those pictures sure bring back memories of when I had the same thing happen on a motherboard in 1998. Mine was a burnout with the sound card wiring, though.
Sometimes things just don't work out in manufacturing; hence why warranties address "manufacturing defects." Even the best brands have runts that slip through.

Esmea wrote:
Wow, those pictures sure bring back memories of when I had the same thing happen on a motherboard in 1998. Mine was a burnout with the sound card wiring, though.
Sometimes things just don't work out in manufacturing; hence why warranties address "manufacturing defects." Even the best brands have runts that slip through.

i see. I thought it might just be a defect. I have filled out a RMA ticket on the ASUS website. I'll call them monday too. Then I'll update here whether or not they will let me send in the board for their review and possibly get another motherboard (4th one) 😞

If the board shutdown~restarted during the stress test, either the CPU was not stable at the new settings, or one of the power safety thresholds was tripped. Can you recall what you changed in "power management" or the DIGI+ settings?

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If the board shutdown~restarted during the stress test, either the CPU was not stable at the new settings, or one of the power safety thresholds was tripped. Can you recall what you changed in "power management" or the DIGI+ settings?

I actually took a picture of the changes on my BIOS before the incident (just in case something did go wrong.

i bumped up most of the options one step up...

CPU LLC from: high to Ultra High

CPU CC from: 120% to 130%

CPU Power Phase: Ultra High to Extreme....you get the point

before these settings tweaks I had produced a fine stable O.C at 4.7Ghz, (1.46v)

these new DIGI+ settings were met with me even bringing down the CPU voltage to 1.45v from 1.46. I was aware that these new DIGI+ settings would produce a more stable O.C but at a cost of higher temps but the temps never reached past 62 degrees Celsius on the Core temp or 70 degrees on the socket temp....weird. The CPU and NB water-blocks were snog on there too, with adequate thermal paste.