Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

He was using after market cooling on the VRM. Technically, this is not covered by warranty. After market blocks can be notorious for causing issues with FET contact and over torque due to machining tolerances varying wildly. Would not be surprised if that played a part in this issue.

Threads merged.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Not under warranty? I've used multiple of these boards with the waterblock and returned them with no warranty issues. That's like saying if you get an aftermarket CPU cooler it's warranty is voided. This is a heatsink replacement....not a motherboard modification. Even when I talked to ASUS OVER the phone Monday in detail about my setup and problem that occured there was no indication that I wouldn't receive a replacement.

Also, I am very confident that all FETS were equally covered and with appropriate applied pressure to them as well as the nessesary thermal paste applied to each.

I have contacted the Escalations team a out this. Should receive some reply soon.
    MB: Crosshair V formula-Z
    CPU: AMD FX8350 (8-core) @ 4.7Ghz
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (8x2) 16gb
    GPU: AMD Firepro W8100 (8GB workstation card)
    cooling: custom water loop ,Ocool Nexxus U60 420 triple radiator,
    Swiftech MCP655-B pump, Bitspower Compression fittings
    HDD: OCZ OCZ "Vector" 256gb
    PSU: NZX Hale90 v.2 1200W

New ROGer Array

I also have the Ek block for the motherboard. When I got it, I debated on whether I should use thermal paste or the .5mm heat transfer pads that come with the block. I used the pads, since as mentioned earlier, machining can be off and result in insufficient contact between the block and mosfet. Even though it's only .5mm thick, it ensures a proper heat transfer in case of poor contact; something thermal paste will not do, unless you use more than enough, which will make Temps worse than no paste at all.

Give just the heat transfer pads a try.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Correct me if I'm wrong here Raja, but shouldn't he be well within the capabilities of this board while south of 1.5 Vcore (even with Ultra High LLC)? After all, you guys sell the CHVF-Z as 9590 capable, and that CPU under heavy load runs north of 1.5Vcore frequently.
    And thats with no added cooling on the VRM heatsink.

Something is amiss here because i've really tortured my CHVF-Z with no extra cooling on the VRM, and nothing went south---well, except for the onboard LAN controller, but I chalk that up to me scratching some traces with the 20+ times I've switched the mobo between cases. Certainly no fire---and yes, I have disabled the VRM overheat protection in the BIOS.

Heck, I've even tried Vcore as high as 1.45 with LLC set to EXTREME @ 5ghz, Power Reponse to Ultra Fast, etc. and my board is still fine.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

enjoiskaterguy - Welcome to ROG.
    I don't want to get any Flames going here but for my own curiosity I would love to see the edge/other side of the board and the inside of the case.
    I would further, only for my own edification, liked to have inspected the wiring, which isn't possible now.
    As in all things Raja. ty for the info.
    Best of Luck in this and all your ROGventures Skatie. .c.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoiskaterguy View Post
    Not under warranty? I've used multiple of these boards with the waterblock and returned them with no warranty issues. That's like saying if you get an aftermarket CPU cooler it's warranty is voided. This is a heatsink replacement....not a motherboard modification. Even when I talked to ASUS OVER the phone Monday in detail about my setup and problem that occured there was no indication that I wouldn't receive a replacement.
    Hello

There is a difference between installing a required CPU heatsink and modifying the board by removing a pre-installed component heatsink.

Quote Originally Posted by blppt View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here Raja, but shouldn't he be well within the capabilities of this board while south of 1.5 Vcore (even with Ultra High LLC)? After all, you guys sell the CHVF-Z as 9590 capable, and that CPU under heavy load runs north of 1.5Vcore frequently.
    And thats with no added cooling on the VRM heatsink.
    Hello

This is also with the factory heatsink properly installed. Although this does not negate the fact that any reasonably informed person would find it prudent to supply active airflow across the VRM area for the operating conditions stated. Below is just one example of misadventure because of user installed VRM water cooling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2277394.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	49389

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

"Hello

This is also with the factory heatsink properly installed. Although this does not negate the fact that any reasonably informed person would find it prudent to supply active airflow across the VRM area for the operating conditions stated. Below is just one example of misadventure because of user installed VRM water cooling."

I was referring to the 9590 at stock speeds---as with a lot of water coolers (such as the one AMD ships with the 9590, btw) there is no airflow over the VRMs when you use the stock AMD water cooler (versus a HSF). But, ASUS doesnt mention anything about requiring airflow over the VRMs while advertising 9590 compatibility. Just something to think about.

ROG Member Array

Just fried a board like this with a 9370, waiting for RMA atm.
    Settings were 1.5 Volt + extreme llc.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chris______ View Post
    Just fried a board like this with a 9370, waiting for RMA atm.
    Settings were 1.5 Volt + extreme llc.
    Just got answer from asus. they claime wrong use of thermal paste, well what can u do...
    Been overclocking for 15 years and i think i know how to, with extra vents and airflow.. anyways wount spend time with costumer support so NeXT build is not from asus, thank you while it lasted.
    GL overclocking

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blppt View Post
    "Hello

This is also with the factory heatsink properly installed. Although this does not negate the fact that any reasonably informed person would find it prudent to supply active airflow across the VRM area for the operating conditions stated. Below is just one example of misadventure because of user installed VRM water cooling."

I was referring to the 9590 at stock speeds---as with a lot of water coolers (such as the one AMD ships with the 9590, btw) there is no airflow over the VRMs when you use the stock AMD water cooler (versus a HSF). But, ASUS doesnt mention anything about requiring airflow over the VRMs while advertising 9590 compatibility. Just something to think about.
    This is one of those areas where yes more info could help altho there is always the assumption that a system integrator should understand basic thermodynamics and electronics.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast