Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Second Board - Can't Load Windows

Hi Everyone,

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. This all began last Sunday when I went to shut down my system to move some drives around, after this was done it took many attempts (over 10) to get it to complete POST, at which point I got the 'Overclocking Failed" message. Prior to the shutdown I was running at stock speeds. Windows hung up while trying to launch and I ended up back trying to get the system to complete POST (diagnostic codes were random, mainly 79). Letting it sit there for upwards of 5-10 minutes wouldn't make a difference. I switched over to BIOS2 and Windows still wouldn't boot (BSOD) but I figured this way I could update to the latest BIOS (1302 at the time) then copy that back to BIOS1. That copy failed and killed BIOS1 (00 when trying to POST). BIOS2 would take many tries before completing POST, half the time it would lock up trying to enter UEFI. There is obviously a lot more to this part of the story but it ends in an RMA.

Fast forward a week... I've learned a bunch about the RMA process with Asus and decided that I didn't want to go through this again, so I bought another RVE from a local supplier and got their in store coverage on the board. My original Windows installation still produced a BSOD. I decided I should start fresh - attempted to boot Windows 8 setup off a USB thumb drive - BSOD. So I can't boot my existing install, nor can I reinstall. On the plus side this new board completes POST 95% of the time. I'll list out everything I've tried below along with my system specs. I'm at a loss and I really hope it is something stupid I have overlooked and not something else expensive like a bad processor.

Steps I have gone through with the new board:
    - Updated the new board to 1302
    - To begin with I stripped the system down to the bare minimum. One graphics card, one stick of ram, CPU, power supply and a USB keyboard. Everything is running at stock.
    - Both 980 cards individually. I also tired a 560 that I have in my spare system.
    - Each stick of ram individually in slot A1
    - Each processor core individually
    - Multiple USB drives. Re-downloaded Windows 8 setup files. Tried to install from DVD (using SATA DVD drive). Tried multiple USB ports.
    - Legacy and UEFI boot
    - Relaxing memory timings to 16-18-18-36-2
    - Raising system agent voltage by 0.20 (based on some suggestions I read in this forum)
    - Enabling/disabling CSM, secure boot, xHCI mode.

System:
    17 5930k
    16gb GSkill Ripjaws4 2800
    2x EVGA 980 OC ACX 2.0
    EVGA 1000W Supernova G2

HELP!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Please list all the HDDs and SSDs that you're using. Also specify which one you're using for your Windows install.

ROG Member Array

I have removed all HDDs (stripped system down to bare minimum). At this point I am just trying to get Windows setup to launch. I have tried with either one of my SSDs connected just for the heck of it, same results so they are disconnected again. SSDS:

120gb Patriot Piro SE
    240GB Intel 530

Sorry I should have included this in my original post. I've tried so many things in attempt to narrow this down.

ROG Member Array

No mouse connected. I have tried two different keyboards in various ports.

I assume you're using an original copy of Windows 8 for installation? Also have you tried using different SATA cables and SATA ports?

There is a new BIOS available for the motherboard. Update to it using a freshly FAT32 formatted USB pendrive and the EZ Flash Utility in the BIOS. Once the process is over, shutdown your system. Clear your CMOS. Then go inside the BIOS and make sure AHCI is selected for the SATA controller. Then proceed to install Windows again. If it BSODs again, go back into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot. Then try again.

ROG Member Array

Correct - this is an original copy of Windows 8 bought from Microsoft's online store. I used their utility to create the installation media. I also tested the various media that I have created with another PC and that PC boots Windows setup without issue.

Edit - Yes I have tried different SATA cables and ports.

I saw there were issues a few days ago with that newer BIOS release which is why I stuck with 1302, I'll follow the steps you outlined and report back shortly. Thanks for all of your help

ROG Member Array

Completed the steps you outlined. Same results, even with Secure Boot disabled.

By any chance, did you get a glimpse of the BSOD? Does it provide any useful information for us to identify the problem?

ROG Member Array

Sadly not - it goes by very fast. I have tried to hit pause to catch it in time, but I'm not sure if it even will respond to that command.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast