cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW - No Sound from HDMI - solved, thanks!

dragonpride0
Level 7
Hi. I'm having issues getting sound to come out of the HDMI port when I connect it to an external TV, but I am getting video perfectly fine thru the HDMI. I had downgraded the OS from win8 to win7 and installed the audio drivers on the ASUS support page. However I can't get any sound to come thru the HDMI and from the TV.
I had even tried to set the default audio device under Playback Devices, but only the Speakers and Digital Audio (S/PDIF) are selectable and none of options was able to output sound coming from the TV
All sounds are still coming from the laptop's speakers. I tried uninstalling the VIA drivers and installed the realtek drivers which is also not working or installed as it only shows High Definition Audio Device as the sound device in Device Manager.

I am currently running out of ideas on how to get audio to output thru the HDMI port. Is it possible that the G46VW's HDMI port is only able to output video but not audio?
5 REPLIES 5

Pandur
Level 10
Assuming your G46 is like my G55 then your hdmi audio should show up as Nvidia hdmi output in playback devices. If you've installed the latest Geforce drivers they also contain the audio drivers.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

C4RN1 wrote:
Install this driver

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/83082

Do a clean install and reboot. This should fix your issue.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks. I did the clean install and the TV shows up in the audio selection and is working perfectly. Thank you everyone for the help!

TokoDude
Level 10
I had even tried to set the default audio device under Playback Devices, but only the Speakers and Digital Audio (S/PDIF) are selectable and none of options was able to output sound coming from the TV

I experienced this problem 2.

To fix it i did:

Download the latest driver (not from ASUS website). I used Driver Pack Solution for that it has a new driver.
If you got the latest update installed you may need to set your TV as default playback device.

If there's no sound coming out click right under on the sound Picture---> MIXER--> Enable all applications to have sound and turn your sound higher.

And like the other guys said it's important to have the latest NVIDIA update.
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

srmojuze
Level 10
Yeah a bit fiddly but generally the Nvidia HDMI works OK following steps like above. Cheers for the tip!