Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

ASUS GL551JM-EH74 stuck on Aptio Setup Utility Screen [PLEASE HELP!!!]

As title says, my GL551JM is stuck on this Aptio setup utility screen and I don't know what to do, hoping someone can walk me through the steps to fix it without voiding my warranty or losing all my files. I've had this notebook for 3 months, and use it for 95% school work and 5% gaming. Never go on any bad websites or download anything whatsoever.

Last night, this came up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	48184
    Screen went black for a second and then went to this screen:

Views:	9 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	48185

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I just really need some help and obviously this is my first post. Again, I did nothing at all to cause this, I was literally browsing the Internet when this occurred. No modifications or anything.

to get fast help when it comes to notebooks, best is to post in the notebook section where the ppl who have notebooks hangs out.

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by K561R View Post
    As title says, my GL551JM is stuck on this Aptio setup utility screen and I don't know what to do, hoping someone can walk me through the steps to fix it without voiding my warranty or losing all my files. I've had this notebook for 3 months, and use it for 95% school work and 5% gaming. Never go on any bad websites or download anything whatsoever.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I just really need some help and obviously this is my first post. Again, I did nothing at all to cause this, I was literally browsing the Internet when this occurred. No modifications or anything.
    Hope it's okay to move your thread here, but suggest using the arrow keys in the bios to move to the 'advanced' menu, using the down arrow and 'enter' keys to select 'SATA Configuration', and make sure the notebook still shows you have a hard drive attached.

If you don't see anything listed, consider sending the notebook back for warranty service to get the system checked and hard drive replaced if necessary (hopefully you have backed up your data or don't have anything important you are worried about losing?).

Below is a thread about contacting your local ASUS support and arrange the repair/RMA if you're interested.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...wide-RMA-Guide

Otherwise, feel free to troubleshoot more if your hard drive still appears in the bios and hopefully we can get more suggestions from others too.
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 04-06-2015 at 05:11 PM.

ROG Member Array

Thank you for trying to help, this is what it shows under SATA Config. Looks like it isn't showing the hard drive?

Views:	7 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	48186

Super Moderator Array

Yes, unfortunately, it's not a good sign if you don't see your hard drive listed although the DVD drive for my G551JM test unit doesn't always show up even when it works (my hard drive always shows up though), so it might still be worth trying other things to confirm your hard drive really needs to be replaced, but it sounds like Windows probably has a problem at least if not the hard drive iteself.
    Don't think it's likely to make a difference and may not be worth taking any chances with warranty, but if you know how to remove the hard drive, try reconnecting it.

If you don't want to try more things (that probably don't have a great chance of helping?), feel free to contact your local ASUS support to send in the notebook and get it taken care of under warranty.

Otherwise, if you want to pursue it and spend the time and trouble, just wondering if you have any data you are worried about, or if you are okay erasing everything and if you have either an ASUS Backtracker back up for your recovery partition on a USB drive, or a normal Windows installation disk to check if it sees any hard drives connected?

If you are worried about saving your hard drive data, we can talk about this first before trying other things although it may not really be possible if the hard drive is bad.

Also, you might check the system again tomorrow after it's been off all night just to see if anything has changed since flaky hardware may sometimes work and not work at different times.

If you haven't heard of ASUS Backtracker or want more information, please check the thread below, but you want to back up any important data before trying to reinstall your hard drive image with the back-up if available.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...very-Partition
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 04-06-2015 at 07:12 PM.

New ROGer Array

I have the exact same problem this morning. Hard drive is no where to be found in "SATA configuration". I pull the SSD out and tried to connect it to another computer but nothing shows up. Is it dead? Is there any way I can recover the data before returning it to Asus? Please help (
    EDIT: I plugged it into my other computer again. and the disk shows up as unallocated space (( Does this mean that all my data is lost?
    Last edited by tcao2; 04-07-2015 at 09:06 PM.

ROG Member Array

Yeah, is there any way I can back up my data now or is it too late? 3 weeks before final exams, and all my notes were saved on this computer..

Super Moderator Array

If you have an easy way to get an external USB hard drive housing and can safely remove the hard drive, this will usually be your best bet to get to the data by connecting it to another system, but it probably will not work if the hard drive itself is actually bad although if it's flaky and works once in a while, you might be able to get some files off it still.

Also, don't remember all the details about disk file systems, but would suggest connecting the USB hard drive to a Win8 system if possible, but it may still be worth trying a Win7 system if it's easier (tcao2, you may want to tell us which operating system was installed on your hard drive and the system you were connecting it to in case others have more suggestions?).

If you have any local repair shops or stores you can trust and prefer, you may want to check with them too and see if they can help you back-up (for a price of course).

Good luck!

just to have said it, and not trying to be an ass or enny thing like that.

try and back up your work to an external drive or USB stick when ever you can.
    a HDD or SSD can die whit out warning, ive lost too mutch private data that way my self.
    as of now i back up on 2 places just to be on the safe side.

you have cloud storage or a usb drive whit auto backup program on it.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by kkn View Post
    just to have said it, and not trying to be an ass or enny thing like that.

try and back up your work to an external drive or USB stick when ever you can.
    a HDD or SSD can die whit out warning, ive lost too mutch private data that way my self.
    as of now i back up on 2 places just to be on the safe side.
    Thanks bud, I learned that the hard way. I just have never had any issue like this happen to me in my entire life; then again, I've only had a PC for 3 months. Not trying to be an ass or anything. Pretty disappointed with the switch thus far. Hopefully this isn't a regular occurrence, and hopefully it doesn't happen again, but I will definitely back up my important files from here on out.

Thank you Albert for helping, I sent my notebook out today to ASUS,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast