cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I got tricked and almost bought a Maximus VII Hero

Oranges
Level 7
For the past few weeks I've been dedicating alot of my time to searching on the internet for the right components for my new build.
As soon as I saw the Maximus VII Hero, I got hot for it. The few reviews I found online praised it for its overclockability, lan, audio..
And because I'm a bit of an audiophile, I ofcourse have some good headphones with a decent soundstage (Sennheiser HD598) and high quality.

Oh man! These headphones with the absolutely INSANE onboard audio! Are you kidding me?! THIS IS GOING TO BE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. There is NO way there is going to be a problem. This is going to be a dream!

I had to make sure how amazing the experience is going to be. I decided to look up some user experience reviews of the Maximus VII Hero audio, just so I could further convince myself that this is going to be an experience some can only dream about.

But that's not what I got. Not at all.

Instead, every single mention of audio was bad.
Crackling, popping, whining, static.. I couldn't believe it. A disaster. A disgrace.
For such an absolute top notch premium product as the Maximus VII boards. The paid reviews I read almost convinced me the audio was amazing as promised in the advertisements. I got almost tricked. My dreams were crushed. And to learn that these problems persisted from the VI series is just.. I can't believe this.
12 REPLIES 12

Nahrga
Level 10
I must admit that I'm a bit disappointed with the onboard audio on my VII Ranger. It's not that bad, however, it is still below my expectations.

I have the "audio popping" issue myself, it is only on certain devices though. My Logitech Z 5500 and Turtle Beach Z22 got no audio popping, while it is pretty bad on my old Creative Fatal1ty headset.
An other issue I got is a low humming noise through my speakers and headset while moving my mouse in games (not sure if it's related to the onboard audio though).

So if you want a motherboard with great onboard audio you shouldn't buy a Maximus VII motherboard. I've tried the Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 motherboard and it got way better audio for some reason (and no audio popping), I've no idea why they didn't use the same sound circuit on the Maximus boards.

Karlo666
Level 7
OnBoard Audio cant be good as exclusive SoundCard HW.

Hero VII audio chip is really great but not amazing.

End Of Story.

Karlo666 wrote:
OnBoard Audio cant be good as exclusive SoundCard HW.

Hero VII audio chip is really great but not amazing.

End Of Story.

Doesn't have to be. All I'm asking for is what is being advertised.

drop4205
Level 12
Onboard audio is not that bad with messing around with settings. If your a true audiophile person then you will want a dedicated setup for it
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Mantik
Level 7
Oranges wrote:
For the past few weeks I've been dedicating alot of my time to searching on the internet for the right components for my new build.
As soon as I saw the Maximus VII Hero, I got hot for it. The few reviews I found online praised it for its overclockability, lan, audio..
And because I'm a bit of an audiophile, I ofcourse have some good headphones with a decent soundstage (Sennheiser HD598) and high quality.

Oh man! These headphones with the absolutely INSANE onboard audio! Are you kidding me?! THIS IS GOING TO BE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. There is NO way there is going to be a problem. This is going to be a dream!

I had to make sure how amazing the experience is going to be. I decided to look up some user experience reviews of the Maximus VII Hero audio, just so I could further convince myself that this is going to be an experience some can only dream about.

Crackling, popping, whining, static.. I couldn't believe it. A disaster. A disgrace.
For such an absolute top notch premium product as the Maximus VII boards. The paid reviews I read almost convinced me the audio was amazing as promised in the advertisements. I got almost tricked. My dreams were crushed. And to learn that these problems persisted from the VI series is just.. I can't believe this.

lel.

pstlouis
Level 7
Oranges wrote:

buy a sound blaster Z audio card if you are a audio fan. don't use the onboard audio.

Squall_Rinoa89
Level 8
Audio must be hit or miss because I haven't had issues with mine at all.. Tho no audiophile would use on board anyways.
Lian Li 011 Dynamic White Case
Intel Core i9 Coffee lake 9900K @ 5.1GHz
ASUS STRIX Z390-E LGA 1151
Corsair DDR4 Corsair Dominator 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CAS 18
EVGA nVidia RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA 10GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 PSU
1x 512GB SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD
2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
1x WD BLACK 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA Hard Drive (6.0Gb/s)

nitroburn
Level 7
Sounds great here. Try adding some chokes to your audio cables, you must have EMI problems. I have a Klipsch Pro Audio 2.1 speaker set and don't hear any of these problems with choked speaker wire.

nitroburn wrote:
Sounds great here. Try adding some chokes to your audio cables, you must have EMI problems. I have a Klipsch Pro Audio 2.1 speaker set and don't hear any of these problems with choked speaker wire.

I also do not experience the issues peeps describe and also use the Klipsch Pro 2.1. Not sure what choked wire is though....