cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GTX 980 Strix constantly hitting 90+ c after only 2-3 minutes - HELP!!

Mercury
Level 7
Hi, my gtx 980 strix has started to hit temps around 89-94c when only gaming for around 2-3 minutes. I have the fan on auto profile and have physically checked to see that both fans do indeed spin.

I believe the thermal paste may have been put on too thick or cracked and is no longer making proper contact between the card and the cooler.

Asus, can I please repaste the card to see if that will fix it? There is a warranty sticker on one of the screws and I don't want to void my warranty in case new thermal pasting doesn't fix the overheating.

Please respond asap! My computer is down until I know if I can repaste or need to submit an RMA. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
Can you increase the fan speed to 100% using GPU Tweak to test? See if your temperatures stay the same or they go down a little. Report back your results.

Mercury
Level 7
Yeah, if I max the fan speed out, it drops down to 79-83c. It has to be the thermal paste right?

Mercury
Level 7
Can an Asus rep please let me know if I can try to repaste the thermal interface material.

Chino, I appreciate the help, but it does not answer my original question.

Chino
Level 15
Repasting your GPU is a simple task and it can probably be done in a couple of minutes. But the second you remove that warranty sticker, your warranty is void.