cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SCRATCHBUILD] Bulldozer Massive case Project

BaxterTheFly
Level 7
Heya guys,

First off, big thanks to Gigatron for supporting me on this build and agreeing to display it in their store after its completed!

One grand thanks to sponsors for putting their faith in me!!!

CoolerMaster:

Phobya:

AlphaCool:

AquaTuning:

Shakmods:

I started working on this project few days ago and i thought, lets post some of it.. Idea and startlog first
It will be a massive bulldozer looking case as a tribute for AMD and their FX series of processors...

Model 3D:

I switched from case mod to scratch build 😄 entire bottom frame complete 🙂 also some welds needed to be fixed.. been a while since i welded anything 🙂

48 REPLIES 48

BaxterTheFly
Level 7

Day 3, i started late, and i didn’t have material for more, going to buy some more tomorrow 😄

These 3 are just tossed sides to make it look similar to end project, there is still more to be done, these are just reference scaling pics 🙂

BaxterTheFly
Level 7
I am gonna have to start getting some interior work, need to get it all together before I take it apart for painting... also i got some nice looking screws for estetic work... Also i will need to pick up swoop, real swoop for mini bulldozer, its gonna be quite massive *cast iron* 😄 also i got led strips to go inside ( yellow ) i will need to calculate how to molex them correctly so if anyone could send me some link to assist me on what is the relations on lenght/molex, than i will need to get cable extenders to place ( they will be preset to the build connecting in PSU chamber ) sleeved yellow black ( also need to sleeve them, but only need to do half cuz i got black sleeved from RaidMax ). I also made some adjustments, the windscreen will be touchscreen fan controller modded to fit. Making contact connectors so i don’t have to remove cables from the side panel and so there are no cables... apart from the ones imbedded in the side panel it self. Grabbing electric window adjuster for the top part so the entire cabin will lift at a push of a button, exposing the components that will be underneath 🙂 .
Rims for the side, the entire PC will move forward than... I will put some small wheels on the bottom of the case and move it with electric car window adjuster so it pops out when i need to do something and it will pop all the way out... Also the engine compartment will host twin modular power supply in parallel. ( side intake / front exhaust ) i will need to mod it a bit so that power cable can get to it... i found angled power cable so i will first try with that one.

1/3 of the swoop that i am making, it will be 3 parts like those at different angles covered by aluminum sheets
Also, the mud protector will be reduced in size to 210mm to get in line with the tracks that will be 200mm

Cabin, it will lift upwards to open the pc components, windows will be plexiglass.

That fan will be as the top link of rotor for tracks

That top turned out nice 😄

also i figured out and i custom ordered set of these with the exact lenght and 2 rows of threads that connect them to be used as tracks

As for the paint job goes, yellow with black stripes on some parts, details like the bolts will be black, grill will be black with RED backlight on top and bottom, also red non transparent mesh behind the grill... Cabin i cant decide Yellow or black, but it will have yellow backlight, roof will be black, windscreen - i hope, NZXT LX. Also, for hidraulics effect on swoop i am going with rear suspension from VW Golf 6 and for the smaller ones on the bottom side, it will be suspension for 5th dour on VW Golf 6 as well... Aprox weight empty, around 30 kilos, full around 50 🙂 still struggling with system that will go in, i got some of it, ( my gamer rig )... And the good news :D, I got a spot in the PC show in Belgrade Fair 🙂
One side complete, may look funny now odd now but over the tubes there is gonna be fan grill in shape of the gears...

Yeah its gonna be massive, after i finish 2nd side, fenders and cabin tomorrow its painting time 🙂 and after that, DETAIL TIME... also, once the swoop gets in place, the bar that goes along side the dozer will give it totally different look, ( its gonna be hazelnut board piece - extremely light wood ) also i reduced the weight by allot... its gonna be 20 kilos w/o equipment inside and w/o the swoop...

Also the mechanism for opening the case will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_S6YT_Ku8 the middle CASE part will have wheels for easier manipulation ...

BaxterTheFly
Level 7
Here it is guys, what those pipes are and how i mounted them 🙂
Side panel with holes drilled

Checking the pipes because i need to flaten the contact area between them so they fit... they are f110mm but the part where they touch the board is 125 so there isnt any room between them.

Turned it around after i got them in to place and now i am preparing to mount them... marking the holes and stuff..

ok mounting method, simple but efficient 🙂

The hight of the case: ( for refference its 730mm )

And the case with both side panels "tubed" 🙂

the side panels drop inwords at the bottom, i will have to set some distancers there, they must have gap of around 1.5mm in order for case to slide out, once i mount them to the board it should be fine with some anti scratch tapes and it will gonna go nice and smooth 🙂

Also guys, sorry for the pictures, i dont know what happened, but i will edit with smaller images tonight.

BaxterTheFly
Level 7
Heya guys again, mini update.

In order to fit 2PSU’s inside, i had to reduce the side of my ventilation tube for the “side intake, front exhaust” 🙂

Just to show you how hard it is when you have to use hand tools 😉 my circular saw died on me 😞

And this is going to finish as the drawer type PSU mount, so i can remove PSU just by pulling them out centered, enough space, and doesn’t heat up rest of the system.

totalrognoob
Level 7
I might say you want to put a metal panel(or fine wire mesh) between the two, just to try and keep the magnetic field from one from reaching the other, but they do have metal casings, which ought to make that probably not a problem. I'm just a little paranoid about making sure I have redundant safety features on my equipment. Though the slotting and so on in the casings of the PSUs might allow the fields to propagate to the other and throw off the transformers.
Food for thought?

BaxterTheFly
Level 7
there is gonna be the the metal mesh on the bottom and they will lie on top of it.. just to keep things cooler, i will take a pic later ( they will stand on that mesh because i need to raise it a bit, i dont know i you noticed its on screws for now... also in between there is gonna be a metal mounting system, they need to be sturdy and connected to the board... the mounting system will be also simple but efficient, something like this : 48287 but with less overhang on the sides... and on the bottom there will be 2 L profiles that keep PSU at bay... its gonna have allot of static security, dont worry 🙂 but tnx for advice, if i didnt plan in like i did, I would have listened to your advice 🙂

BaxterTheFly
Level 7
Ok guys, as you noticed i am pretty low funded 😞 so i am using the best of what i can get 🙂
Lets stray from the main build for a bit and let me show you my pride components that are in a dire need for modifications 🙂
Planning to add backlight, USB passtrough, and a volume knob to it 🙂 paint it yellow and red, replace keycaps with possibly full metal ones in red, make tracks on the sides to look like a tiny flat dozer and wristrest that would be painted and attached like a swoop 🙂

The keyboard in question is Chicony KB-5181 with cherry MX blues

Also, my 2nd keyboard with orange omron switches 🙂 works like a charm after almost 30 years in service :D! i will see what i can d with this one 🙂

P.S. i am gonna put reduced size pictures instead of the ones on top in half an hour 🙂

Korth
Level 14
lol you could probably get some real swag for those old keyboards at places like geekhack.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
lol you could probably get some real swag for those old keyboards at places like geekhack.

I am really hoping for some more ideas on what to do before i do it 🙂 its kind of a between hammer and the nail thing 😄