Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g74sx THX problems after clean install

kaltoreth
Level 8
Ohoi ya landlubbers!

Luuuv my g74sx 😃
Hated the bloatware infected win7 home premium version, so i went to my nearest it shop, and bought win7 ultimate.

Did a fresh install, installed all the usefull stuff. Such as atk, chipset stuff, power4gear thingy and a few others. And the THX sound thingy.

But for some reason, when i open the THX TruStudio, i only get external speakers, and headset. But heres the funny thing. No matter what i swap between, or turn it on/off - Cant hear any difference.

Before i formated, and did all this, it actually did improve the built in speakers by quite some bit, and i really did hear it if I turned it on/off.

I installed the realtek drivers from both Asus.com and a sticky here: But no go.
Any hot tips ? 😃

CHeers for awsome community btw 😃 Ive read ALOT and enjoyed alot of posts.

The Kal.
Everybody remember where we parked.
-James Kirk, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, after landing the cloaked Klingon bird of prey in Golden Gate park

..and yes, I drive an electric car yo.
7 REPLIES 7

JRd1st
Level 12
Click the triangle in THX and update it. 😄

Welcome to RoG, Captain!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

BrodyBoy
Level 10
kaltoreth wrote:
But for some reason, when i open the THX TruStudio, i only get external speakers, and headset. But heres the funny thing. No matter what i swap between, or turn it on/off - Cant hear any difference.

Before i formated, and did all this, it actually did improve the built in speakers by quite some bit, and i really did hear it if I turned it on/off.

I installed the realtek drivers from both Asus.com and a sticky here: But no go.
Any hot tips ? 😃

CHeers for awsome community btw 😃 Ive read ALOT and enjoyed alot of posts.

The Kal.

Keep in mind that only the Realtek or only the THX equalizer can be active at once. If you re-installed the Realtek driver, perhaps it re-asserted its authority and disabled the THX equalizer. 😉

The freebie THX download is a truncated version of the program, BTW. It has pretty limited funtionality, and all you'll ever get is External Speaker and Headset.

Cheers 😃

I uninstalled both the Realtek and my THX thingy. Booted. Downed The realteak from Asus site, and the THX. Reinstalled both, and booted. And now it works.

There are TWO things i miss from my Toshiba Qoosimo ..
Harman and Kardon speakers (frickin insane laptop built in speakers) and the keyboard.
Thinking about gooing and getting the Logitech z305 laptop speakers tomorow, as a mate have'em - and they are pretty damn good!

Other than that, im gonna go ASUS for live if they keep this awsomeness up, performance wise! My Qoosimo was good, but got hot as ass! 😃

The Kal.
-James Kirk, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, after landing the cloaked Klingon bird of prey in Golden Gate park

Well....I'm sure Asus would be happy to hear how pleased you are! But honestly, I've seen a lot more people who have problems and complaints about their Asus laptops, and people who've sworn off Asus forever.

I'm kind of in between. I think the basic design of Asus laptops varies a lot....some seem very solid, some seem kinda cheap. But overall, I think their quality control is suspect, and far too many people get brand new machines with issues out-of-box.

I do know what you mean about Toshiba speakers....far superior to anything I've ever heard in another laptop. (The G74 speakers are simply awful....there's no way to sugarcoat that.) But to be fair, Toshiba put a subwoofer in most of their multimedia laptops....the Qosmio included, right?....and that makes an enormous difference in what a laptop can do. It's kind of frustrating what an afterthought the sound is in the G74, because I think there's room in there that would have accommodated a much better design....including a bottom-firing sub.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Well....I'm sure Asus would be happy to hear how pleased you are! But honestly, I've seen a lot more people who have problems and complaints about their Asus laptops, and people who've sworn off Asus forever.

I'm kind of in between. I think the basic design of Asus laptops varies a lot....some seem very solid, some seem kinda cheap. But overall, I think their quality control is suspect, and far too many people get brand new machines with issues out-of-box.

I do know what you mean about Toshiba speakers....far superior to anything I've ever heard in another laptop. (The G74 speakers are simply awful....there's no way to sugarcoat that.) But to be fair, Toshiba put a subwoofer in most of their multimedia laptops....the Qosmio included, right?....and that makes an enormous difference in what a laptop can do. It's kind of frustrating what an afterthought the sound is in the G74, because I think there's room in there that would have accommodated a much better design....including a bottom-firing sub.

I think its impossible to cater everyone.

What i love about my asus, is the increadible power and cooling. Im playing with it on my lap, and there is no heat on my legs. Im playing Rift atm, at max settings at good fps, and loving it.
Like I said, the only thin this latpop misses, is a better keyboard (Toshiba satelite / Qoosimo is waay better on that) and better built inn speakers (Again, Toshiba with Harman and Kardon speakers OWN this laptop.)

But still, im bloody well happy!

JRd1st
Level 12
I wish Asus would design the laptops and manufacture the motherboard and let someone else manufacture the notebook. Someone like motorola or whoever manufactures the Kindle Fire for Amazon. That thing is NICE for $200
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

BrodyBoy
Level 10
JRd1st wrote:
I wish Asus would design the laptops and manufacture the motherboard and let someone else manufacture the notebook. Someone like motorola or whoever manufactures the Kindle Fire for Amazon. That thing is NICE for $200
It's probably the difference between using the Chinese factory that pays $1.00 per hour versus the one that pays $1.05. I know that sounds harsh, but all this stuff is made over there and we've all seen that some products are total crap, while other products (Apple devices, the Kindle apparently...) have top notch build quality. Corporations are so hungry to squeeze out every bit of margin they can muster....and labor is one of their favorite places to cut back.