ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array adamsyes's Avatar

Virtuwatt product key issue

It seems that virtuwatt license gets removed when you update Intel drivers.
    Seriously guys..

FYI when properly installed with latest nvidia driver, it actually does a good job. I love the software, but it's clearly in a form of "beta". Half the time it doesn't work. My FPS and gpu temp have been better when VirtuWatt is running.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Ill be honest, it seems the general consensus of this forum that the virtuwatt drivers cause more harm then good. Not sure if its just a coincidence but I know back in early January i saw more then one post associating virtuwatt with bricked units. Anytyhing key related for OEM type bloatware you likely have to approach Asus and that software creator in order to fix. Personally, when I replaced my G20AJ (my first one bricked in 3 days) I disabled, uninstalled then deleted any registry references to Vitruwatt.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Ravenholme PC Specs
    Ravenholme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G20AJ-US009S
    MotherboardAsus H97
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 4790
    Memory (part number)16GB - Kingston DDR3 1600MHz CL11 1.35v SODIMM - KVR16LS11/8
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - Founders Edition (ASUS)
    MonitorBenQ BL3201PH (4K/UHD IPS LED)
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
    Storage #2Seagate SSHD 1TB
    CaseAsus G20AJ
    Power SupplyAsus 180W PSU AC Adapter + Dell Y90RR 330W PSU AC Adapter
    Mouse Razer Ouroboros
    Headset Turtlebeach
    Headset/Speakers (The BenQ)
    OS Windows 10
    Accessory #1 ASUS (SBC-06D2X-U) Slim External 6x Blu-ray Combo Drive
    Accessory #2 Asus GPU Tweak II - OC: 2050 Mhz, 90°C max, 120% Power, vsync off
    Accessory #3 http://rog.asus.com/realbench/show_comment.php?id=8796

from my end my system runs fine but that's because i removed much of the bloatware and the virtuwatt. I also disabled the intel graphics chip internally within windows (device manager) not via bios. i found the graphics switching was lagging my system whenever i launched an app that required the nvidia chip.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Bodycount69 PC Specs
    Bodycount69 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 Motherboard
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6900K 20M Broadwell-E 8-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 2011-v3
    Memory (part number)CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition
    Graphics Card #2ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition
    MonitorAsus ROG PG348Q Black 34
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
    CaseCorsair Graphite Series White Steel 780T Full Tower PC Case
    Power SupplyCORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Full Modular Power Supply
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark USB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G502 Tunable FPS Optical Gaming Mouse
    Headset SteelSeries Siberia 840 wireless gaming headset
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Heavy Mousepad
    OS Windows 10 64Bit

The program is junk me and a lot of G20 owners had problems turns out it was this program uninstall it and never look back.
    Asus ROG PG348Q Black 34" 3440 x 1440, 100Hz Curved IPS G-Sync 21:9 WQHD Gaming Monitor
    2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition in SLI

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array adamsyes's Avatar

In order properly make it work. You need to play around with the BIOS, and enable eco energy mode under on-board device.

Also, CPU Display has to be the primary setup. Meaning, the HDMI need to be plug in the Motherboard not on the GPU.

From there, virtuwatt will play pretty much function like optimus. my GPU turns itself down when it's not in use (750GTX) and auto switches to GPU when I launch a game. I guess for most, it's not important, but for me, running the gpu at 24-31c idle and then auto shuts off seems power efficient and I need that for my bills

Also, They should of had just intergrated this within the motherboard imo. Dividing it with a software isn't ideal. Half the people don't even read the manual from the box (it has the virtuwatt guide setup lmao) so it explains why so many people are having issues. So I had to manually create a windows schedule task to run it into Admin and the software seems to work flawlessly. Please ASUS, update the software or find a better way to implement this. Some of us got this to also obtain the full advertised benefits of the content that came with the G20..

It's really unfortunate that ASUS projected their software partnership with little care. For some, having a completely quiet Desktop is so relaxing and amazing. However, just to get it setup that way, gets pretty technical.

Im just looking for a functional software. Because I reformatted W8.1 in order to have a clean install. hence, when I installed virtuwatt, the key works some times, and sometimes it doesn't work, disabling the software and making my games run via CPU rather than GPU.
    Last edited by adamsyes; 04-16-2015 at 05:03 PM.