cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

980 GTX Ref. Models

edmak1804
Level 7
Does anyone have a solid list of all the reference models of the 980GTX?
So far I only found the Nvidia branded model, retails around 599.99 USD and the PNY for 549.99, I sometimes see an EVGA for 549.99 but when investigating further i see the EVGA is actually NOT a reference model (they tend to show pics of the Nvidia model)
I plan on upgrading soon to get rid of this 760 I have, and sadly will likely go through Best Buy to get it, limiting purchase options (I have over 150 in store credit already).
9 REPLIES 9

Ravenholme
Level 7
Bestbuy seems to only carry Zotac which all of them are not to reference spec. like you've said i have personally only seen PNY & EVGA as reference spec (size requirements as 10.5" x 4.376") reference types will push the heat out the back like most say. I know some out there install the EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX2.0, it has 2 large fans that push the heat off the card and inward into the G20 but i'm curious if the system's passive heat dissipation will properly vent it out. I haven't heard anyone that has installed the later of the listed models. but i'm curious. I've been holding out as my 760 seems to work fine. i have been looking at the 980s and that model in particular. i'm curious if the Asus 970 turbo would be a worthy challenger to the EVGA 980 SC ACX 2

Korth
Level 14
GTX 980
reference PCB
(PG401, GM204-400-A1)
reference cooler (silver/black NVTTM-based, black backplate)
reference specs

NVidia OEM GTX 980 (discontinued)
ASUS GTX980-4GD5
ELSA GD980-4GERX
- Japan
EVGA GTX 980 04G-P4-1980-KR (discontinued?), EVGA GTX 980 04G-P4-2980-KR (new electrical components, new VBIOS, less coil whine)
Gainward GTX 980 - Europe/Asia
Galax GTX 980 NVTTM
- Europe/USA
Gigabyte GV-N980D5-4GD-B
Inno3D N980-1DDN-M5DN - China
Leadtek WinFast GTX 980 - China
Palit GTX 980 - UK
PNY GTX 980

MSI GTX-980-4GD5
Zotac ZT90201-10P
(standard "GTX 980" logo)

reference PCB
other cooler and/or other specs -

EVGA GTX 980 04G-P4-2981-KR (ACX2.0)
Galax GTX 980 Black (glassy black stylized NVTTM, 11.06" long) - Europe/USA
MSI GTX-980-4GD5-V1 (angular black stylized NVTTM)
Point of View VGA-980-A1-4096 (AXC2.0 variant, I think) - Europe
Zotac ZT90205-10P ("Zotac" logo, sleeker NVTTM, 1139/1240MHz clock)

and one last manufacturer exists -
Colorful iGame (not listed above because they only make non-reference designs) - China
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Bodycount69
Level 9
I got this one and installed in in my G20 works great 🙂

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133563&_ga=1.11049524.1431727736.1424797764
Asus ROG PG348Q Black 34" 3440 x 1440, 100Hz Curved IPS G-Sync 21:9 WQHD Gaming Monitor
2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition in SLI

Korth
Level 14
A lot of users report good overclocks with those PNY GTX 980 cards .
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Vlada011
Level 10
For me is very stupid to pay around 550-600$ for reference clock when 20$ more is 120-130MHz higher clock.
Even on same reference card with same cooler. Why you need constantly to check AB or Precision and clock...
Example reference clock is 1126MHz, 20$ more is 1241MHz, that's 1000 Graphics Points more, but that's not all,
you can use BIOS from other card with same PCB only other cooler ACX 2.0 with 1266MHz or even BIOS from same reference PCB only Hybrid AIO Cooler 1291MHz...if your chip can resist.
At the end that's 1291-1126MHz=165... Your default clock is +165 GPU Offset, but card is still same...reference.
But result in 3DMarks completely something else than reference and only what you need to do is to set fan profile, not clock.
You can change memory clock with BIOS Tweaker for 100-150MHz if you want...just for little OC.

Korth
Level 14
The primary advantage of lower-cost reference cards is their potential bang-for-the-buck overclocking gains ("efficiency", some people would say).

A vendor like PNY makes only one (reference) GTX 980 card, no other GTX 980 cards. Many people speculate that your odds of winning the silicon lottery with a card like this from a manufacturer like this are increased because the manufacturer hasn't already culled out the best/fastest GPU ASICs (and GDDR5) to use in their higher-tiered (and more costly) products. They use every single GPU part they can get in the same product, and even if these are already binned by TSMC/NVidia, chances are that a number of better ones slipped through.

A second advantage with these reference cards is the NVTTM cooler. It was basically designed for a 250W card but is mounted on a 165W card. This provides a lot of spare overclocking headroom, even if the chips happen to be lemons. Non-reference "improved" air coolers are, ugly truth be told, sometimes inferior and often roughly equivalent to the (server-based) mighty NVTTM, only a few are actually superior - many card makers use their own custom coolers to market their brand identity and cut production costs.

My two EVGA-overclocked 1391MHz GTX 980 cards were CDN$875 each (after including backplates), and I am hardly able to run their clocks any higher than about 1450MHz - while I see a fair number of people clocking their "stupid" $625 reference cards at 1.5GHz and beyond. A price difference which could almost buy a third reference card in itself - and I strongly suspect 3-SLI at plain reference speeds (ignoring overclocks entirely) will still surpass 2-SLI at 15%-over-reference speeds in any real-world or benchmark metric.

[/Korth]

edmak1804
Level 7
@Korth, Thanks for the wealth of information buddy! I think Ill go with the PNY 980 GTX model because Best Buy appears to have them in stock again and they are priced at 549.99, basically a 50-70 dollar savings. I likely wont be overclocking anytime soon because the G20AJ case is so slim im still worried about overheating issues even if the fans exhaust out the back of the unit. I almost wish there was a third party 'base' for this unit with an additional fan to run along the bottom to keep pushing air up (imagine how some of the Xbox 360 external fans worked)

Korth
Level 14
The reference NVTTM cooler expels almost all of the card's heat outside the chassis, through the air cutouts. Probably the best choice for your crowdy small form factor chassis.

"Improved" coolers typically blast air all over the card to cool the card itself at all costs - some is exhausted out of the chassis, some is blown off the edges of the card into the rest of the chassis, where it can recirculate and doesn't help to cool anything else on the motherboard. Gigabyte's hard-to-find-small-print specifically states that you should install a rear-exhaust fan above the GPU to exhaust heat, and that you should install ducted airflow or other cooling upgrades if you intend to run multiple GPU cards - they even bravely admit that their mighty trademarked patented WindForce fans and cooler are only designed to cool a single GPU card in a single GPU system - I think a lot more manufacturers should indicate this as well.

[/Korth]

hotcider
Level 7
Is there an admin that can sticky important threads like this?