cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to build, need advice.

bhaag3
Level 7
New to this forum.. computer novice. looking to build a new gaming rig. I bought the Crosshair V formula Z MB, AMD 9370 CPU, and corsair dominator CMD16Gx3M2A1866C10 ram.. anyone have this combo and is it stable? also bought AMD radeon 240 g SSD and WD Black 1 TB HD.

Which OS is better for this use.. the Windows 7 pro or Windows 8?

Any and all help is appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

elesde
Level 10
Looks good so far, with good cooling and a decent PSU there should be no problems.

Win 8 is usually a bit better in terms of performance when it comes to the FX line of CPUs. The "new" UI does take some time getting used to imo.

Antronman
Level 10
I would go for Windows 7.

You'll still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 on release, so I don't see a reason for why you'd opt to use a ridiculously streamlined OS, that ended up being difficult to use 😛

You can get Windows 8.1 and install classicshell, if Dx 11.2 matters to you, amongst a few other features.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

NemesisChild
Level 12
Definitely 8.1 if you're going to run multi-threaded apps and games.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Korth
Level 14
I prefer Win7 as well. Less bloat, more stability. And maybe a little more performance in games (which is all I use Windows for anyways).

But Win7 is already End Of Life - no more new updates (aside from the most dire new security vulnerabilities maybe being fixed), no more official support. It's also getting hard to find (and a little more expensive) on store shelves, once they sell their existing stock it's gone.

So you might be forced to use Win8.x anyhow. Not so bad, really, since it supports a few newer technologies (including newer DirectX capabilities) which older Win7 lacks.

Win10 is just around the corner. Most people using the OS beta (aka Windows Technical Preview) seem happy with it. Apparently the less popular Win8 GUI elements/styling can be deactivated for those who prefer Win7's more sedate functionality.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Antronman
Level 10
Actually, the W8 Metro has been entirely removed.

Graphic is still not like Aero Glass, and more like the W8 graphic, but the metro is very similar to the W7 Metro, except with a small subcategory that is similar to the complete W8 Metro, but designed in a more XP *all programs* way. Not sure how to describe it 😛

All programs functions the same way as the W7 Metro.

It's basically the modern features of W8, but it runs better, looks better, and is a helluva lot more useable.

bhaag3
Level 7
Thanks for all the information. was worried about MB and RAM compatibility

Antronman
Level 10
Yeah, don't worry. It's going to work fine.

Enjoy the new toys :cool: