cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amd system keeps freezing

kautkadnekad
Level 7
Hi guys I have googles for couple of days to find the solution for this problem, but no luck this far. I have freshly built system but it keeps randomly freezing (freezes happen from 30min in use to 5 hours also freezes happen anywhere from playing games or just browsing internet) and mouse/keyboard gets stuck nothing works only reset button. (viruses are not likely because there is fresh win 8.1, drivers, steam, battle.net and thats it, overheating are unlikely because system is quit cool, cpu under load ¬45 C and video card 60-65 C) also I can upload events viewer log file if its necessary. Also I have try'd to take out one ram stick and see if it helps, but it froze so I swaped ram but well again it froze. Maybe I have to config my mb? Thanks.

AMD fx-9590
asus crosshair v formula z
msi radeon r9 290x twin frozr
samsung evo 850 ssd
psu evga 1000w platinum
trident x 24000mhz 2x8gb

also, here are 2 pics of voltages:

http://i.imgur.com/Q3g43zq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iPzFx5W.jpg

UPDATE: I have turned XMP profile on lets see if it helps.
9 REPLIES 9

elesde
Level 10
Are you running the RAM at 2400 MHz? If so the first thing I would try is to lower the frequency and see if it helps.
From what I've gathered the FX CPUs usually like more voltage on CPU/NB when running high RAM speeds and maybe even an overclock on the NB itself so that it's running on a higher frequency than the RAM.

From the beggining I was using 2400MHz but after first freeze I changed to 1600MHz but freezes kept happening, however I didint use XMP profile, now I turned on XMP 2400MHz profile and for few hours system is running smooth. I really hope this is the case, I will post updates.

kautkadnekad
Level 7
Nope system froze with XMP profile

kautkadnekad
Level 7
UPDATE: I changed RAM speed to 1866MHz and set the voltage to 1.5V
UPDATE2: Changed back RAM speed to XMP profile 2400MHz and voltage to 1.65V, disabled C1e and C6

chris635
Level 7
You are having the same problems that a lot of people have. Try this.

In the bios click the advanced tab.
Click CPU Configuration
Disable everything but cool n quite (clocks down your cpu speed and voltage while not under load). Leave APM master mode alone (for now). Back out back to advanced tab.

Click North Bridge Configuration
Click Memory Configuration
Click ECC mode (it will be be set to enabled) and disable it. This is for error correction ram and most people don't even know to buy this type of ram as it is mostly for servers and work stations.

Now for the memory timings (if you already know what they are, stay in the bios, if not save and exit then boot into windows). If you don't know what they are (sometimes they are on the packaging and they are on the ram itself). If you don't have the packaging, the easier way is to download and run HwInfo64 (Hardware Info 64). Run the summary on it and it will give your ram timing's for the speed you are running and voltage required. Got that wrote down? Good. Get back to the bios.

In Extreme Tweaker go down to DRAM Timing Control
Primary timings. This is where you enter your timings. They will all be on auto, it's a lot but don't worry. We are only concerned with the first four (the four you wrote down or the four on your ram). Manually enter those numbers in the order they are listed. Back out to the Extreme Tweaker menu.

Go down to DRAM voltage and manually enter the voltage your ram is specified to run at depending on speeds (this was part of the information HwInfo64 will give you that hopefully you wrote down). Usually it is somewhere between 1.5 and 1.65 volts.

Exit, save and reboot into windows, then check your system. Hopefully this will start getting get us close for you.

Note: Every menu I listed here is in your manual, or look here.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...e-Overclocking
Chris...Have a nice day.

heldt139
Level 7
Does it say anything about "display driver stopped working? If yes, try changing your GPU from PCi 3 to PCi 2 slot. This reduced hardcrashes on my system to soft ones. If not, bbest of luck!

kautkadnekad
Level 7
UPDATE: After disabling C1 and C6 states (enable Cool n Quiet) system is stable no crash in 48H. Aswell as Chris suggested I disabled EEC mode.

kautkadnekad wrote:
UPDATE: After disabling C1 and C6 states (enable Cool n Quiet) system is stable no crash in 48H. Aswell as Chris suggested I disabled EEC mode.

Glad to hear it worked!
Chris...Have a nice day.

elesde
Level 10
So is this a case of another FX 9590 that is not stable on the CVFZ at max turbo?
Have you tried running it with a little more CPU voltage say + offset 0.0125 or 0.025?