cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Impact not booting

JonU
Level 7
So here is the problem. When I hit the onboard power button to start the computer it refuses to start. It starts to boot but then then it stops. The VGA LED. Next to the 24 pin connector is on and it displays the Q code 62,which is installation of the PCH runtime services. Any thoughts on what to do? I tried resetting the bios from the rear panel with no success. I also tried removing my video card (which wasn't plugged in to power), again no success was had. All the components have been tested previously and they all worked. This is my first time trying to start it since i built a water cooling loop. I've had the loop installed since Friday evening and I had just the pump running from Friday night until Sunday night. It isn't leaking so i don't think water got on anything. Anyways, besides the Impact motherboard i have a 4790k with a bitspower full coverage waterblock, and i'm using a ekwb pump. I have noted that while the fans are turning on, the pump doesn't start up at all despite the fact i haven't changed how it is connected. I have the four pin connector plugged into the CPU fan and it's Molex connector plugged into the PSU. Any help would he very appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152
Hello JonU

I believe the code you are seeing is actually b2 which is a gpu related issue.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello JonU

I believe the code you are seeing is actually b2 which is a gpu related issue.

According to the manual, b2 is a legacy ROM option. I'll have to some more trouble shooting when i get back home. I need to do as much as i can w/o pulling components. I can remove the GPU and hold it while testing to see if the computer boots. I don't see how the GPU is an issue though when it hasn't been powered up yet. I was trying to boot to the bios in order to change the boot options so I can use my m.2 drive.

Nate152
If you have a gpu installed in your pc make sure you have the pcie power cables connected to it.

Nate152 wrote:
If you have a gpu installed in your pc make sure you have the pcie power cables connected to it.

I thought about that and tried pulling the gpu (since i forgot the power cable for it at my friend's house), but it still spits out the same error code. I will try to grab a pic and post it upupA picture might be clearer than what i'm writing.

Ok, pulled the GPU again and this time i got to bios. I really need that pcie power cable so i can reattach the gpu. I don't like having it just chilling in the case like it is currently. One thing i noticed. While in the bios with onboard graphics, the screen will flash. After it flashes off and back on, it quits responding. The Q code displayed is 99, which is anormal code if I'm not mistaken.

Nate152
No, code 99 is a gpu related error too.

You want to see code A0 then you know youw pc is working properly.

JonU
Level 7
messed around some more. I was able to get in the bios and set it for optimized defaults. When it restarted, i got the error code of 00, which according to the manual isn't used. I'm wondering if once i have windows installed whether or not it will go to A0. I won't be able to get the pci power and sata power cable until tomorrow morning. So I'm stuck until tomorrow.

Nate152
Code 00 is not a good sign and is usually a psu, cpu or motherboard problem.

I'm not sure what might have happened, double check all your power connections.

Try clearing the cmos again with the button on the back your pc, if this doesn't help try reseating the cpu and when mounting your cooler again don't over tighten it.

Is this a brand new build or was it working prior to today?

JonU
Level 7
Both the board and the CPU have both been tested and I know they were working. The GPU hasn't been checked yet, but I still need to get the power cables. I'll do what you suggested once I get home tomorrow evening. Thanks for all the help Nate. If I continue having problems, I'll get a video of what is going on. I should add that while all this is going on, the pump is running, and all the fans are spinning.

Also found this on tomshardware from Raja@Asus: Code 00 is as you describe - CPU cannot be detected. Can also happen if EPS 12V cable is not plugged in or PSU issue.

For USB BIOS flashback to work, the USB flash drive MUST be FAT32 formatted with the UEFI file renamed accordingly for the motherboard (otherwise it won't work).

~Raja

I'm going to double check all my power connectors and reset the CMOS tomorrow.