cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

m.2 question

kamon211
Level 7
Hi, I have the x99 R5E, 5960X,
I've been wanting to get an ssd forever, still using mechanical drives.

So I read some reviews and pre ordered the Intel 750 2.5 SSD.
So, I'm guessing the drive won't have everything I need to connect it to the m.2 plug?
I saw on you tube JJ from asus says it can connect to the m.2 using the hyper drive adapter?

Where can I get this adapter? Did the R5E come with it?
Should I cancel and wait for the tech to mature abit?
22 REPLIES 22

kamon211
Level 7
I would have preferred to keep the pcie slots empty for a cleaner look, I hate clutter, but the m.2 method seems like a dead end without the adapter piece. .
Why would there not be an SFF to m.2 cable without the need for an extra adapter???

kamon211 wrote:
I would have preferred to keep the pcie slots empty for a cleaner look, I hate clutter, but the m.2 method seems like a dead end without the adapter piece. .
Why would there not be an SFF to m.2 cable without the need for an extra adapter???

Due to the placement of the M.2 socket on the R5E, using the ASUS Hyper Kit might obstruct the GPU in the first PCIe lane. You should take a look into that first if you're planning to get the 2.5" model.

It may block the first pcie slot?
I have an asus 290x with water cooling block, it's a long card and I don't want it blocks.
I think I'm going to cancel it, it would have been nice, but I can do without it I guess.

Shame, the 750 ssd had some beastly specs, fastest ssd I've seen going by reviews

Saltgrass
Level 13
Could you be more specific about the drive model you are thinking about?

The M.2 PCIe version, not the SATA version, will go in the M.2 slot or perhaps on a adapter card to go into a PCIe slot.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

kamon211
Level 7
It may block the first pcie slot?
I have an asus 290x with water cooling block, it's a long card and I don't want it blocks.
I think I'm going to cancel it, it would have been nice, but I can do without it I guess.

Shame, the 750 ssd had some beastly specs, fastest ssd I've seen going by reviews

Chino
Level 15
Depending on how wide your 290X with its cooling block, the adapter may or may not obstruct your GPU. Generally we recommend users to grab the PCIe model. 😛

vmanuelgm
Level 11
Hi, Chino.

I have a pair of Titan X with their blocks and backplates on the RVE.

Tomorrow is coming a sm951 256 GB to install on the m.2 socket.

Any clearance problems???

Thanks in advance.
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED

vmanuelgm wrote:
Hi, Chino.

I have a pair of Titan X with their blocks and backplates on the RVE.

Tomorrow is coming a sm951 256 GB to install on the m.2 socket.

Any clearance problems???

Thanks in advance.

None whatsoever.

M.2 PCIe SSDs will work just fine. The space problem only arises when you want to use the ASUS Hyper Kit like the one below.