cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to upgrade G20AJ, Now there's no power...

RamyK66
Level 7
I recently tried upgrading my G20AJ compact gaming desktop, from a 760 to a 980. I seem to have done everything right , but when I went to plug in the power and to test it ( keep in my I did not reassemble the casing ) there was no power. It did not boot up. Has this happened to anyone else? I did not unplug anything else besides the graphics card and the LED plugs for the lighting effects.. Could something have come loose. What should I check to make sure there is power running to the PC? please any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm stuck and don't know what to do.
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello Ramyk66

I remember you talking about upgrading your gpu, do you have the proper pcie cables and are they connected?

RamyK66
Level 7
yes I have a regular 6-pin for the extra power input. I had it connect. regardless the power isnt working at all. With everything connected, with the graphics card not connected, even with the old graphics card put back into place. Theres no power going to the PC, it simply wont boot-up. Im very confused because i did not disconnect anything else jut the graphics card.

Nate152
Depending on the 980 you have you will need either two 6 pin pcie power cables or one 6 pin and one 8 pin.

RamyK66
Level 7
well at this point the PC will not start up regardless of which GPU is installed, could you shed come light on that, or do you not know why this might have happened?

PS: I was surprised to hear from ASUS Tech Support that they wanted me to send it in to be looked at by there staff, even after I told them the situation. That I tried installing a new GPU (which obviously requires me to open the computer). The guy I was speaking to told me that my warranty had not yet expired and that I could send it to them to be checked out, however I was under the impression that once I opened the computer that my warranty was voided. He did not mention that at all, he didn't say anything pertaining to that matter. He just gave me an RMA number sent me an E-mail with instructions and upon request he even sent me a pre-paid shipping label. I didn't want to say anything about that and ruin any chance I had of them fixing it for me, so maybe I got away with that or maybe the guy just didn't know. Any how I hope they don't realize and send it back without fixing it.

Nate152
Hmmm

If it's not starting with the gtx 760 there is a problem somewhere and I'm not sure what it could be.

I see you can upgrade your pc with a gtx 980.

You might want to send it to them since it's still under warranty.

http://www.pcmarket.com.au/blog/upgrading-gpu-asus-rog-g20aj-gaming-desktop-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-v...

Antronman
Level 10
Try starting it with the onboard graphics.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

RamyK66
Level 7
Ok this will be round 2 for me, I have a brand new G20 and I want to do it right this time. I think I might have messed up with the power connecters. So there intially is an 8-pin power connector running to the GPU from the motherboard. Now when I installed the GTX I left the 8-pin connectd to the motherboard and the other end I took off the 2 end pin to make it a 6-pin so that it could go into the GTX980. and also added anoher 6-pin to 6-pin power connecter from the mother board to GPU.

So to make it simple the motherboard has an 8-pin power connector slot and a 6-pin power connecter slot right next to each other. When I opened the computer there was only the 8-pin running from the motherboard to the GPU ( the GTX780). The GTX 980 requires 2 6-pin power connectors. So what I did was I left the 8-pin connected to the motherboard and then the other side of that 8-pin I made a 6-pin and inserted it into the GPU along with another 6-pin to 6-pin.

Should I have made it a 6-pin from both ends running from the motherboard to the GPU? Did I possibly fry something? I heard these power connectors can be tricky.