Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurV View Post
    I had to disable MSAA, Grass quality to Very High and High Resolution shadows (advanced graphics) - off, to enjoy the game.
    FPS are 40-60 at these settings.

BUT I've noticed that the game rarely utilizes 100% of GPU, it's about 60-80% which makes me thinking that this game is really CPU demanding. I'll try to overclock CPU later because I think it's bottleneck in this game (DH72X has a i7 4860HQ). But I've already tried to overclock the GPU to 1207Mhz-core/5346Mhz-memory and nothing really changed in terms of FPS. GPU temperature is 81C after few ours of gaming.

This is my video test of GTA 5 performance on G751JY-DH72X at 1080p60:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2T98JyPKEo
    Starting from max settings and tweaking down to get enjoyable experience. As you see it cannot handle this game at max settings - no way.
    There is no CPU bottleneck in G751JY period.My 980M is 99% usage all the time and 4710 is barely 40,60% in GTA5.Try with vsync off.When I had it on my gpu usage was 60/70%.
    Now I run the game all maxed except msaa 2x txaa and grass to very high,and the game is smooth as butter ,60 fps with rare dips to 45.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by serbicu View Post
    There is no CPU bottleneck in G751JY period.My 980M is 99% usage all the time and 4710 is barely 40,60% in GTA5.Try with vsync off.When I had it on my gpu usage was 60/70%.
    Now I run the game all maxed except msaa 2x txaa and grass to very high,and the game is smooth as butter ,60 fps with rare dips to 45.
    serbicu, now that you have the settings tuned for 60fps, try enabling vsync again - or otherwise limit fps to 60 with Nvidia game setting or Nvidia Inspector(?)

The win with vsync if it works right in the game, or limiting fps to refresh rate of the monitor is you aren't wasting GPU load on frames that aren't helping visuals.

Your GPU shouldn't be running at 100% all the time; I mean it can, but you should try to tune settings for great visuals with less than 100% GPU load - at 100% GPU load you will starve performance at that limit often. If there is no headroom left, dropped frames and other nasties can show up.

The next step in tuning is to get the GPU utilization down below 100% to some steady state around 95% or under.

Or not

As long as the game is running well for you, wtf, enjoy it

Reading some more, if you have refresh at 100hz you need to sync at 100fps, maybe try setting the refresh back to 60hz before trying vsync or limiting fps to 60.

Running game at vsync with monitor at 60hz refresh reduces GPU usage as you found, but then running refresh at 100hz with vsync at 60hz might have been the problem you were seeing.

Seeing 60-70% GPU utilization in GTA V running at 60hz/fps is awesome

Grand Theft Auto V - vsync 59hz problem
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/27159...3709833111147/

Boxis reported running ok, but then after a while getting micro-stutters - that is the kind of thing you see from running the CPU/GPU at 100% for extended times...
    Last edited by hmscott; 04-24-2015 at 08:32 AM.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the replies...

Good points and it seems to run fine now, It's not my first time doing this owning 3rd ROG laptop already, I have my Acronis images from every drive, I have backtracker recovery on USB and i still have the recovery partition hidden in my original HDD .. So I'm covered if this doesn't work out

I think now I have the newest drivers and the last OS was actually cloned to SSD so maybe something went wrong there at some point, but gta was the first game I found some problems since it's so demanding.. Maybe it was just time for a reset re-format..

Update:

I solved my problem I read from another forum about this guy solving the RR_GFx_d3d_init crash with installing the game again.. Well I couldn't do that ,but instead I deleted some of they key files like ten of them from the steam folder and let steam download them again . I haven't had crashes since so it's ok for now :P

Now I have another issue tho which is the LOD box around the character on the game..

the game renders only one meter ahead when walking and rest of they textures are blurry ,especially with shadows you can see it clearly. I still haven't found a fix for this.. It's really annoying

I'm pretty (90 %) sure that this box wasn't there before I re-installed my OS, but I might be wrong also..

here's picture of what I mean

http://i.imgur.com/CNROd6T.jpg

As you can see the shadow behind the character is blurry from the upper part and clear near the player. It's really clear when the image moves.. for some the "box" even bugs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVV9vfQCCxQ

here's a video of it ,,, are you experiencing this and am I just dumb and haven't realized it before ?

this "bug" also causes texture popping in the distance... something I didn't see before the Re-format,, maybe it's the Nvidia driver ?
    Last edited by qwerty25; 04-24-2015 at 11:23 AM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    serbicu, now that you have the settings tuned for 60fps, try enabling vsync again - or otherwise limit fps to 60 with Nvidia game setting or Nvidia Inspector(?)

The win with vsync if it works right in the game, or limiting fps to refresh rate of the monitor is you aren't wasting GPU load on frames that aren't helping visuals.

Your GPU shouldn't be running at 100% all the time; I mean it can, but you should try to tune settings for great visuals with less than 100% GPU load - at 100% GPU load you will starve performance at that limit often. If there is no headroom left, dropped frames and other nasties can show up.

The next step in tuning is to get the GPU utilization down below 100% to some steady state around 95% or under.

Or not

As long as the game is running well for you, wtf, enjoy it

Reading some more, if you have refresh at 100hz you need to sync at 100fps, maybe try setting the refresh back to 60hz before trying vsync or limiting fps to 60.

Running game at vsync with monitor at 60hz refresh reduces GPU usage as you found, but then running refresh at 100hz with vsync at 60hz might have been the problem you were seeing.

Seeing 60-70% GPU utilization in GTA V running at 60hz/fps is awesome

Grand Theft Auto V - vsync 59hz problem
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/27159...3709833111147/

Boxis reported running ok, but then after a while getting micro-stutters - that is the kind of thing you see from running the CPU/GPU at 100% for extended times...
    I know all the above.I have the screen at 100HZ,and my fps goes above 60 many times,and don't need&want to limit my fps(never did that..ever).It's not a problem for me that my GPU is utilized 100%.

If I had over 100FPS than I'll need that vsync.

On the other hand in BF4 32/48multiplayer maps i run with vsync on as I'm allways above 100FPS.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I overclocked the i7 4710HQ so that all cores run at 3,5gHz and didn't really see a performance increase,
    when overclocking the GPU I did notice an increase of about 10-20fps, but there were some visual artifacts so i turned it off again.
    Running everything on very high, MSAAx2, TXAA on, reflection MSAAx2, get around 65-80 fps most of the times, drops rarely to 45fps when lot of vegetation.
    running on G751JY

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Currently playing at these settings without single drop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPBKGoG8KQ
    Tried playing with msaa, also with everything other maxed, but I seriously dont like these 40-50fps during gameplay, it seems so laggy compared to 60fps.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Hotdog View Post
    I overclocked the i7 4710HQ so that all cores run at 3,5gHz and didn't really see a performance increase,
    when overclocking the GPU I did notice an increase of about 10-20fps, but there were some visual artifacts so i turned it off again.
    Running everything on very high, MSAAx2, TXAA on, reflection MSAAx2, get around 65-80 fps most of the times, drops rarely to 45fps when lot of vegetation.
    running on G751JY
    Evil Hotdog, when OC'ing you want to OC to the point where there isn't artifacting.

It isn't just the display driver crash you are trying to tune memory speed for, it is the visible artifacts.

Try OC'ing but with the memory clock down about 100mhz from where it was when you tried last, drop another 100mhz if that is still a problem, bump up 50mhz if it is ok, find the sweet spot so you can get the benefits of OC'ing without the visible artifacts..

That way you can get more FPS with +135 GPU and +XXX GPU memory with no visible artifacts.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    Evil Hotdog, when OC'ing you want to OC to the point where there isn't artifacting.

It isn't just the display driver crash you are trying to tune memory speed for, it is the visible artifacts.

Try OC'ing but with the memory clock down about 100mhz from where it was when you tried last, drop another 100mhz if that is still a problem, bump up 50mhz if it is ok, find the sweet spot so you can get the benefits of OC'ing without the visible artifacts..

That way you can get more FPS with +135 GPU and +XXX GPU memory with no visible artifacts.
    I'm still yet to understand what is the stable OC for the g751jy? for the two clocks? can someone share their configs? And if they use MSI or GPU tweak asus?

New ROGer Array

I was getting around 80FPS at high/very high on most settings, then it instantly dropped to 31. I also noticed that my charger/ac adapter was VERY VERY hot.

I've changed all settings to normal since. Please be careful if you've gotten this problem too. Check your temps, etc. (I have the G751JT)

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Boxis View Post
    Currently playing at these settings without single drop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPBKGoG8KQ
    Tried playing with msaa, also with everything other maxed, but I seriously dont like these 40-50fps during gameplay, it seems so laggy compared to 60fps.

Wow!! I'm super impressed with that.. For some reason I can't get to the same performance.. how did you do that? did you do any tweaks or updates ?

Also I'm loving your temps my temps of CPU is like +90 C , häve you done any tweaks on that part?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast