ROG Member Array

PCIEx16 3D crash problem , PCIEx8 3D all Ok

Hello

Intel I7-4790K
    Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Gigabyte GTX 960 Windforce 2x oc
    Power Corsair CS750M
    G-skil 8 Gbs ram (2x4Gbs)

My new pc has a problem , since it was build , it works fine using windows 7 (folders , pictures..all) and on the internet and watching videos ...
    But running a more demanding 3d game or benchmark the nvidia driver crash (nvidia Display driver stopped responding and has recovered) after some seconds ,
    for example on Valley Benchmark 1.0 ,Heaven Benchmark 4.0 ,3DMark ,3DMark 11 and others .

Did many tests without luck :
    Installed all nvidia drivers (using Display Driver Uninstaller before install the new drivers) .
    Installed chipset update, sound update, Intel(R) Management Engine Interface update (<<this is needed???) , AMDA00_Win7-8-8-1_V1010 something about USB's , so that all the device manager can be without the yellow interrogation symbols "?"
    Did CPU stress test with IntelBurnTest 2.54 , all ok .
    Did a memory test with memtest86+-4.20 , 3 pass's , all ok .
    Did 3 motherboard bios updates .
    Tried 2 screens , 1 dvi-i to dvi-i , 1 dvi-d to hdmi
    Tried hdmi to hdmi but i get a very red screen and a look of just 256 colors in windows , i will talk about this later<<<<<
    Tried many different settings in the bios , UEFI .
    And alot more things that i don't remember now...

After alot of tests , changes , updates :
    i have found that this problem happens with the card installed in the PCIEx16 slot ,
    But works ok if its in the PCIEx8 slot .
    In the PCIEx8 works very well , theres no nvidia driver crashs , theres good fps on Valley and heaven (the tests i use more) .

After all this , whats the problem ?
    •Motherboard PCIEx16 slot Faulty ?
    •CPU is Faulty ?
    (i read somewhere that the CPU controls the PCIEx16 lane . About the x8 lane ,the CPU doesn't control the PCIEx8 lane or it does ? )
    •Video Card is Faulty ?
    Is possible that a video card it self works ok in the PCIEx8 slot but dont work in the PCIEx16 slot ? (because its somehow damaged using x16 "system" ? )
    •Other thing ?

I tested a old card(7900GS) in the PCIEx16 slot and works without crashs but that card is not so demanding as a GTX 960 tho
    (The 7900GS i tried it in the Valley test but the fps were very low , but the driver didn't crashed. I need try it again but in the game LFS for example to see if crashs or not)

Any other tests i should do ?
    What you guys think about this?

Thanks
    Last edited by Rart; 04-17-2015 at 12:05 AM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Margus PC Specs
    Margus PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus hero VII
    Processor4790K
    Memory (part number)CMD16GXM2A2400C10
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4g
    Sound CardSB Recon 3D
    MonitorBENQ 2411Z
    Storage #1samsung 850 evo
    CPU CoolerLIQMAX 2 240
    Power SupplySeasonic X Platinum 1050w
    OS Windows 10 HOME

Witch OS you use? Is latest chipset drivers installed 26 from intel site. Is memory mixed sticks eg differnt or identical? Did you oveclocked cpu?
    Its canbe faulty videocard i ask the old card runs 16x? check videocard power cable plug maybe its seat too soft.

ROG Member Array

I use Windows 7 ultimate X64 , I also did other new W7 installation in other hard drive but the problem still happens .
    The chipset driver that i installed is from the Asus Maximus Ranger site Version 10.0.20 Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.20 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) Intel_Chipset_Win7-8-8-1_V10020.zip
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAX...Desk_Download/
    I was looking for a chipset driver in the intel site but could not found any for maximus ranger Z97 intel chipset .
    Can you post the link ?

I found there this Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) Chipset_10.0.26_Public.zip, installed it but nothing happened tho .
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...pdate-Utility-
    Installed also this Intel® Driver Update Utility , it search automatically or manually for drivers , but was empty , no drivers found .
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

Memory is identical , bought 2 sticks in the same pack , Gskill .
    I tried with just 1 stick of ram but the problem happens anyway , tried bout one by one .

I didn't overclocked the CPU , i also loaded the best default setting (or how its called..) in the bios and saved .
    Right now the only settings that i have changed in the bios are: changed the pciex16 and x8 to gen 3.0 and i think thats all.
    I tried gen 1 and gen 2 but still crashs the driver .

About the old card 7900gs , i installed it today again in the pciex16 and x8 and the result is , it has the same behavior in bout slots .
    Running just the Valley test , the driver doesn't crash but the fps are very low , around 3 or 4 fps.
    Running the game LFS with the AIs the driver don't crash and i get around 120fps , but if i alt+tab out of the game and run GPUZ pciexpress render test , the driver crashs multiple times , (LFS+GPUZ test running at same time = driver crash)
    The old card runs at x16 1.1 and x8 1.1, numbers from GPUZ doing the render test .
    The GTX 960 runs at x16 3.0 and x8 3.0 .
    I can't test with other new card , that would help but....

I tried with just one power cable (cable with a "Y" because this card has 2 connectors) and also with 2 cables , but driver crash anyway.
    The seat of the plug seems all ok , tight.

Was doing some tests with the Valley test , pciex8 = 70fps , with pciex16 crashs 5 times in the first minute and then freezs the pc or reboot .
    With the program Afterburner , i moved the Power Limit from 100%(default number) to 47 and it was possible do a full valley test with out crashs but the result was just 63fps and very unstable , sometimes crash others don't , if its more than 47% it crashs all the time .
    To test the Heaven benchmark its impossible use 47% , to don't crash need be around 40% or less , Heaven test is more "heavy".

With pciex16 the driver crash with just one 3d program . With pciex8 its possible put valley , heaven , game lfs , performance test 8 , all this programs running at the same time and no problem , 0 crashs .

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Rart; 04-18-2015 at 05:06 PM.

ROG Member Array

Case closed and Solved .
    Faulty Gigabyte GTX 960 Windforce 2x oc .

Got a new Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8G and works great at the pci-express x16 slot .

The difference is huge in terms of fps , in the Valley Benchmark at the start (first frames\scenario), the GTX 960 gets 64 fps max (both AA off) and the

GTX 1070 gets 170