cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing the video card

edmak1804
Level 7
So following other guides, I removed the back plastic (red) piece, i took off the three screws from the GPU bracket, I click the plastic socket holder into the 'down' position. How the hell do i get the itself card out now?
Every step by step guide makes it seem like it should just slide right out or pop up but it def. does not do that for me. Any ideas?

UPDATE: Sorry for the post in general, it just took a little hard tug up to slide out, feel stupid ow, Now im sitting here trying to figre out how to get the bracket off.
8 REPLIES 8

rene_canlas
Level 7
Remove the screws on the L-bracket to remove the video card

FInal Update: Ok holy hell i got it all together, that thing is just a little tight for my comfort, but oh well, i got it! I ended up grabing an NVIDIA brand GTX 970. I have a 45 day return policy with Best Buy, so I may wait a month, evaluate if I really need it, and possibly spend the ~130 dollar difference to get the 980 model (now that I know how to do all this.
My big regret right now is I did not take any photos or videos as I did this. What i may do is take someone elses (with credit given) and simply draw and write on the pics so people know exactly which screws are references, what direction pieces should be moving in, etc.

EDIT UPDATE: WTF, this plastic case is just NOT going back together properly Also i thought i had two extra screws (greatest fear) but they were from the plastic bracket from when I removed the smaller 760 card.

edmak1804 wrote:
FInal Update: Ok holy hell i got it all together, that thing is just a little tight for my comfort, but oh well, i got it! I ended up grabing an NVIDIA brand GTX 970. I have a 45 day return policy with Best Buy, so I may wait a month, evaluate if I really need it, and possibly spend the ~130 dollar difference to get the 980 model (now that I know how to do all this.
My big regret right now is I did not take any photos or videos as I did this. What i may do is take someone elses (with credit given) and simply draw and write on the pics so people know exactly which screws are references, what direction pieces should be moving in, etc.

EDIT UPDATE: WTF, this plastic case is just NOT going back together properly Also i thought i had two extra screws (greatest fear) but they were from the plastic bracket from when I removed the smaller 760 card.

If you had done a search you would of found the procedure that I wrote up, which includes pictures.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

I actually did use yours, and its probably the only reason it took me 2 hours instead of 3-4 haha! So a big thank you, but because my desktop was in pieces and my laptop was at my office, i was forced to use my phone to view, was pretty hard to see.. My big concern is I didn't realize there was an L shaped PCIE adapter, kinda worried me taking it out (was confused as to what is was when looking at the system before taking it apart). Then lining it up to put it back in was a maddening process in itself. And finally, that dammed plastic cover, it took two people to screw it in, one person to squeeze and hold the case on while the other to use the screw driver.

edmak1804 wrote:
I actually did use yours, and its probably the only reason it took me 2 hours instead of 3-4 haha! So a big thank you, but because my desktop was in pieces and my laptop was at my office, i was forced to use my phone to view, was pretty hard to see.. My big concern is I didn't realize there was an L shaped PCIE adapter, kinda worried me taking it out (was confused as to what is was when looking at the system before taking it apart). Then lining it up to put it back in was a maddening process in itself. And finally, that dammed plastic cover, it took two people to screw it in, one person to squeeze and hold the case on while the other to use the screw driver.

No problem, I'm glad it helped.

The cover is actually easy. You have to line it up w/the base and slide it back to lock it in. The reverse w/removing it, slide it towards the front, and lift it off.

I too had problems installing my video card as well, for the same reason. I think removing the system cooling fan assembly would help, allowing move room to get the video card plugged into the m/b PCIE slot.

Did you remove that grill on the cover which lies adjacent to the video card. It allows direct access to air for the video card's cooling fan? Some systems have it installed. My system did. I don't know why Asus even installed it. It restricts the air flow to the video card.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

edmak1804
Level 7
Alright thanks for the response and the PMs guys. Now im just trying to figure out how to put the graphics card back in.... its dam snug!

With the 8 pin connector being used as a six pin, is it ok to snip off the two clips i dont need?

edmak1804
Level 7
@GoHack, I did not, but thats a good tip, im likely going to to an exchange for the 980 model once its in stock at one of my local best buys (I have a friend who is a manager, ill see if they can request a product transfer for me so I can do it in one go) Once I take my system apart again for that, ill remove the piece in question, sounds like a great idea.

Ravenholme
Level 7
I have the US-009S model for the G20AJ and it doesn't have that grill in question installed, because of the GTX760 card. so it's wise to remove the clunky piece of swiss cheesed metal plate.

i almost bought a GTX 980 yesterday… though they didn't have any 980's with ref coolers. I also considered that there's nothing critical my 760 can't do right now that i need a 980 for. I'm going to wait for this fall and see what the req are for the fall release cards. I need a game that is only on PC that isn't on the XB1, that's really must play. that's going to be difficult as many games are on the XB1 lol.