cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS & NVMe Support Poll. VOTE NOW!!!

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Hey guys, this is an official poll(through PCDIY) to get ASUS to consider updating BIOSes for Z77/Z87 & X79 for full support of NVMe bootable drives. For example, the sexy and shiny new hotty Intel call "750" 😄 :cool:

They need at least 1000 votes to even get started talking about it. I'd love to see full support on my RIVF and i've voted for X79 of course 😄

GO GO GO GOOOOOOOOOO!!!

http://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/04/asus-nvme-support-poll-voice-your-opinion/
26 REPLIES 26

ubersonic
Level 7
This shouldn't even need a poll, the Rampage IV Black was only launched just over a year ago, most boards probably aren't even 12 months old yet, providing this update is the type of thing that's expected to be standard from a MB manufacturer on the level of ASUS :mad:.

ubersonic wrote:
This shouldn't even need a poll ... providing this update is the type of thing that's expected to be standard from a MB manufacturer on the level of ASUS :mad:.

I strongly agree with this.

ASUS shouldn't require arbitrary feedback of this sort to decide whether it's "worth" investing time and labour into implementing maximal hardware compatibility into their boards. They already know how many ASUS-branded Z97s they've sold (and are still selling) so they already know if over 1000 users are receptive to an NVMe compatibility upgrade. If they think people will want to buy NVMe motherboards then they shouldn't even need to ask. It's a fiercely competitive market where (whether they need it or not, whether they even understand it or not) customers will vote with their money and end up buying the motherboards which do it all. ASUS is renowned for maximizing capabilities and features on every motherboard they make, but I suspect a lot of customers loyal to the ASUS brand would shift their allegiance quickly enough if the day comes they feel ASUS failed to deliver on this implicit expectation. I half-jokingly suggest that a single vague "maybe we'll look into it" promise about NVMe development from Gigabyte or MSI would be worth more than a million votes on this ASUS poll page.

The entire notion of this poll seems a bit inane, anyhow. UEFI code modules are somewhat modular and interchangeable, once the core code works it shouldn't be too difficult to port it across multiple hardware platforms (ie, all ASUS-branded motherboards with latent NVMe capabilities) with necessary minor tweaking to address unique hardware quirks. Certainly, new features always require some "beta testing" in the wild because users will always have a wider array of (bizarre and troublesome) hardware configurations than ASUS could possibly access for in-house testing, and new features might require a firmware revision or three to get things just right.

Unless, due to UEFI capacity limits or somesuch, adding new functionality would come at the cost of losing old functionality. Even then, it would make sense to fork firmware versions or enable some sort of modular installation option so that users can select and prioritize which capabilities they consider most important.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Here's a quote from JJ
it is not just a question of pure updating their are co dependencies which can require support from Intel on the side of the driver and RST support for the chipset. This ties in with the chipset as well. While it may work 100% validation and interoprability requires a lot of different aspects. The goal of collecting this information is to see if there is enough demand to push for support on incorporating it into previous chipsets.

Just because the RIVBE is a year old, that doesn't mean jack. The reason they keep making new boards is to make us upgrade. They don't have to nor are they obligated to update BIOSes on older boards for NVMe compatibility. of course, if there is a high demand then they will do the best they can. It's not just the board makers, it's on Intel too.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Just because the RIVBE is a year old, that doesn't mean jack.

I think you misunderstood my point, I wasn't trying to say that the R4B should have official NVME support out of the box because it's not that old, that would be stupid. I was saying the R4B should be given NVME official support as a matter of course because it's still quite new.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
They don't have to nor are they obligated to update BIOSes on older boards for NVMe compatibility.

Let's put this in perspective, the R4B was significantly newer/younger when consumer NVME hit than the R4E was when IB-E CPU's hit, could you imagine any MB manufacturer announcing that they wouldn't be adding IB-E support because the boards were a year old?

Adding official support for NVME to the BIOS on a £300+ motherboard should not be something that needs a poll, it should be something that is simply done.

Nate152
HI Myk

I vote for asus to incorporate NVMe in their motherboards, if not in their present ones maybe the next generation as NVMe is faster than AHCI. If other motherboard manufacturers start supporting NVMe then asus will have to or they will be left in the dust and I don't see asus letting that happen.

Torelli
Level 7
@Nate152 They already are in the x99 and Z97 as far as I know.

I would like to give my perspective from being someone who has a RVIE and i7-4770k overclocked @ 4.7Ghz. I am on the border of upgrading to X99 almost entirely for the SUBSTANTIAL benefits of next generation storage options not available with my current setup.

Being a Sole Proprietor I don't have the finances to allow a separate workstation AND a personal gaming playground, so I resort to doing the best I can in one system. DDR4's substantial increase in total capacity (RAMDISKs and professional applications), M.2 PCI-E SSDs, and X99's 40 lanes of PCI-E would benefit me in ways that I can not very well explain through words. However, knowing the financial burden this would place on me, the decision has been hard to make. With the ability to incorporate NVMe SSDs within my current system, it would be just enough for me to continue to use a perfectly working build without having to upgrade sooner than I feel necessary.

I realize that such a situation is most likely not prominent among ROG customers, but then again, it is a situation in which NVMe support would mean the world to me.

I absolutely place my support for this and hope that ASUS can see that those who purchase their top of the line motherboards subconsciously expect such implementations.

EDIT: With a current poll combined result of around 1150 ROGer's I think it is evident that I am not alone.

~Regards
Torelli

Nate152
Thank you for pointing that out Torelli, I was not aware they included NVMe on the x99 and z97 boards but I'm glad to see it.

And MYK you know how it is as you said in a round about way ,they know how to get you. They add new features to new boards so if you want it you will pay for it, that's part of their game to get you to upgrade.

I'm still on the z77, I'm not a rich guy and can't afford to upgrade every generation. How I know it's time to upgrade is when a game comes out I want that my pc has trouble playing, lucky for me that hasn't happened yet.

There many of us who can't afford to always upgrade Torelli. i'm on a Rampage IV Formula, had a 3820 and just recently upgraded to a 3930K. I have 8GB of Corsair's XMS3 RAM, i'd love to get 32GB, but cash is very tight right now and I will be moving house, again, in a couple months...so no new purchases for me lol.

Nate: You should pay attention to the Front Page more often mate 😛