cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pg278q power LED and GSYNC question

Halpers
Level 7
So from my understanding the power LED is white when gsync isnt working and red when its working. For some reason mine stays red even in desktop mode without any games running. When I run a game I can see it flicker from red to white and back to red so GSYNC seems to be kicking in but I'm concerned that its always red. Can another swift owner confirm if this is normal behavior? Running latest drivers from NVIDIA 350.12 with 2x gtx 780ti in sli.
Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Volt
Level 9
The way it's suppose to work is;
RED = gsync is on
WHITE = gsync is off

Technical Questions
The monitor LED changes color – what do the different modes mean?
White – normal ‘fast’ gaming (up to 144Hz)
Green –Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D hardware plugged into the PC and 3D Vision enabled
Red – G-Sync enabled
Yellow – Ultra Low Motion Blur
Orange – Standby

http://rog.asus.com/339252014/gaming-monitors/faq-rog-swift-pg278q-27-inch-g-sync-gaming-monitor/

You can use the G-Sync pendulum demo to help troubleshoot the issue.

http://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

Perhaps it's just the LED light that is malfunctioning. By being on the wrong color when the different mode of the monitor is working? Although what's causing that to happen? Is it really the monitor, or maybe the video card, or maybe one of the cables, or?

Maybe try doing your setup with 1 video card to see if the LED light still behaves the same way, to help narrow down your issue. Or maybe try using a different cable?

Halpers
Level 7
It looks like it was driver related. I rolled it back to 347.88 and the LED now stays white unless I run a game that supports gsync, then it turns red. Curious to know if anyone with 350.12 drivers is running in to the same problem?

Halpers wrote:
It looks like it was driver related. I rolled it back to 347.88 and the LED now stays white unless I run a game that supports gsync, then it turns red. Curious to know if anyone with 350.12 drivers is running in to the same problem?

Yes it's a known issue with the latest driver released for GTA V, I just disable gsync in the Nv settings when I'm not using it.
4930k/Corsair H110i GT: Rampage IV Black ED motherboard: Gskill 4x4GB 2133MHZ 10 11 11 30 1T: CM V1200w Platinum psu: 2x EVGA GTX980Ti SC ACX++: SoundBlaster Zx: Logitech Z906 5.1-channel speaker system: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD: 1tb WD Black HD/512GB WD Black HD: Asus Swift 144HZ 3D 2560x1440 Display: QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 2560x1440 matte PLS display: Corsair Vengence K70 mechanical keyboard: Corsair M45 mouse: Thermaltake Core V71 full tower Case: Windows 10 64bit

aeliusg
Level 7
An Nvidia guy on NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160619485&postcount=592

G-Sync and the red LED on all the time is the way it's supposed to be now. If you want to use ULMB you have to manually switch G-sync off now.

Halpers
Level 7
Thanks for the info. If its by design then I guess its safe for me to switch back to the newest drivers.

Thanks!

I'm having the exact same issue with the light always being on even if I've selected off for certain games. I contacted ASUS and they suggested selecting the reset option on the monitor but when I told them about the driver mentioned on here they suggested try installing the latest available driver directly from the developer excluding that specific patch.

I'm slightly doubtful this will work but interested with what people think and I will update if it works or does not.

Volt
Level 9
I noticed that with the 350.12 drivers, that the RED light is always on. In windows, and in game. I've been playing a lot of Dragon Age Inqusition lately, and that seems to randomly crash once or twice per nightly gaming session. Don't know if it's related to that driver or not.

Yawoor
Level 7
and its another problem as vell too -
i got this red light always on too, but:
i have set my monitor refreshrate to 120 hz, cause im playing battlefield at 120 fps locked, now all the time my monitor is setting refreshrate to 144 hz, so i have all time starting new game press this fukin button 2 times to set my hz to 120 again ....

BUT SIMPLY SAYING:
drivers: 347.88-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql
are resolving this problem. they are latest drivers, you can have yr g-sync enabled, when it have be enabled.
all > 347.88 causing problems mentioned above.