Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i install UEFI windows?

krmk
Level 7
Hello,
I just got my new G751, and i am already loving it 🙂
Currently I am installing all the drivers, but when restarting i can see it sit idle for ~10 seconds, with a blank screen and text mode cursor.

Do i need to change the default BIOS settings to enable UEFI? I tried googling, but the information is sparse and really not too clear for someone only a bit tech-savvy 😛

I've seen the information in pinned windows install thread, stating i should choose UEFI:Matsitabd when starting installation. Unfortunately mine did not have such an option, which i believe may be caused by bad bios settings?
I have 256 GB SSD drive. If you could let me know how how can i do it (can i even install windows uefi using dvd and not some iso and usb drive?).

Also, when i simply enabled secure boot i lost all my boot options - i must be missing more options, but i can't see anything resembling UEFI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
11 REPLIES 11

GhostriderZ85
Level 7
Did you do fresh install? If not then then it should already be in uefi, no need to change anything. Does the ROG logo comes up at boot?

benjmyers1
Level 7
If you did a 'fresh' install, then you didn't make your install a uefi install. Go back into bios, and reset to default settings, reboot, and install from your newly made usb stick using the following instructions:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

benjmyers1 wrote:
If you did a 'fresh' install, then you didn't make your install a uefi install. Go back into bios, and reset to default settings, reboot, and install from your newly made usb stick using the following instructions:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

You are right, I checked windows install log and it detected bios, not uefi.
Am i safe enough with resetting bios to default that i can't possibly break anything by doing that ? 🙂

Thanks for instructions, will follow through!

GhostriderZ85
Level 7
No need to touch anythin in the bios, you NEED a usb drive to install uefi, and yes the UEFI has to appear next to your drive in order to install in uefi mode. I can walk you through it if you need.

GhostriderZ85
Level 7
1. Get a usb drive
2. Restore defaults in bios
3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
4. Press esc rapidly right after powering on your lappy
5. Select UEFI:nameoftheusbdrive
6. Custom install
7. Select and delete all partitions
8. Select your main hard drive and click new
9. Verify that there are 4 partitions created on your main hard drive
10. Proceed to install
11. ??????
12. Profit?

GhostriderZ85 wrote:
1. Get a usb drive
2. Restore defaults in bios
3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
4. Press esc rapidly right after powering on your lappy
5. Select UEFI:nameoftheusbdrive
6. Custom install
7. Select and delete all partitions
8. Select your main hard drive and click new
9. Verify that there are 4 partitions created on your main hard drive
10. Proceed to install
11. ??????
12. Profit?

I am creating a bootable USB as we speak 🙂
May I ask why 4 partitions in point 9?

naw, just delete all the partitions, you don't need any, start with a fresh drive....I did NOT use the asus fresh install.....just used a microsoft winodws 8.1 clean install disk, just make sure you make the usb install disk uefi bootable with RUFUS, like i said in my last post

GhostriderZ85
Level 7
I am on the road and i can't remember what are those partitions but that is the difference between the uefi install and the regular install, if there are less than 4 partitions then it's not uefi

Yes BIOS install only has 2 partitions
Really since you have installed MBR you'll need to use Diskpart to clean and convert your SSD to GPT
I thinks the eightforum tutorial you were linked to will walk you through the Diskpart and install with no issues.

You should download all your hardware drivers from Asus Support Downloads

This Thread will show you what order to load your drivers etc its for the G75 but except for downloading the correct drivers for your notebook all else would be the same
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro