cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G771JW(with AC 7260) can't connect to WIFI for the life of me...

vlatko27
Level 7
Hey everybody.

I just got this laptop and it has been a disaster trying to set up. It came with freedos, so I booted up a 8.1 Pro .iso and did a fresh install. I installed all the drivers listed on Asus' website and also downloaded latest chipset drivers and wifi drivers from Intel, as well as nVidia 960M drivers from nVidia website(I basically followed the sticky guide from this forum).

So, everything works expcept WIFI. I can't connect to my home wifi at all. I am at my wits end. I would think the wifi card is broken but if I make a wifi hotspot on my android phone, the notebook connects to it just fine. When I try to connect to my home wifi it says "Can't connect to this network".

I called my ISP and they tried to help me out for a while but all my other devices connect just fine so...they say there's nothing they can do. 😕

The drivers installed for the card are version 17.13.11.5. The router from my ISP is Cisco EPC2425. I tried googling about this and found I am not the only one but I found no solution.

Any help is appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

krmk
Level 7
Maybe you have some issues unrelated with asus? Perhaps MAC filetring in router? If i were you, i'd create an open network (no security options at all) just for 2 minutes to verify you can actually connect then. If you can you know the reason is in your router settings.

Hope you figure it out 🙂

krmk wrote:
Maybe you have some issues unrelated with asus? Perhaps MAC filetring in router? If i were you, i'd create an open network (no security options at all) just for 2 minutes to verify you can actually connect then. If you can you know the reason is in your router settings.

Hope you figure it out 🙂

I already tried and open network, no go. I checked the router's settings as well, there's no mac filtering enabled. I even tried to add the card's mac address manually and nothing.

hmscott
Level 12
vlatko27 wrote:
Hey everybody.

I just got this laptop and it has been a disaster trying to set up. It came with freedos, so I booted up a 8.1 Pro .iso and did a fresh install. I installed all the drivers listed on Asus' website and also downloaded latest chipset drivers and wifi drivers from Intel, as well as nVidia 960M drivers from nVidia website(I basically followed the sticky guide from this forum).

So, everything works expcept WIFI. I can't connect to my home wifi at all. I am at my wits end. I would think the wifi card is broken but if I make a wifi hotspot on my android phone, the notebook connects to it just fine. When I try to connect to my home wifi it says "Can't connect to this network".

I called my ISP and they tried to help me out for a while but all my other devices connect just fine so...they say there's nothing they can do. 😕

The drivers installed for the card are version 17.13.11.5. The router from my ISP is Cisco EPC2425. I tried googling about this and found I am not the only one but I found no solution.

Any help is appreciated.

vlatko27, that is a really old device 🙂

Cisco DPC/EPC2425 Wireless Residential Gateway with Embedded Digital Voice
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/modem_DPC2425.html#~drivers,

"DPW 700 & DPW 730
802.11b Wireless LAN
Version 3.3.4.40C
Note: This version release addresses compatibility with 802.11g devices and is being provided "as is" without any warranty
Note: You must burn these files to a CD and then install them from the CD. You must also un-install the old software using the old CD."

Compatibility for move from 802.11b to 802.11g... and putting the installer on a CD... that was a really long time ago 🙂

Ask your ISP/cable provider for a new device, it's way past time for them to give you a new unit - you probably have been paying for that thing monthly for years. If they won't give you a new unit, cancel the service and return the hardware, then re-order the service and get the new hardware - they are giving away new hardware with new installs.

Better, buy your own cable modem and Wireless router, 2 separate units, and stop paying monthly for that piece of junk.

It is amazing how many people just keep paying for the same outdated hardware every month. That $5-10/month payment for years for rapidly outdated hardware really add's up!

The best modem out right now, AFAIK, is this one:

MOTOROLA SB6121 SURFboard Cable Modem Up To 172 Mbps Down and 131 Mbps Up RJ-45, Gigabit Ethernet DOCSIS 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1, Euro-DOCSIS 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122015

The price of $69 is way low right now, $30 off, I wonder if a newer replacement is on the way... it is the model I use and paid $89 for on sale.

As far as routers, lets stick to Asus - it is their forum after all 🙂

Here are some choices deemed "for gaming" by newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001315&IsNodeId=1&Description=PPSSRVXR...

Here is a wide range of Asus Wireless routers 802.11n and faster, starting at $34 !!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100010076%2050001315%20600014...

So, you don't have to spend a lot of $ to get your own equipment. You will need to call the provider and let them know you are adding your own Cable modem - they need to enter the MAC address from that device into their support configuration - or you could just take the existing MAC address and duplicate it onto the new Cable modem and swap them - I recommend calling 🙂

If you can't afford an expensive Wireless router to start, then save up and get one later. Whatever you look at getting, definitely Google for it's model name/number and Intel 7260 to check for compatibility complaints before ordering your's 🙂

Please come back and let us know what you decide to use and how it works out 🙂

Hey hmscott, thanks for a very informative reply. I will definitely try and force my ISP to provide a new modem(I doubt they allow use of personal hardware). I will also bring my notebook to work tomorrow and see if it connects there(where we use a different ISP and router).

Will let you know how it all unfolds.

EDIT: I had to run off to work urgently and brought my notebook. It connected fine to my work wifi no problem, and also to my the coffe shop across the street. All with no issue.

Got a new N capable router/modem and works like a charm now. Thanks to all.

vlatko27 wrote:
Got a new N capable router/modem and works like a charm now. Thanks to all.

vlatko27, that's great news 🙂

What did you end up getting?

vlatko27
Level 7
http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/connected-home/modems-gateways/cable-modems-gateway...

I've never heard of the brand but it works and it seems like a newer device, so if everything keeps working, I'm good.