New ROGer Array

GTX980 + Asus ROG + Gsync + time = Corruption

I originally posted this on the Geforce forums, but someone there pointed me to "inversion" topics on the ROG forums.

I am having trouble where randomly while gaming (WoW usually, "The Talos Principle" sometimes) my screen will flicker and become corrupt in a very odd way. I've attached a screenshot. It's like every-other column is flipped. In the picture, the OSD of the monitor is clear, but the desktop text/window behind it is messed up. Also, the monitor is set to its native 2560x1440 resolution.

I've had the monitor (Asus ROG PG278Q) for about 4 months but the problem has only started over the last month. I've had the gtx980 the whole time. There have been a few driver upgrades since it has started happening but I don't know if a certain driver changed things.

It doesn't happen every day then it can happen twice in one gaming session. It's annoying because the only way that I've found to fix it is to hit the "turbo" button on the monitor which tries to change the refresh rate from 144Hz to 60Hz and the monitor will go blank, then the driver will hang and usually when it restarts itself (driver, not PC) it will come back clear and I can set the refresh rate back to 144Hz. Turning the monitor off then on again does not fix it.

Also, even more recently (actually while I am writing this), the monitor (or video, who knows) has started flashing once in a while but I checked the windows event log and there is no error, warning or any event that aligns with the time.

I've tried the monitor at 144Hz w/o Gsync and it seems to be fine with using it for a few days. I tried 120Hz+Gsync and it seemed to be good for WoW but "The Talos Principle" game (on Steam) froze/crashed a few times and once had the inversion issue. When I alt-tabbed to see if the inversion affected the desktop, the computer froze. I didn't have this problem with the 144Hz+Gsync problems.

Here are my system stats:

CPU: Intel i7-4770k (small OC to 4.0 GHz)
    MB: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H-CF
    Memory: 8gig (2x 4gig) PC3-12800
    Graphics: Gigabyte GV-N980D5-4GD-B (Looks like reference card)
    Driver: Nvidia 347.88
    Monitor: Asus ROG PG278Q (set to 144Hz w/ Gsync enabled)

Any ideas? I don't have access to another Gsync monitor OR another video card with Gsync, so I can't figure out if it is the video card, driver, or monitor. Ug!
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 20150411_212037.jpg  

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Volt PC Specs
    Volt PC Specs
    MotherboardGIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 ATX
    Processori7-4790K 4.0 GHz
    Memory (part number)ADATA 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1nVidia Gefroce GTX 1080 w/8 GB
    Sound CardMotherboard G1 - Creative Sound Core3D
    MonitorASUS Rog PG348Q Swift
    Storage #1250 GB Samsung 850 Pro
    Storage #22TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III
    CPU CoolerAsetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D
    Keyboard Corsair K70 STRAFE
    Mouse Logitech Pro
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC88U

Maybe try using the latest nVidia driver 350.12 (release 4/13/2015)?

New ROGer Array

Sorry, I copied the summary from my Geforce.com forum post which is over a week old. I'm on 350.12 driver now, but the problem still happens. I don't think it is the same as the "inversion" that SWIFT people talk about since each vertical band seems to be a few pixels wide.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Volt PC Specs
    Volt PC Specs
    MotherboardGIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 ATX
    Processori7-4790K 4.0 GHz
    Memory (part number)ADATA 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1nVidia Gefroce GTX 1080 w/8 GB
    Sound CardMotherboard G1 - Creative Sound Core3D
    MonitorASUS Rog PG348Q Swift
    Storage #1250 GB Samsung 850 Pro
    Storage #22TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III
    CPU CoolerAsetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D
    Keyboard Corsair K70 STRAFE
    Mouse Logitech Pro
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC88U

Oh okay.

If the problem started sometime last month, then you might want to try using an earlier version nVidia driver from before that time. That would an easy check. Especially with not having access to additional hardware to test things with.

It might also be a be a loose video cable. And check your video card is seated correctly. In case you had moved your system, or had moved things around, etc.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have just rma'd mine due to gsync flickering and the inversion issues. Also I have another problem where gsync is stuttering, When I turn gsync off smooth as butter, with it on sometimes I get random stutter so most of the time im not even bothering to use it. Hopefully I get a replacement screen that does not have these issues. Otherwise would prefer a full refund I really regret buying this monitor

ROG Member Array

A weak/dying HDD or improperly setup SSD/Sata connection will be exacerbated with g-sync and/or 144hz refresh rates. Speaking from personal experience, resolving these storage issues solved similarly described issues. It may not be your solution but its worth an inspection.