cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z bios freezing after a few seconds of trying to adjust anything

ninjamonkeyz
Level 7
This is not a new mobo to me, I have had it for a couple of years now, with the same hardware installed, have always had an issue with the combination of 2 memory kits I purchased with 2 orders of the same everything g.skills Ripjaws 1866 2x8Gb cas 9, I have FX-8350 CPU with standard water loop attached for cooling the cpu has not been recently reseated but has in the past, the bios has the most recent updates, my GFX is a gtx 660 Ti made by MSI, Fans are set to pull from the front and on the side panel into the case and blow hot air out of the top of case and 2 fans are used 1 on each side to help push the air through the liquid cooling loops radiator iforgetname, my PSU is very old it is from an older gaming rig I had around 2004 but was the only available psu that had all the cords that were needed to power everything on including the motherboard, it is a 750w regular nonmodular bunch of sleeved wires that were too annoying to work with the my mid tower's designed areas for cord organization which was not practical for these cords so the unused portion of these massive cords were tied up with a shoe string and pushed into a corner as far away from air flow and working hardware as I could get them... But I have been having this issue for a while now I kept blaming the PSU and swearing to get a new one even have one ready to go in an online shopping cart, but I am honestly not so sure that the problem is the psu, the only part things I am having freeze up like that is the bios screen specifically... I do not know how to diagnose that or what may be the cause, and what steps I need to take to narrow it down, and I do not have a voltage meter have been meaning to get one of those too, .. Hmm... Trying to think of anything else I left out, my Operating System is Windows 8.1 x64 bit ... My timings are set to optimized defaults and left that way since I was able to hit f11 and save before the bios screen freeze happened the first few times I had experienced it this was months ago, However I recently attempted to go into bios again tonight just to have the problem not be something that went away..... So I did the only reasonable thing I could think to do and decided to put the problem in front of some more knowledgeable people . I would like to thank everyon in advance for any help on solving this issue, and if I posted this to the wrong section in the forums then I apologize but message me the direction to which area it should go in before deleting it. Thank you
1 REPLY 1

D_V_D
Level 7
I have a similar problem and we have somewhat the same specs...When i enter into uefi bios it freezes on me(sometimes but most of the times only the mouse...i can still modify the bios by keyboard then)...at first i thought is because i had an old PSU(Enermax Liberty 620w - year 2010 or something)...because that PSU had only 4+4 pin for CPU and the MB could take much more...but i have 2 days since i have the new PSU and it still freezes at times...My settings in bios are on AUTO...but i tried in OC mode and is the same problem...

I hope you find the answer...
MB = Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z info
CPU = AMD Fx-8350 Bios 2101info
RAM = Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2x8Gb) 2133 KHX21C11T3K2/16X info
GPU = Asus GTX 980 Matrix Platinum info
SSD = Kingston HyperX 3K 240Gb
HDD = WD 500Gb +WD 3x1TB(fzex)
PSU = Corsair AX760i info
CPU Cooler = Thermaltake Nic C4
Display = Sony KDL-32w706b info
Mouse = A4Tech Bloody Gun3 V7
Keyboard = SteelSeries APEX info