Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Over heating

GIJoe101st
    The reference is the system shuts down under load. It is fine when I'm running normal programs, but once I start gaming the north bridge gets extremely hot. If I do not have my little fan running at top speed it gets extremely hot. Once I start the computer back up during the boot phase it says that there was a IOH Overheating, and that I need to press F1 to finish booting. I have been having this issue for a while. I also know three other people that have the same issue.

GIJoe101st
    Hey Brian I was wondering if I change out the thermal paste if that voids my warranty?

TheBeast
    I have had a R3E since July, running a i7 920 D0 @ 4Ghz along with 12gb of ram and 2 GTX480s in SLI and I have yet had it shut down due to overheating. I am using the extra fan on teh northbridge, only because I am using a Corsair H50 for cooling on the processor.

Have you checked to see if your power supply is putting out clean power?

I am running a Corsair AX1200 power supply, and was running a Corsair TX950 before that and never had heat issues.

What about case ventilation?

GIJoe101st
    Well I just bought a new Danger Den water block for my motherboard. I will give it a test this weekend to make sure everything is running smooth.

Brian@ASUS
    what is your IOH temp? Replacing the yellow paste shouldn't void warranty, and may only help a little. if you can feel your heatsink getting hot, that means the heatsink is doing its job by dissipating the heat, if anything they may be something wrong with the board. Have you ran prime or any other stress benchmarks?

Victus
    My IOH sits around 60, idle and when I'm benching Crysis or running Prim95. Just for comparison.

I left ASUS, please contact cl-scott Array

Hi, GiJoe. I don't know what temps. you're actually getting but if it's throwing the IOH overtemp message during POST then it sounds like there is not proper contact between the chip and the heatsink/fan block. When it overheats and shuts down, if you touch the heatsink, is it very hot or just warm to the touch? Were you having IOH overheating issues with the stock heatsink and still having same overheating issues when you installed your own block? If that's the case then maybe the board's sensors are faulty and you would need to send it in for RMA. Also, can you use PC Probe II, or Everest / Aida64 to monitor the IOH temp. and report back what temps. you're getting idle and under load? In PC Probe II, you can set the warning threshold temp. to be 80C, so when it hits 80C while gaming, it will minimize the game and display a temp. warning pop-up message. If the IOH is overheating then adding an extra fan will do the trick. If I place a 120mm fan over the IOH on my test bench with one side resting on the CPU HSF and other end resting on IOH heatsink, the IOH temps. drop considerably. This solution ovbiously won't work inside of a case but you can use something like the Antec Spot Cool which will let you point the fan right at whatever you want it to cool.

GIJoe101st
    Ok I have figured out what was wrong and have fixed my issue for good. To start I took off the entire block. When I looked at the north bridge block it didn't look like it had good contact with the chip. The second thing that looked a bit off was the compound was all dried up and very very brittle.

I had to do something pretty drastic to fix my issue though. I ended up selling my iZ3D system that I had just received so I could purchase a Danger Den water block. It really hurt me to do this but I had come to the realization that if I didn't have a working computer I wouldn't even be able to use a 3D monitor. All of my temps are nice and cool now. Thank you to everybody that has responded to this thread.

Brian_Jang
    gijoe, another concern is, your chipset should be running find even without a waterblock. so the concern is, is your chipset overheating irregularly or if you had put the block back on with thermal compound, would it be running ok?

TeamROG Folding@Home Array ottoyu34 PC Specs
    ottoyu34 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus IX Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 7700K
    Memory (part number)Trident Z RGB (F4-3600C16D-16GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix GTX1080 Ti OC
    MonitorLG IPS LED 27"
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB
    Storage #2Crucial MX300 525GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H115i
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Ed.
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
    Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K65
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Mouse Pad Razer Destructor
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-2300 2.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterAsus RT-N66U

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe101st View Post
    Ok I have figured out what was wrong and have fixed my issue for good. To start I took off the entire block. When I looked at the north bridge block it didn't look like it had good contact with the chip. The second thing that looked a bit off was the compound was all dried up and very very brittle.

I had to do something pretty drastic to fix my issue though. I ended up selling my iZ3D system that I had just received so I could purchase a Danger Den water block. It really hurt me to do this but I had come to the realization that if I didn't have a working computer I wouldn't even be able to use a 3D monitor. All of my temps are nice and cool now. Thank you to everybody that has responded to this thread.
    Sorry to hear that, but the mobo should work with its stock cooling, if you are able to fix the issue by replacing a better TIM throughout the entire Mobo. that would be the best situation. Elsewise, I would agree to Mason's suggestion to RMA the board. This way we could find the real cause of the issue and fix it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast